all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Well… how’d it go Larry?
Not very well…my son has been sick for two weeks and I started coming down with it. Was very stuffy and had bad post nasal drip. Held a 9 min pace through 15 then I started bonking hard. Just all my energy was sapped. I’m actually proud of myself for not walking the last six miles after my wife left me (She thought i was done.) Finished in under 4:30 so nothing to be ashamed of. Even puked several times after the finish line, lips were numb, and had to take a power nap next to Buckingham fountain. Never felt like that after a race.
Reflecting back on my training cycle I really need to dedicate more time to speed/tempo work. Gonna take a little time off and ease back into a strength cycle (I’m still hobbling around).
Plan is to do a hypertrophy cycle a la Neupert’s MKM (thinking shoulder smoker), then follow it up with ROP at 28k.
Idk when my next race will be, I was swearing them off in those last six miles. I think I want to try an OCR.

Not very well…my son has been sick for two weeks and I started coming down with it. Was very stuffy and had bad post nasal drip. Held a 9 min pace through 15 then I started bonking hard. Just all my energy was sapped. I’m actually proud of myself for not walking the last six miles after my wife left me (She thought i was done.) Finished in under 4:30 so nothing to be ashamed of. Even puked several times after the finish line, lips were numb, and had to take a power nap next to Buckingham fountain. Never felt like that after a race.
Reflecting back on my training cycle I really need to dedicate more time to speed/tempo work. Gonna take a little time off and ease back into a strength cycle (I’m still hobbling around).
Plan is to do a hypertrophy cycle a la Neupert’s MKM (thinking shoulder smoker), then follow it up with ROP at 28k.
Idk when my next race will be, I was swearing them off in those last six miles. I think I want to try an OCR.
Great work finishing Larry. OCRs are a lot of fun.

If you're looking at MKM, I like Clean 'Em Up and Sir Snatch A Lot. You didn't ask. But ... y'know...

Great work finishing Larry. OCRs are a lot of fun.

If you're looking at MKM, I like Clean 'Em Up and Sir Snatch A Lot. You didn't ask. But ... y'know...
I was looking at clean em up too. My logic is i want to do shoulder hypertrophy before doing shoulder strength with ROP. That’s my half baked logic at least.

I was looking at clean em up too. My logic is i want to do shoulder hypertrophy before doing shoulder strength with ROP. That’s my half baked logic at least.
Fair! I think there's similar pressing between them. Haha my logic is much simpler - I don't like double swings or double high pulls so I try to avoid them. ROFL

Fair! I think there's similar pressing between them. Haha my logic is much simpler - I don't like double swings or double high pulls so I try to avoid them. ROFL
I’m not dissimilar, but I don’t really have that much experience with them either so I wanted to give em’ a try. I did you don’t know squat before so I’ve experienced the cleans.

Well… some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you…

I don’t run races anymore and only very, very few organized bike events, partly for this reason. If I want to run 40k or ride 200k I can do it anytime and on my own terms.

That being said… OCR’s are difficult to do that… but they are a lot of fun. You should try one. Chicago has (had) some Spartan events in the area.

Well… some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you…

I don’t run races anymore and only very, very few organized bike events, partly for this reason. If I want to run 40k or ride 200k I can do it anytime and on my own terms.

That being said… OCR’s are difficult to do that… but they are a lot of fun. You should try one. Chicago has (had) some Spartan events in the area.
I really enjoy smaller races and going out on my own too. I really didn’t get much from that race tbh. Good one to check off the list though.

They do have spartans and tough mudder’s. I think they look fun.

Great job finishing Larry, much respect.

Yesterday’s practice: 10/15/22
Went hiking with a group of fella’s at starved rock/mathieson state parks. One of the guys was into climbing so we traversed a bunch of stuff together.
Later in the evening started testing out the new program and ended up doing the first day of the “shoulder smoker”.
3 rounds of this Complex:
6 swings
6 high pulls
6 snatches
6 presses
All with double 16’s, about 1:30 of work, 3 minutes of rest.
76CFBF79-F066-4DE0-833D-2C3E1B2CD686.jpeg
C69BEFC8-1290-43E4-8CA1-35CA8D685DF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday’s practice: 10/16/22
Trying to cement in my son’s two wheeler abilities before the long Chicago winter. Did over two miles jogging next to and catching him from falling.

Today’s practice: 10/17/22
Shoulder smoker light day
3 rounds of:
6 snatches
6 FSQ
6 presses
All at 16/16k, about 1 min of work to 2 minutes of rest.

Today’s practice: 10/18/22
5 mile bike ride to class
6 mile ride home
Teaching jump rope “tricks” to my students all afternoon. Was a good reminder to do these more often. Left me more winded than my typical jump rope session and emphasizes footwork.

Really enjoying being back to training. I should have made myself do more cross training during the marathon cycle but I just didn’t have the time or energy. Really enjoying the “shoulder smoker” program. Including the double high pulls, really making my double snatches better than ever.

Stick this program out for 6 weeks, then on to ROP in some form. I may hop on the block cycle bandwagon that @Bauer has going in the forum threads. I was enjoying running the bjj program during the marathon cycle when i could.

Blocks could look like:
ROP for two weeks @28k with a+a snatches @24k prior to pressing.
Hop off and do some form of the bjj c&j programming. I may want to try doing some doubles with this but have not decided yet. This is also a 2 day a week program, i may add a third “easy” day or a day of snatching.
Both of these will be accompanied by two or more days of easy cardio as well. Running, biking, jumping rope, or my usual walking.

Today’s practice: 10/23/22
1.25 mile jogging next to my youngest learning his 2 wheeler, whilst on our way to church.
1.25 miles back. He’s starting to get the hang of it (only 4), just can’t get the start off on his own.
Practiced soccer and gymnastics with the oldest for 30 mins before her soccer practice.
Shoulder smoker w2d1 in the afternoon
4 rounds of this complex:
6 DSW
6 DHP
6 DSN
6 DMP
1:10w : 2:20 rest @16/16k
Last round was a struggle, idk about heavy day this week…
Geoff’s programs leave me questioning myself.

Past couple of days of practice: 10/24/22-10/25/22
Bodyweight stuff, mobility and stretching.
Monday i did gtg pistol squats and was pretty happy with the mobility and reps (only 3) having not done them in a while. However they left my hamstrings really sore.
Yesterday I focused on bw core exercises. Hoping to get in medium day of shoulder smoker today at lunch.

Back
Top Bottom