all posts post new thread

Less is More

Mr. Al Ciampa graciously agreed to take me on as a student of strength. I'm grateful to have him in my corner as I prep for SFG1! You'll be seeing a bit more heavy snatching from me.
So cool! Enjoy the journey and the ride... I’m sure it will be wonderful

Up 5:00, train 6:30
30 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Toshner mobility complex​

The Snatch:
None; letting the skin heal.
Practicing patience 30s x 5r​

TGU:

None​

Conditioning:
20 min brisk walk in the morning sun!
Actually there wasn't much sun today. And it was only in the 50's.
But it was still nice out. It's hard to breathe in through the nose, because the air is so sweet that early that I want to drink it in.​

Up 5:00, train 7:15
30 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Toshner mobility complex
Gob sq, halos​

The Snatch:
10s x 5r
4s x 16k
6s x 24k​
  • Wore cotton gloves. Hands held up fairly well. Dislodged the skin over Mondays blisters, as expected. Thankfully, the blisters weren't very deep. Should be back to normal by Monday. They are healing faster than normal. I wonder if that's due to the aerobic training?
  • I need a bit more 'jumpy' knee bend, and a better shoulder pack at lockout. Working on this.
TGU:
1s x 1r
  • This might be the greatest exercise ever invented.
Conditioning:
30 min brisk walk in the morning sun!
It was gorgeous outside, if a bit cool.
Al's coaching on walking technique is paying dividends. Combined with the corrective exercises, my feet/ankles/lower legs/knees/hips have never felt better! I've never paid any attention to walking technique before.

Up 6:00, train 8:30
29 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Toshner mobility complex​

Conditioning:
85 min brisk walk in the morning sun! This was two big loops around the perimeter of the park.
The focus was on high quality walking, which took more acuity than I had anticipated. I'm more tired mentally than physically; I never had to resort to mouth breathing and the nasal breathing never got challenging. I did have to continually force myself to re-focus on what I was doing. My hips and knees communicated right away when my attention was straying. I'm learning how to pay rapt attention to my body's feedback, and what to adjust when I get the feedback. Tomorrow is a planned day off, but I'll get in a lazy walk in the park.
Misc:
In talking with Al, I've learned my nutrition could use optimizing. I'll be working on dialing that in. Nothing major, but minor tweaks can go a long way.
My callouses are healing nicely.​

Overall:
I've learned a lot this first week of A+A!​

Yesterday:
No training. Cleaned my pigsty of a condo.​

Today:
Up 6:00, train 8:00

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Rotating commando rocks
Pelvic Tilts
Armless superman
Arm & shoulder rotations
Squat jumps​

The Snatch:
10s x 5r
2s x 16k
8s x 24k
No gloves, lots of chalk. New skin held up nicely!
I'm pleased with these today. I did a better job with the drop. I kept the bell in much closer, and did more of a re-grip to keep the handle from rotating heavily in my hand.
I need to do a better job with lockout. About 25% of the time I'm not locking the hips correctly, and thus the bell lands in an unpacked shoulder. I focus so much on the drop I neglect the lockout. Need to simply be mindful of the lift as a flow.
Happily, these have never felt better.​

TGU:

1s x 1r, 28k
Smooth and controlled.​

Conditioning:
35 min walk in the morning sun!
Probably not as brisk as it could have been; the lovely 69 degree weather, girls jogging in skin-tight outfits, and morning sunshine distracted me a bit :)

Mr. Al Ciampa graciously agreed to take me on as a student of strength. I'm grateful to have him in my corner as I prep for SFG1! You'll be seefroing a bit more heavy snatching from me.
that's good. from glimpsing into your look you already have the attitude. you seem not to get distracted easily (apart when going for a walk and watch...), you like to do monotonous stuff day in day out and reflect on that. sometimes I think I learned something from Al...boring crazy stuff.

that's good. from glimpsing into your look you already have the attitude. you seem not to get distracted easily (apart when going for a walk and watch...), you like to do monotonous stuff day in day out and reflect on that. sometimes I think I learned something from Al...boring crazy stuff.
Thank you. The monotonous stuff is the foundation of strength.

(apart when going for a walk and watch...)
I am a Man. I can not help but admire Gods good work when it is placed before his humble, appreciative servant :)

Today:

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Rotating commando rocks
Rib pulls, brettzels, child's pose rotations, arm bars, bent arm bars​

Conditioning:
60 min walk
I need to focus better. My mind wanders all over the place during these longer sessions. This makes my breathing and technique less than optimal.​

Today:

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Rotating commando rocks

The Snatch
16k x 2s x 5r
24k x 4s x 5r
Rome was not built in a day, it's true. But they did lay a brick every day! Keeping this in mind as I put the ego in the back pocket and slowly build the NR while my skin adapts.​

TGU
1s x 1r, 24k​

Conditioning:
20 min walk
It was cold and rainy. I need to buy some rain gear.
But this was a good walk. Mechanics and breathing were on point. With the path being slippery, it actually helped to hone my mechanics. Nailing the mechanics actually made it easier to avoid slipping, so it helped to hone me in.​

Today:

Warm up:
Took lots of warm up moves to bring my brain online today
Toes/feet/ankles, downward dogs
Commando rocks, Rotating commando rocks
Pelvic tilts, armless superman, arm & shoulder rotations, squat jumps
Rib pulls, brettzels, child's pose rotations, arm bars, bent arm bars
The Snatch
16k x 2s x 5r
24k x 10s x 5r
Breathing During: inhale in sync with hip lockout, exhale on way down
<edit, exhale with hips, inhale on down>
Breathing Rest: Long inhale, pause, exhale​

TGU
1s x 1r, 24k​

Conditioning:
30 min walk.
Nasal Breathing - again long inhale, pause, exhale.​
Cold and rainy, but today I was armed with Under Armor Swacket pants.
Awesome product! :cool::cool::cool:
Very grateful for my progress this week! :D Got in 3 snatch sessions, with big improvements in technique in both The Snatch, walking, and breathing.

Last edited:
Warm up:
Took lots of warm up moves to bring my brain online today
Pelvic tilts, armless superman, arm & shoulder rotations, squat jumps
Rib pulls, brettzels, child's pose rotations, arm bars, bent arm bars
I'm tired just reading that!
I have had days like this as well so I know what you mean

I'm tired just reading that!
I felt physically fine, but my brain refused to boot up. So I kept adding one more move, one more move, one more move until I was able to focus on the task at hand.

My condo is currently the victim of a yellow jacket infestation. Buzzing stingy bees make it hard to focus when heavy face-smashy weight is over face. Landlord was finally able to get the association to send an exterminator tomorrow, so happy!

Today:
Up 7:00
28 weeks until Chicago SFG1

I may not train today. An exterminator is coming out between 9 & 11 to do war with the yellow jacket infestation.

Today:
Up 7:00, train 9:00
My hips were quite sore Friday, and slightly sore today; this indicates I'm moving along just right.​

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Rotating commando rocks

Conditioning:
70 min walk
This was a great session. I did a far better job with my breathing and mechanics. Seems as if focusing on a long inhale with a decent pause takes care of everything; makes my stride smaller, faster, kept hip flexion minimal, and makes my turnover quicker. I never had to breathe through my mouth, but I confess I'm a bit tired after this. I was considering transitioning to running soon, but the walking has my feet & lower legs feeling so great I may mix in the rucking first.

I am sleeping like the dead since I've started all the aerobic work. During the work week, I also get out of bed far easier. Despite The Snatch being much harder on my body than S&S, I also feel several notches better than I have in a while. The aerobic work super charges recovery.

Today:
Up 5:30, train 7:00

Warm up:
Pelvic tilts, armless superman, arm & shoulder rotations, squat jumps​

The Snatch

16k x 2s x 5r
24k x 12s x 5r​

TGU
1s x 1r, 28k

Conditioning:
20 min walk
Snatch Focus:
I'm locking out better. I view the lockout as a striking snake: very tight, but stretched out and tall with tension. Again, I need to a better job of locking out the hips/breath early and nailing the 'kid in class' arm lockout. It's as if the lockout is three phases: lockout hips/breath, arm lockout, final striking snake lockout where the bell is totally motionless. If I nail the striking snake, it gives me just a moment to to nail the regrip to ride the bell on the way back.

TGU Focus:
Smooth, controlled movement.

Conditioning:
It was absolutely gorgeous outside this morning. Half the benefit of this aerobic work likely comes from basking in the morning beauty. I might change my mind when the temperature starts to drop and the Chicagoland wind starts to blow!

Last edited:
Today:
Up 6:00, train 7:16

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Rotating commando rocks
Toes/feet/ankles
Downward dog​

Conditioning:

60 min walk
It's difficult retraining my body to stop thinking that fast stride = long stride. Need to use my arms a bit more to power faster foot turnover.​

Great job with the walking! I need that myself.... we all do. Hard to fit it into a busy day.

Back
Top Bottom