all posts post new thread

Luis’ Training Log

Friday, February 2.

Morning Session complete:

Farmer walk 28kg 40meters R/L, a few snatches with 24kg to warm up
Q&D 044; (28kg) Trained fasted. 40 reps 5/4, followed by 30-minute walk.

Evening:

Zercher Heavy (270) 5x5
military press light (115)
S.V.
Pull ups 2x6
Ab wheel 2x6

Last edited:
Saturday, February 3.

Morning: My back is feeling a slight pinch. If it feels good in the am then I will do 60 reps of Q&D 5/4 @ 28kg. If not, then I will do a light bike ride on the echo bike for 10-20 minutes. Zone 2

Evening:

Military Press Heavy (140) 5x5
deadlift light (295) 5x5
S.V.
See saw Press 2x6 (32kg)
Double kb front squat 2x6 (32kg)

Last edited:
Monday, February 5.

Was busy Saturday so did Saturday’s training on Sunday. And added in some Husafell carry. 20m x2(150) pounds.

Today, I was feeling a bit tight so I took a 30 minute brisk walk around the back of our property and am stretching/soaking in the hot tub.

Tuesday, February 6.

Morning:

Soaked in Hot tub, it made my back loosen up today. Took a 30 minute walk.

Evening:

Q&D 044 (28kg):
Rolled dice; Training Q&D 2x this week. Today 80 reps 5/4 rep scheme. (Good training session.)

Deadlift Heavy (340) 5x5
bench light (155) 5x5
S.V.
Sumo Deadlift (275) 3x5
Rows 3x5 (155, 170, 170)

Last edited:
SFG 2 Prep. 6 week peak for test day

I will be using the Rite Of Passage template for my training schedule. I will give myself 6ish weeks to peak for the event. This should be plenty of time. I feel especially ready since I was supposed to complete the Cert last September but had a setback and had to reschedule.

My plan is as follows: (Starting on March 11th Snatch Protocol and March 18th ROP ladders with 40kg)
Follow ROP ladders as laid out in the book on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday scheme. Tuesdays are Easy Strength Barbell days and Thursdays will be Easy Strength SFG 2 skills days.
I will use a 6-week peaking protocol with a Snatch Density (24kg) day(Mondays), Wednesdays is Heavy Snatches (5EMOM), using 28/32kg. Friday or Saturday is 5EMOM 1 or 2-hand Heavy Swing days.

I am going to try this routine out sometime too:

-"On the minute" for 10 to 20 minutes -2-3 × a week-Follow for 3-4 weeks

Routine:

Double Clean & Jerk + Snatch x 1
Perform "On the Minute" for 10 minutes. Every session add 2 minutes until you reach 20 minutes.

Then Perform 2 reps "OTM" starting @10min. Repeat the process until 20 minutes is achieved.

After performing 3 reps "OTM", repeat the process until 20 min. is achieved. Enjoy the pain!!!

Last edited:
SFG 2 Prep. 6 week peak for test day

I will be using the Rite Of Passage template for my training schedule. I will give myself 6ish weeks to peak for the event. This should be plenty of time. I feel especially ready since I was supposed to complete the Cert last September but had a setback and had to reschedule.

My plan is as follows: (Starting on March 11th Snatch Protocol and March 18th ROP ladders)
Follow ROP ladders as laid out in the book on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday scheme. Tuesdays are Easy Strength Barbell days and Thursdays will be Easy Strength SFG 2 skills days.
I will use a 6-week peaking protocol with a Snatch Density (24kg) day(Mondays), Wednesdays is Heavy Snatches (5EMOM), using 28/32kg. Friday or Saturday is 5EMOM 1 or 2-hand Heavy Swing days.
Lets go!

Thursday, February 8.

Morning:

Q&D 044 (28kg) 10/2 & 5/4 Alternating 60 reps. (Started on right) Felt powerful this morning. Training Fasted.

Trail walk after lunch. It’s going to be up to 60 Fahrenheit here! I guess that’s 15 Celsius.

Last edited:
I picked a date to commit to this year. I'm going to do my first strongman competition on August 3, 2024.

The events are as follows:

Axle Deadlift for reps, Axle Clean and Press for reps, Zercher Carry Yoke for distance, Keg over 52"bar, and a Hercules hold for max time.

I don't have any expectations for the event other than that I have wanted to do this for a couple of years and never feel like I'm strong enough to do it but I think entering will light a fire to channel my energy in the right direction. The last time I competed in anything was a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt division in 2019 and my body was beat up. It was shortly after that tournament that I discovered StrongFirst. I think it is time to compete again though.

Last edited:
Great events!
Participating in competitions is what makes us push ourselves in training. Having a specific goal on a specific date, really motivates you to train harder.
Yup I agree. I used to compete quite a bit in BJJ for about 15 years. I always have told people if you really want to get good fast then you should compete.

Last edited:
Saturday, February 10.

Morning: Snatch test training. Performed 7-9 reps every :30 for 5:00. Performed about 77. Walked around for 15:00 afterwards.

Military press Heavy (145) 5x5
deadlift light (295) 5x5
S.V.
1 arm kb military press 3x5 broken up.
5x36kg, (5x40kg, 5th rep slowed at about eye level, I contracted my muscles even hard, squeezed the bell and got it, on both sides!)2,3 x 44kg
Standing Ab wheel 3/3-5

Last edited:
Tuesday, February 13.

Bench Heavy (190) 5x5
zercher light (225) 5x4
S.V.
Ring Dips 3x6
Standing Ab Wheel 3x5 (Really helps to have an object in front of me to hit. Been rolling out into the sandbag on the floor and focusing on bracing hard.)

Walk and stretch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom