all posts post new thread

Luis’ Training Log

Friday, February 2.

Morning Session complete:

Farmer walk 28kg 40meters R/L, a few snatches with 24kg to warm up
Q&D 044; (28kg) Trained fasted. 40 reps 5/4, followed by 30-minute walk.

Evening:

Zercher Heavy (270) 5x5
military press light (115)
S.V.
Pull ups 2x6
Ab wheel 2x6

Last edited:
Saturday, February 3.

Morning: My back is feeling a slight pinch. If it feels good in the am then I will do 60 reps of Q&D 5/4 @ 28kg. If not, then I will do a light bike ride on the echo bike for 10-20 minutes. Zone 2

Evening:

Military Press Heavy (140) 5x5
deadlift light (295) 5x5
S.V.
See saw Press 2x6 (32kg)
Double kb front squat 2x6 (32kg)

Last edited:
Monday, February 5.

Was busy Saturday so did Saturday’s training on Sunday. And added in some Husafell carry. 20m x2(150) pounds.

Today, I was feeling a bit tight so I took a 30 minute brisk walk around the back of our property and am stretching/soaking in the hot tub.

Tuesday, February 6.

Morning:

Soaked in Hot tub, it made my back loosen up today. Took a 30 minute walk.

Evening:

Q&D 044 (28kg):
Rolled dice; Training Q&D 2x this week. Today 80 reps 5/4 rep scheme. (Good training session.)

Deadlift Heavy (340) 5x5
bench light (155) 5x5
S.V.
Sumo Deadlift (275) 3x5
Rows 3x5 (155, 170, 170)

Last edited:
SFG 2 Prep. 6 week peak for test day

I will be using the Rite Of Passage template for my training schedule. I will give myself 6ish weeks to peak for the event. This should be plenty of time. I feel especially ready since I was supposed to complete the Cert last September but had a setback and had to reschedule.

My plan is as follows: (Starting on March 11th Snatch Protocol and March 18th ROP ladders with 40kg)
Follow ROP ladders as laid out in the book on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday scheme. Tuesdays are Easy Strength Barbell days and Thursdays will be Easy Strength SFG 2 skills days.
I will use a 6-week peaking protocol with a Snatch Density (24kg) day(Mondays), Wednesdays is Heavy Snatches (5EMOM), using 28/32kg. Friday or Saturday is 5EMOM 1 or 2-hand Heavy Swing days.

I am going to try this routine out sometime too:

-"On the minute" for 10 to 20 minutes -2-3 × a week-Follow for 3-4 weeks

Routine:

Double Clean & Jerk + Snatch x 1
Perform "On the Minute" for 10 minutes. Every session add 2 minutes until you reach 20 minutes.

Then Perform 2 reps "OTM" starting @10min. Repeat the process until 20 minutes is achieved.

After performing 3 reps "OTM", repeat the process until 20 min. is achieved. Enjoy the pain!!!

Last edited:
SFG 2 Prep. 6 week peak for test day

I will be using the Rite Of Passage template for my training schedule. I will give myself 6ish weeks to peak for the event. This should be plenty of time. I feel especially ready since I was supposed to complete the Cert last September but had a setback and had to reschedule.

My plan is as follows: (Starting on March 11th Snatch Protocol and March 18th ROP ladders)
Follow ROP ladders as laid out in the book on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday scheme. Tuesdays are Easy Strength Barbell days and Thursdays will be Easy Strength SFG 2 skills days.
I will use a 6-week peaking protocol with a Snatch Density (24kg) day(Mondays), Wednesdays is Heavy Snatches (5EMOM), using 28/32kg. Friday or Saturday is 5EMOM 1 or 2-hand Heavy Swing days.
Lets go!

Thursday, February 8.

Morning:

Q&D 044 (28kg) 10/2 & 5/4 Alternating 60 reps. (Started on right) Felt powerful this morning. Training Fasted.

Trail walk after lunch. It’s going to be up to 60 Fahrenheit here! I guess that’s 15 Celsius.

Last edited:
I picked a date to commit to this year. I'm going to do my first strongman competition on August 3, 2024.

The events are as follows:

Axle Deadlift for reps, Axle Clean and Press for reps, Zercher Carry Yoke for distance, Keg over 52"bar, and a Hercules hold for max time.

I don't have any expectations for the event other than that I have wanted to do this for a couple of years and never feel like I'm strong enough to do it but I think entering will light a fire to channel my energy in the right direction. The last time I competed in anything was a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt division in 2019 and my body was beat up. It was shortly after that tournament that I discovered StrongFirst. I think it is time to compete again though.

Last edited:
Great events!
Participating in competitions is what makes us push ourselves in training. Having a specific goal on a specific date, really motivates you to train harder.
Yup I agree. I used to compete quite a bit in BJJ for about 15 years. I always have told people if you really want to get good fast then you should compete.

Last edited:
Saturday, February 10.

Morning: Snatch test training. Performed 7-9 reps every :30 for 5:00. Performed about 77. Walked around for 15:00 afterwards.

Military press Heavy (145) 5x5
deadlift light (295) 5x5
S.V.
1 arm kb military press 3x5 broken up.
5x36kg, (5x40kg, 5th rep slowed at about eye level, I contracted my muscles even hard, squeezed the bell and got it, on both sides!)2,3 x 44kg
Standing Ab wheel 3/3-5

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom