all posts post new thread

Mars Attacks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have been feeling ill for the last couple of days and skipped S&S. It's not bad and getting a bit better but whenever I tried S&S i felt really weak and tired quickly. On Tuesday I crashed pretty hard after my 1 hour walk and slept for 2 hours. So I stay on the safe side and get some extra rest.

I am all rested and back at it again. But I started out easy with a 20kg KB. :) Tomorrow I will use the 24kg KB and the day after that I will give the 28kg KB a try again. Next week I will finally tape a 1,25kg plate to it and progress from there.

Log Nr. 2, Day 48:
Morning
H2H Swings: 20kg 10x10
TGU: 20kg 5x1 per arm

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 50:
Morning
H2H Swings: 28kg 10x10
TGU: 28kg 5x1 per arm

Friday
Log Nr. 2, Day 51:
Morning
H2H Swings: 28kg 10x10
TGU: 28kg 5x1 per arm

This week was interesting because it reminded me again how different the competition 28kg KB feels compared to my lighter "fitness" KBs. The fitness KBs feel much nicer to use and the competition KB like a lump of led with a handle welded on. Given that it is a cheap no-brand competition KB and the heaviest of my KB I don't know how it compares to other types. But it really makes me question what kind of 32kg KB I want to buy. For swings it is ok. But when it comes to TGU, presses or just holding it in the rack position it feels way worse than the 24kg KB with an extra 2,5kg taped onto it.

I tried a different warmup using more dynamic stretches today. Nothing fancy but it did the job.

Log Nr. 2, Day 54:
Morning
Warmup*
2H Swings: 29,5kg 10x10
TGU: 29,5kg 5x1 per arm

Man, even though I started preparing in November Christmas is getting a bit hectic. I could take a cheap Corona antigen test at work and took 2 per week for the last 6 weeks. Turns out these tests are not really meant to check if you can infect other people, just if you already have enough antibodies that can be detected. Main advantage is simply to screen out people who aren't all that sick that wouldn't get caught otherwise. It's my fault for not checking. But I am a little bit pissed because I thought I could visit the family and feel confident in not being a risk to them. I did a PCR test after work today but they said it will take at least 48 hours to get to the lab results. Bummer.

Log Nr. 2, Day 57:
Afternoon
Warmup*
1H Swings: 29,5kg 10x10

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you and your loved ones are well and can find a way celebrate in these difficult times.

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 58:
Afternoon
Goblet Squat: 29,5kg 5x3
2H Swings: 29,5kg 10x10
------
No S&S, just messing around with a 16kg KB over the holidays.
------
Log Nr. 2, Day 59*:
Morning
Circuit:
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3)x3 per side
-1 Arm Row: 16kg (2,4,6)x3 per side
-Pistol Box Squat to Chair: BW (1,2,3)x3 per side

Log Nr. 2, Day 60*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps on the minute every minute, 14 minutes, jogging in place as active recovery

This felt very easy and I could have gone much longer. But my shoulder feel fatigued afterwards and it is good I stopped at "easy".

Saturday
Log Nr. 2, Day 61*:
Evening
Circuit:
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3)x3 per side
-1 Arm Row: 16kg (2,4,6)x3 per side
-Pistol Box Squat to Chair: BW (1,2,3)x3 per side

KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps on the minute every minute, 14 minutes, jogging in place as active recovery

Monday
Log Nr. 2, Day 62*:
Afternoon
Circuit:
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3)x4 per side
-1 Arm Row: 16kg (2,4,6)x4 per side
-Pistol Box Squat to Chair: BW (1,2,3)x4 per side

These short little workouts are fun. The 16kg KB is probably too light to improve my physical fitness but exploring other KB exercises and getting some practice in is a great change of pace from S&S.

Tuesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 63*:
Afternoon
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 16 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 64*:
Afternoon
Circuit:

Thursday
Log Nr. 2, Day 65*:
Morning
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 18 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Starting Monday I can go back to my regular S&S workouts. My short break from it was nice and I want to stick with my RoP inspired routine for a while longer. But I am not sure for how long. The 16kg KB is light enough that I could probably power through to a RoP style 5 ladders of (1,2,3,4,5) reps. But that would be at least 3 more weeks if I don't underestimate the difficulty. And a weight light enough to do 75 reps with after such a short training cycle will probably not help me with the Simple goal. On the one hand it would be an interesting experiment to see how the 28kg KB feels afterwards. On the other hand my goal of reaching S&S is clear enough and I have derailed my journey there plenty. What to do? No idea :D

Friday
Log Nr. 2, Day 66*:
Evening
Circuit:

Saturday
Log Nr. 2, Day 67*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 20 minutes, jogging as active recovery

More of the same. One thing I noticed when doing snatches is that it feels more awkward to do them in the living room than outside. No idea why. Over the holidays I trained outside with my 16kg KB I brought with me and I really enjoyed my snatch/jog sessions. Back in my flat not so much.

Monday
Log Nr. 2, Day 68*:
Evening
Circuit:
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3)x5 per side
-1 Arm Row: 16kg (2,4,6)x5 per side
-KB Sumo DL: 2x20kg (1,2,3)x5

Tuesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 69*:
Evening

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 70*:
Evening
Circuit:

Thursday
Log Nr. 2, Day 71*:
Evening

Last edited:
Today I did 5 ladders up to 4 reps and think 5 ladders up to 4 reps are doable in a short period of time. So for now I will stick with my RoP-inspired detour. I will also try to use the "Serious Endurance" format for my snatches with the 16kg KB. Just 5 reps on the minute and without pushing myself too hard. Maybe going from S&S with the 28kg KB to so much volume is a bit much for the shoulders. But so far the 16kg KB feels light.

simple-to-serious-endurance.jpg

Friday
Log Nr. 2, Day 72*:
Evening
Circuit:

Saturday
Log Nr. 2, Day 73*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 22 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Monday
Log Nr. 2, Day 74*:
Evening
Circuit:
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3,4)x5 per side
-1 Arm Row: 20kg (1,2,3,4)x5 per side
-KB Sumo DL: 2x20kg (1,2,3,4)x5

Last edited:
Skipped yesterday. Had a lot to do and had to get to bed early.

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 75*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 10 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom