all posts post new thread

Mars Attacks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
At the start of the year I started a daily squat challenge and although I don't consider it worth logging I will do so anyways just to keep it on my mind. In case anyone wonders: I started with 5 sets of 30 secs with 30 secs of rest done twice a day and build up to 5 sets of 60 secs with 60 secs of rest twice a day. I will now add 5 secs to the work period and subtract 5 secs from the rest period every week. Last year I tried Ido Portal's squat challenge and it was simply too much for me. This time I will start out with squats on my toes to give my hips and lower back a break while building up my lower legs and feet. Once I have built up up to 20 minutes a day I will work on 10 minute sets.

Thursday
Log Nr. 2, Day 76*:
Evening
Circuit (L):
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3)x5 per side
-1 Arm Row: 20kg (1,2,3)x5 per side
-KB Sumo DL: 2x20kg (1,2,3)x5

Daily Squat Challenge: 60s:60s (w:r)

Friday
Log Nr. 2, Day 77*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 16 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Daily Squat Challenge: 60s:60s (w:r)

Last edited:
Was away over the weekend. No KBs :(

Monday
Log Nr. 2, Day 78*:
Evening
Circuit (H):
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3,4)x5 per side
-1 Arm Row: 20kg (1,2,3,4)x5 per side
-KB Sumo DL: 2x20kg (1,2,3,4)x5

Daily Squat Challenge: 65sec:55sec (w:r)

I think I will be overtraining my shoulder a little bit going forward but other than that I am really happy with my little RoP inspired program. As slow as my progress was on S&S I think I may have started using the 28kg KB a bit prematurely. Higher reps with lighter weights leave me feeling much better and it's not only because I enjoy this program more than S&S. No idea if my body responds better to what I am doing right now or if I just have to pay much more attention to food and sleep than I did last year. The last two things are a problem in general. Lack of good sleep has been part of my life since high school (I wake up early and go to bed late) and I have to overcome my habit of going to bed way to late. But the food isseu should be easy to fix now that I am done with dieting. Oh well, let's see how I will do in the coming weeks.

Tuesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 79*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 24 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Last edited:
I think I will be overtraining my shoulder a little bit going forward but other than that I am really happy with my little RoP inspired program. As slow as my progress was on S&S I think I may have started using the 28kg KB a bit prematurely. Higher reps with lighter weights leave me feeling much better and it's not only because I enjoy this program more than S&S. No idea if my body responds better to what I am doing right now or if I just have to pay much more attention to food and sleep than I did last year. The last two things are a problem in general. Lack of good sleep has been part of my life since high school (I wake up early and go to bed late) and I have to overcome my habit of going to bed way to late. But the food isseu should be easy to fix now that I am done with dieting. Oh well, let's see how I will do in the coming weeks.

Tuesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 79*:
Evening
KB Snatch: 16kg, 5 reps EMOM, 24 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Hello, what is the daily squat challenge, a certain number of squats in X seconds?

Hello, what is the daily squat challenge, a certain number of squats in X seconds?

No, not quite. I do 5 rounds of this twice a day and I try to work up to 10 minutes twice a day. Because I don't keep an offline log I put the time in here to keep it on my mind. It's inspired by 30 day challenge from Ido Portal were you were supposed to accumulate a total of 30 minutes of sitting in the squat over the course of the day. I tried something like it last summer but it was way too hard on my body. I was about 20 pounds heavier than now but at about 90kg/200lbs and a sedentary lifestyle my feet, ankle, knees, hips and lower back still need to get used to the squat position.

Wednesday
Log Nr. 2, Day 80*:
Afternoon
Circuit (L):

Ok, today I gave my shoulders a brake and did the 32 minutes with 1 handed swings for sets of 10. It wasn't hard but I broke a good sweat and I see why some prefer swings over snatches even at a more advanced level.

Thursday
Log Nr. 2, Day 81*:
Evening
KB Swing: 16kg, 10 reps EMOM, 32 minutes, jogging as active recovery

Friday
Log Nr. 2, Day 82*:
Evening
Circuit (M):

Monday
Log Nr. 2, Day 83*:
Afternoon
Circuit (H):

Last edited:
Today I still felt yesterdays swing session. Maybe I should have cut it short after 20 minutes or so.

Saturday
Log Nr. 2, Day 87*:
Morning
Circuit (M):

Today I still felt yesterdays swing session. Maybe I should have cut it short after 20 minutes or so.

Saturday
Log Nr. 2, Day 87*:
Morning
Circuit (M):
Please enlighten me, what does Nr stand for? No rest, no rack?

Please enlighten me, what does Nr stand for? No rest, no rack?
It just means "number". I moved last summer and stopped logging here. When I started logging in September again I wanted to keep count of how many training sessions I have done and started to mark the entries with "Nr. 2" to avoid confusion later on.

Wow, this training session took a while to finish! Afterwards I drank a beer and ate some TexMexThaiCurryStew my GF made and almost fell asleep. Good to know to save the heavy day for Saturday. 5 ladders of 5 with 3 exercises take a lot more out you even with a relatively light weight.

Log Nr. 2, Day 88*:
Afternoon
Circuit (H):
-C&P: 16kg (1,2,3,4,5)x5 per side
-1 Arm Row: 20kg (1,2,3,4,5)x5 per side
-KB Sumo DL: 2x20kg (1,2,3,4,5)x5

This week I will skip the swings so I can finish the ladders and get back to S&S next week. I really like this type of training and will probably come back to it. But my goal is to meet the Simple standard from S&S and it has been almost a year since I started using KBs. I didn't commit to S&S from the start and the change of pace was good and gave me a fresh perspective. But I have been doing S&S since mid-march at the latest and I don't want to spend much more than a year to achieve this goal.

So starting next week I will commit to S&S with new energy and hopefully get to Simple in a timely manner. First week with the 24kg KB and shorter rest/active recovery for the swing part. Looking back I think I took too much time with the swings and I rushed through the TGUs. Then I will introduce the 28kg KB using the step progression from the book. The micro loading I used was fine but why not stick to the program as written?

Log Nr. 2, Day 89*:
Afternoon
Circuit (L):

And I am done with my little side project. :) It needs to be tweaked a bit but overall I liked it much more than S&S. Oh well, I still want to get to Simple first.

Log Nr. 2, Day 90*:
Afternoon
Circuit (M):

Log Nr. 2, Day 91:
Early Morning
Simple & Sinister:
-Warmup
-Swings: 24kg 10x10, 1 set every minute
-TGU: 24kg 5 reps per arm, 1 set every 1.5 minutes

Edit: Just wanted to add that the swings felt heavier than I expected after my detour with the 16kg KB but TGUs felt much lighter. Another thing I started doing was to time my sets. Compared to before the swing part felt rushed and like cardio. But TGUs felt like I could rest forever. I take from that that I could have done swings with shorter brakes but that I rushed throug the TGUs.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom