all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@MikeMoran did you notice any difference when you run KB strong with the FSQ. With the C and P it def has thickened up the shoulders and arms and for BJJ I feel very string on the mat. I have been trying to keep my pull ups in at least once a week with KB strong, compared to every day on the FP up program and they haven't suffered at all. Just wondering how you found the FSQ compared to CP??

I'm currently running KB STRONG with FSQ, I had originally planned to do the following progression as referenced on Geoff's site:

Best KB Exercise Progression For Fastest Results? [PRINT OUT] | Kettlebell Secrets

Using a pair of KBs I can Squat for 5 reps (double 32kgs)
Phase 1: DFSQ (Double front squat) 4-6 weeks
Phase 2: DPP (Double Push Press) 4-8 weeks
Phase 3: DMP (Double military press) 4-8 weeks
Phase 4: Double C&P for 8-12 weeks.

Unfortunatly I don't think my DPP technique is up to scratch, and I pulled my back slightly the other day practising a DPP. If by week 6 my DPP technique is passable I will continue with this original plan, but I may well do STRONG and the short course with DFSQ, then see about the DPP. If anyone has any insight into how this might affect my pressing power it'd be much appreciated. I Do really like these DFSQ (clearly a masochist at heart).

@MikeMoran did you notice any difference when you run KB strong with the FSQ. With the C and P it def has thickened up the shoulders and arms and for BJJ I feel very string on the mat. I have been trying to keep my pull ups in at least once a week with KB strong, compared to every day on the FP up program and they haven't suffered at all. Just wondering how you found the FSQ compared to CP??

Since the KB FSQ is very core intense along with the quads I got very very strong. Lost no pressing power at all and gained some kicking power I did not have before. I am looking forward to doing it again and also a session with the DPP as well.

I have a love hate relationship with the FSQ, it's a real grind,but I can see how it would really work with the Strong program and improve kicking power
@Devthew double 32kg by 5 that's good going..

I wouldn't say they were 5 nice reps, but hard grinding reps which Geoff reccomends. Will need to up my food intake soon I think!

Week 2 of KB strong moved up to the 28kg for the C and P and feel good with them, getting all the reps in with the cues that Geoff provides. The killer has been the one program, it's tough with the 24kg. I had been training with a mate who's a boxer o er Xmas and we're doing lots of burpees, punch out drills and sprints and I honesty didn't feel as wiped out as I do with the one program, what will it be like when it inverts to a 40 sec working period,
Great program!!lovingg it

@conor78 no joke the ONE program was killer. I was always hungry and the last 2 weeks were HARD. I made it but after that I took 2 weeks away from KB's entirely.

Conor, God bless you brother. I attempted the strong and the one combination and quickly decided to focus on strong. You should end up strong and well conditioned.

I definitely underestimated it @MikeMoran, hopefully get to the end in one piece, eating "like a horse" at the moment and "sleeping like a log."
Hopefully John, concentrating on KB strong definitely worked for you. It's amazing how long 10 mins can feel when you're swinging double k bells!!

Looking forward to it. First ROP though. I have been watching/reading KB Strong though and the explanations of the exercises are great. Real insightful. Worth every penny

Week 2 of KB strong moved up to the 28kg for the C and P and feel good with them, getting all the reps in with the cues that Geoff provides. The killer has been the one program, it's tough with the 24kg. I had been training with a mate who's a boxer o er Xmas and we're doing lots of burpees, punch out drills and sprints and I honesty didn't feel as wiped out as I do with the one program, what will it be like when it inverts to a 40 sec working period,
Great program!!lovingg it

Oh man. I only got through three rounds of the swings with a pair of 24's for week one before realizing I needed to go down to 20's. Then I did it again with the 20's and had that lovely acid burn in my throat by the end. No way I could add 5 seconds per week.

Then I thought about how strong my two-handed swings feel with heavy bells and decided to follow the intervals for ONE, doing heavy two-handed swings instead.

@JamesO it caught me totally by surprise, particularly now as I am consciously following the cues from the DVD. I was hitting the S and S simple goal fairly comfortably but I underestimated the gut check the 24's would provide. Very taxing, I'll try to stick with it; great to see lots of other forum users benefitting from Geoff's programs!!

Has anyone run strong for a long period of time...like 6mths? I have KB Burn, am currently running KB Muscle, I have MKM and Strong. Thinking after i finish KBM with 20kgs I will run KB Strong for a few months and come back and do MKM or KBM again with much heavier bells...So many options...Looking to be stronger and leaner. I am ex-crossfitter, oly lifter(novice) and serial barbell squatter/presser but have done ROP and 10,000 swing challenge(for a little background)

rmace, that's howI did the strong program. I went with the longer version of phase two. I discovered that focusing on one very basic movement, in my case the clean and press, I was able to stay strong in all the other basics and with reduced rest periods I was able to maintain conditioning.

rmace, that's howI did the strong program. I went with the longer version of phase two. I discovered that focusing on one very basic movement, in my case the clean and press, I was able to stay strong in all the other basics and with reduced rest periods I was able to maintain conditioning.
Thanks for response, John. Did you use the same bells throughout, or did you jump up at any point? just curious, Thanks again.

rmace, used the same ones throughout. That's why I went with the slow and steady vs. short course for phase two. I didn't think I could handle the quick jump ups in reps of the short course. I chose not to do phase three as I am starting a session of "burn" right now. Not sure I could do steady rounds of the 36s and reduce the rests even more. At one point about halfway through phase two, I did a RM test with the 40s and thought about jumping up to the 40s but I don't think I could have maintained my form in the middle of phase two. Gladly, I didn't! The volume is what gets you!

When I'm done with burn, I plan on another round of strong starting at phase one with either the front squat or the clean and push press with the 40s.

Thanks, John. I like your thought process here. After reading your responses, I have been thinking of phase two with the clean and jerk, then Burn.

Thought about the clean and jerk too, but in high volume, my form breaks down a little....the push press for me at least drives my heart rate up like the jerk, but with less worry about form breakdown. However, it does mean a possible challenge to focus on, lol.

Also, my press improves from push presses even though it's not always supposed to. Mileage varies I guess

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom