all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@John Grahill the clean and jerk on Strong would be really tough I'd imagine, I'm the same the push press really puts the HR without the technical skill required for the clean and jerk. I use Sunday's as a skill day and I was practising yesterday with the clean and jerk but only I don't have a double set below 24kg. The 24kg was too trickery with the second dip. I need to get a set of 16kg that I could use on future with kb muscle.
Going with the hybrid is tough and it's the one program that is the real gut check for me. Unlike when I used to do heavy barbell programs I don't get Doms the day after, it's just a general tiredness as if my batteries have been run down. I like it though as I like working out most days, will def need a Deload after this is completed.
@John Grahill when you mention phase two is that mentioned in the book? I've been running the short course along with the one workout who is about 6 weeks work. Are you basing your phases off the email link that's mentionedim this thread??

I'm not seeing the phase 1, 2, and 3 in the book that are being mentioned in this thread. Is this something new?

I have the book. I assume you mean the Strong Program, Short Course, Slow and Steady, and then conditioning option?

The 24kg was too trickery with the second dip. . . . it's just a general tiredness as if my batteries have been run down.

I always like to call that CNS soreness :)

When you refer to the second dip, are you talking about dropping under the bells as you catch them in the jerk? One trick that might be helpful is to lift your heels along with your press as you push-press, pause on your tip-toes as your reach the top, then slam your heels down like you just saw a bug and you're trying to smash it. Let your knees bend as your quads absorb some shock. Take out the pause, and that's your jerk.

In weightlifting, some people really emphasize the drop below the jerk and almost look like an elastic band. Some people have a more braced approach, catching it in a mini-squat, and don't drop much at all, taking more of a strength approach. The more the move becomes a part of you, the more you'll naturally lean towards one or the other. I actually have a hard time push-pressing because it's so hard not to drop under it while I press.

I have the book. I assume you mean the Strong Program, Short Course, Slow and Steady, and then conditioning option?

Exactly. Phase 1: Strong Program | Phase 2: Short Course or Slow and Steady | Phase 3: Conditioning

@JamesO Yes it's the drop under the bells, only really playing around but definitely the 24 kg are too heavy to pattern the movement, ordered a pair of 16kg and I'll try to work in some practice every Sunday, I like the dead bug cue... Should work a treat, plenty of CNS soreness ahead this week!! Thanks James

@conor78 if you can DCP 2x28 you should be able to DCJ 2x24 quite easily. Have you worked through the troubleshooting section for the DCJ from page 60?

If you're sure you can get that proper thoracic extension (see the photo of Geoff on the cover of KBS), then the DCJ often just clicks after a few sessions. Maybe practice with a single kb might help to. If the bells are too light you can artificially "hold" them overhead rather than get a proper lock out. I wouldn't rush to buy new bells unless you're sure you need them.

@captainslow I did the exercise with the chair and the partial squat, might have to cycle in a few more throughout the week, it'll be nice when it does click, I can certainly see why Russian spec ops use it!!Running a cycle of KB strong with the c and j would be a great workout. You would definitely be strong and conditioned.
Thanks

@JamesO that cue worked really well this eve, really feel a lot more comfortable with the c and J and that was with the 24kg.
Was reading over the One workout earlier before engaging in the longest ten minutes of the week. In it Geoff asked a question to a group regarding the one program:
" How conditioned do you think you would be if you could perform this workout (the one) with a pair of beasts?"
I'm sure there is someone somewhere who has attempted this; I would pay good money to watch it.
It's a long 10 minutes even with 24kg!!!

@JamesO that cue worked really well this eve, really feel a lot more comfortable with the c and J and that was with the 24kg.
Was reading over the One workout earlier before engaging in the longest ten minutes of the week. In it Geoff asked a question to a group regarding the one program:
" How conditioned do you think you would be if you could perform this workout (the one) with a pair of beasts?"
I'm sure there is someone somewhere who has attempted this; I would pay good money to watch it.
It's a long 10 minutes even with 24kg!!!
EXACLTY!!

When I was done with my STRONG/ONE Hybrid @2x24kg I did not want to DSW anything for a long long time. LOL.

Just finished a 10 by 4 c and p session last night and I can feel it today. About two weeks of KB hybrid left and thoroughly enjoying it. I've been practising the double clean and jerk with 5 sets of 5 with double 24kg and its getting better each time I practise it. I'll take a week off with a bit of running and then back to a double kettlebell program. I have KB burn extreme and I've More kettlebell muscle.
I don't have the original kettlebell muscle, I know a lot of users on this thread are fans of Geoffs work, has anyone used it and what's the difference to KB strong. From what I can gather it's a 3 day a week programme with a weight that you can press 10 times? Is it still available to buy??

Just finished a 10 by 4 c and p session last night and I can feel it today. About two weeks of KB hybrid left and thoroughly enjoying it. I've been practising the double clean and jerk with 5 sets of 5 with double 24kg and its getting better each time I practise it. I'll take a week off with a bit of running and then back to a double kettlebell program. I have KB burn extreme and I've More kettlebell muscle.
I don't have the original kettlebell muscle, I know a lot of users on this thread are fans of Geoffs work, has anyone used it and what's the difference to KB strong. From what I can gather it's a 3 day a week programme with a weight that you can press 10 times? Is it still available to buy??

I did the original KB Muscle. You can still get the book on Amazon and on Dragondoor I think. Great program. FOLLOW THE GUIDE. 2 Bells you can easily C&P x10. Trust me. Especially weeks 7-12....

It is a totally different Animal. KB Muscle is for Hypertrophy. @John Grahill and I have talked about it. It will take you 10-12 minutes a day 3 x a week and you will be a pile of sweat and tired. You will eat. You will need lots of sleep.

Cheers Mike, must be tough, at this rate I must set up a direct debit to Geoff Nuepert inc!!
Did you run with 16kg?

Cheers Mike, must be tough, at this rate I must set up a direct debit to Geoff Nuepert inc!!
Did you run with 16kg?

Yes I did it with 2x16kg. Tempted to run it again with 2x20kg again soon.

Here is my Journal note from a day in Jan 2015

Had to strip off some clothes outside to finish this as I was getting very hot.
Cool down was shinkyoku breathing/walking
Pretty smokey. Food is on the menu today.

Last edited:
Good man, I'll send Geoff an email and see if it's still available, still running KB strong and tempted to have a go at it with the c and j.
Cheers Mike

Conor, I probably sound like the proverbial broken record describing KBM. It was by far the most eye-opening double bell program I have done. Mike Moran is correct in his description of it. It left me questioning my manhood in a very time efficient way. Geoffs programming of the originalKBM is perfect in exercise selection, exercise order, rest periods, etc.

Not only did my strength improve each time through it, I gained muscle, lost fat and gained conditioning from a combo of bells that were much less than what I had previously been using. I have cautioned in the past the 10 rep press recommendation.....Geoff says a pair of bells you can "comfortably" press 10 times. To me that is not a 10 RM. I remember a post regarding this on the Dragondoor Forum wherein a poster posted to use a weight you can comfortably press 10 times any day of the week even hung over, or words to that effect.

It is a tremendously beneficial program and I highly recommend it to any time crunched fitness enthusiast.

You know your way around double KB programs John, so that's a great recommendation for KB muscle, I'll look into running it once I have completed this cycle of KB strong.
Thanks John

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom