all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Navigating supplements for performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
My supplements are pretty basic at this point.

Upon waking, I put about 5g creatine monohydrate (CreaPure), 3-5g beta alanine, 2-3g l-carnitine l-tartrate, and 2-3g betaine anhydrous in 32oz of water with about 1.5g flavored electrolytes (1g sodium, addl potassium, calcium, and magnesium) and consume. Aside from that, more electrolytes around training and that's about it.

I had bloodwork about 6 months ago (due again now) and overall it was pretty good. The one thing that was a bit surprising was total testosterone being on the low end of the range (281; range 264-916). Other than that, pretty well all cardiovascular and metabolic markers were in a good spot, including blood pressure, lipids, etc.

The one thing that was a bit surprising was total testosterone being on the low end of the range (281; range 264-916).
Where do you carry your mobile phone? If it's in a pants pocket - try elsewhere for 6 months, or set to plane mode when in pocket for six months and then retest.

Internet quotes in the range of about 2g creatine per pound of beef, plus some in other sources.

I don’t have the time at the moment to look deeper, but I would like to see some data on how much total creatine (from diet and/or supplements) is recommended to increase performance. I am also curious how much might be lost through cooking.

Where do you carry your mobile phone? If it's in a pants pocket - try elsewhere for 6 months, or set to plane mode when in pocket for six months and then retest.
Interestingly enough, I have made a concerted effort to do a few things to see what might happen with the next round of blood work I'll be getting in the next few weeks, this being one of them. I can't say it's been 100% of the time but the amount of time my phone is in my pocket has drastically reduced.

To get the 5g of creatine… you quoted a statement saying that to get 5g of creatine from beef you need to eat 5-10lbs of it a day. You then said “I get that from diet”.

5lb beef is roughly 5k calories. I guess herring would only be half that a day to hit the creatine numbers though. But still 1kg of fish a day… I’m having flashbacks to fishing trips where we had to eat the days catch every day for a week.

I think you were trying to say you are a non responder rather than you get 5g from diet.

I think I said a couple of pounds. 900g.

I'm not sure where you get your calories in beef, I checked our government agency for the data on lean roast, 114kcal/100g. Five pounds would be 2500kcal but yes, that would be a lot.

I do believe I get 5g from my diet.

If ones blood panel is not indicating a gap, if one does not have clear symptoms or unless prescribed by a doctor, I believe one who has a healthy diet is better off by putting as less pills or anything manufactured in a facility as he can put in to his body.
Yeah this is the big point I took away. Supplement manufacturers are so shady as a whole the less you take the better.

Have a decent stack right now broken into am, post workout and pm splits.

AM
Fisetin
Quercetin
Resveratrol
Nmn

Post workout
Birdman falcon performance protein
Has bcaas and creatine...

PM
Multi V
Shelajit
Terestus tribulus
Tongkat ali

This is largely unrelated but at one time years back Jamie Lewis (NSFW!) created a supplement line. His premise was human tissue was the perfect food apart from that pesky problem of eating people being frowned upon in most cultures, so he recreated the nutritional profile and made it into a protein powder.

Can’t remember what he called it… cannibal something. At some point he and his partner had a falling out and he seemed to get the short of it. Don’t know anything more than that.

Would anyone care to enlighten me about proper use of the word "vitamin" in the context of "supplement" and "performance-enhancing drug?" I take a few of what I consider to be vitamins and have never thought of them as supplements - not really sure what is meant by "supplement." I take a "multi-vitamin", a combination vitamin D and vitamin K, and potassium.

-S-

Would anyone care to enlighten me about proper use of the word "vitamin" in the context of "supplement" and "performance-enhancing drug?" I take a few of what I consider to be vitamins and have never thought of them as supplements - not really sure what is meant by "supplement." I take a "multi-vitamin", a combination vitamin D and vitamin K, and potassium.

-S-
I don't know how this video defines what you're talking about. But...

A "supplement" is a nutraceutical you take to enhance your diet, such as to make up for not getting enough of something. For instance, a protein shake can supplement your diet if you are having a hard time eating a goal amount of protein.

You could probably get very pedantic and say that a performance enhancing drug is a supplement as well, as it is supplementing something .... But I'd suggest that is outside of "common usage."

A "vitamin" is a carbon-based molecule that we need for our bodies to function properly. I specify carbon-based as when it is not carbon-based, it is called a "mineral." Both are found naturally, and both can be distilled into a pill or powder you take to "supplement" your diet. Many "multi-vitamins" are also "multi-minerals." Often, unfortunately, there are many different "kinds" of the same vitamin or mineral, and the specific kind may be more or less usable by your body. A common example is Vitamin D: D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol). D3 is what our bodies naturally make, D2 is not and is cheaper to make, but also seems to not be used as readily (if at all) as D3. This seems to vary study to study, so ... take it with a grain of iodized salt.

It is actually pretty difficult to find a definition of drug that would exclude vitamins, minerals, and other supplements. But hopefully that was helpful to you.

Back
Top Bottom