all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Navigating supplements for performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
This is largely unrelated but at one time years back Jamie Lewis (NSFW!) created a supplement line. His premise was human tissue was the perfect food apart from that pesky problem of eating people being frowned upon in most cultures, so he recreated the nutritional profile and made it into a protein powder.

Can’t remember what he called it… cannibal something. At some point he and his partner had a falling out and he seemed to get the short of it. Don’t know anything more than that.
Yeah I don’t know details but it’s the reason he doesn’t blog on chaos n pain anymore and has plague of strength now.

I think he learned a lot about predatory business contracts during that deal.

Would anyone care to enlighten me about proper use of the word "vitamin" in the context of "supplement" and "performance-enhancing drug?" I take a few of what I consider to be vitamins and have never thought of them as supplements - not really sure what is meant by "supplement." I take a "multi-vitamin", a combination vitamin D and vitamin K, and potassium.

-S-
You can supplement with vitamins to meet reccomended daily intakes, but not all supplements are vitamins.

Many vitamins have the word "vitamin" in their common name. Some don't. It's easy to find a list though:

You can also easily find recommended intakes of minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, etc

Would anyone care to enlighten me about proper use of the word "vitamin" in the context of "supplement" and "performance-enhancing drug?" I take a few of what I consider to be vitamins and have never thought of them as supplements - not really sure what is meant by "supplement." I take a "multi-vitamin", a combination vitamin D and vitamin K, and potassium.

-S-
For the records :) Steve is not natural hahaha

Good video. All of this information can be found at ConsumerLabs. ConsumerLabs tests just about everything. What the un-enhanced guy spoke about is basically copy and paste.

ConsumerLabs provides good information with subscription.

Last edited:
But are all vitamins supplements?

-S-
No. Vitamins are only supplements when they are removed from their "natural" context. For instance, Vitamin D3 is not a supplement - it is made by your body in response to sun. Vitamin B12 naturally is found in animal products. In both these cases, they are not supplements.

In regard to "supplements":
The original idea was that you got your diet right and then to remedy short comings you supplemented your diet. This means you must get your diet right and also do some maths or use an app that estimates your dietary shortcomings so you can then add a sensible dose of the individual vitamins, minerals, macros that you need more of.

No. Vitamins are only supplements when they are removed from their "natural" context. For instance, Vitamin D3 is not a supplement - it is made by your body in response to sun. Vitamin B12 naturally is found in animal products. In both these cases, they are not supplements.
So protein powder is a supplement? (I'm asking just to better understand the language of these things.)

-S-

So protein powder is a supplement? (I'm asking just to better understand the language of these things.)

-S-
It is a supplement. Both protein powder and vitamins-you-take are added to your diet in order to fix or prevent a deficiency. Protein and vitamins found in foods are not supplements as they are your diet. Although we commonly simply refer to them as supplements, the FDA term is "dietary supplement," emphasizing exactly what they are supplementing - your diet. A pill or powder is not considered "part of your diet," and so are supplements to it.

-S-
FYI, quality cream of tartar is a nice source of potassium.

Back
Top Bottom