all posts post new thread

Powerlifting stats

Wa7ch

Level 1 Valued Member
What's good guys
I'm 18 and i weigh around 62 kg (137 lbs) at 177 cm (5'10)

I started gym 2 months ago
Here are my current PR's :
Bench 65 kg (143 lbs)
Squat 80 kg (176 lbs)
Deadlift 90 kg (200 lbs)

These numbers are still rookie, i'll post updates every once in a while.

Last edited:
That's good... Make sure you don't get too obsessed with numbers and then have to reevaluate your training like me.:D
Thanks bro, I already reevaluated my training, I started doing a small amount of reps with larger weights, usually 6 sets of 6 reps . This is so i can focus only on strength.

What's good guys
I'm 18 and i weigh around 62 kg (163 lbs) at 177 cm (5'10)

I started gym 2 months ago
Here are my current PR's :
Bench 65 kg (143 lbs)
Squat 80 kg (176 lbs)
Deadlift 90 kg (200 lbs)

These numbers are still rookie, i'll post updates every once in a while.
Are you planning on competing in powerlifting as a sport? Or is your goal to get stronger?

Are you planning on competing in powerlifting as a sport? Or is your goal to get stronger?
I'm still novice so competing is still far-fetched, right now i'm trying to gain pure strength (without necessarily making my body aesthetic) , the exercices that i try to do personal records in are
Bench
Squat
Deadlift

Maybe soon i'll start strict curls, or maybe even clean and jerk, but there's no rush.

If you're 177 cm and 62 kg, you're pretty skinny. I'm about 8 cm shorter than you and weigh about 69 kg and people tell me I'm thin. 5' 9-1/2" and 137 pounds might mean you should lift a lot of moderately heavy weights - build up gradually - and eat more.

-S-
Indeed i am very skinny, my friend told me even if i gain strength very fast, my ligaments and tendons dont necessarily keep up, so it's best to not go too far with the PR's (particularily squat and deadlift),

Indeed i am very skinny, my friend told me even if i gain strength very fast, my ligaments and tendons dont necessarily keep up, so it's best to not go too far with the PR's (particularily squat and deadlift),
Slow and steady with very careful attention to form is the way to go to keep at it for a long time and make continuous progress while having less chance of dealing with injury setbacks. Good to stick to that 4-8 rep range for now like you're doing, and don't be tempted to test your maxes every other week like a lot of young lifters do (I was one of them). Also, keep it to no more than 3 sessions per week when training for strength, and every 4th week back off and go lighter (maybe focus on speedwork or hypertrophy) to give your body a chance to fully recover before hitting it hard again. Finally, sleep as much as possible and of course make sure you're eating well. Do this and you'll make great progress and can keep at it for a very long time.

I started my strength journey seriously at 27 (weighing barely more than you do right now), and have been at it for almost 20 years now. You have a great head start so take advantage!

I'm still novice so competing is still far-fetched, right now i'm trying to gain pure strength (without necessarily making my body aesthetic) , the exercices that i try to do personal records in are
Bench
Squat
Deadlift

Maybe soon i'll start strict curls, or maybe even clean and jerk, but there's no rush.
Are you following a program? Or how are you organizing your training?

Are you following a program? Or how are you organizing your training?
Here's my full program :
Note : for every exercice, 5 x 6 goes as follows
Set 1 with easy weight, Set 2 with moderate weight, Set 3 with hard weight, Set 4 with very hard weight, set 5 with hard weight

Monday : Arm day
Military press : 5 x 6
Lateral raise : 5 x 6
Reverse fly : 5 x 6
Dumbell curls : 5 x 6
Tricep pushdown : 5 x 6
Reverse curls : 5 x 6
Wrist curls : 5 x 6

Tuesday : Rest

Wednesday : Rest

Thursday : Rest

Friday : Leg day

Barbell squat :5 x 6
Leg press : 5 x 6
Leg extension : 5 x 6
Machine standing calve raise : 5 x 6

Saturday : Chest day
Barbell Bench press : 5 x 6
Barbell incline bench press : 5 x 6
Chest press machine (with the inclined handle) :5 x 6
Bodyweight dips : 5 x 6

Sunday : Back day
Pull ups (warm up) : 3 x 8
Lats pull down : 5 x 6
Seated row : 5 x 6
Some back machine i can't name : 5 x 6
Shrugs : 5 x 6
Hyperextension/Deadlift (depending on the week) : 5 x 6

Feel free to propose ways i can improve this program

On a note, i created my program, (with recommendations of some of my experienced friends too)

Slow and steady with very careful attention to form is the way to go to keep at it for a long time and make continuous progress while having less chance of dealing with injury setbacks. Good to stick to that 4-8 rep range for now like you're doing, and don't be tempted to test your maxes every other week like a lot of young lifters do (I was one of them). Also, keep it to no more than 3 sessions per week when training for strength, and every 4th week back off and go lighter (maybe focus on speedwork or hypertrophy) to give your body a chance to fully recover before hitting it hard again. Finally, sleep as much as possible and of course make sure you're eating well. Do this and you'll make great progress and can keep at it for a very long time.

I started my strength journey seriously at 27 (weighing barely more than you do right now), and have been at it for almost 20 years now. You have a great head start so take advantage!
I'll make sure to follow a maximum of your advice. Thank you bro

Excellent work, man. Just keep going. Find a program that seems like something you'll keep doing, and then do it. Dan John's two rules: 1) Show up. 2) Do something. Keep doing.
Thank you bro, gym is actually more fun than it is a sacrifice, because i feel good during and after the exercises. It's improving my life considerably IMO. I don't think i'll ever stop, even during uni, it's a mental health booster

On a note, i created my program, (with recommendations of some of my experienced friends too)
I would largely recommend following a program as you learn how to train. Popular and effective programs include GreySkull LP and something called "Beginner's Prep School" in Jim Wendler's Forever 5/3/1 book.

Otherwise, working up to a top set (your set 5 very hard) and a back off (set 6 hard) is a perfectly fine way to train. Make sure you are keeping a log and are tracking what you're doing, how're your progressing, etc. and if things start stalling or your stop progressing, that's a great opportunity to start changing something.

I would largely recommend following a program as you learn how to train. Popular and effective programs include GreySkull LP and something called "Beginner's Prep School" in Jim Wendler's Forever 5/3/1 book.

Otherwise, working up to a top set (your set 5 very hard) and a back off (set 6 hard) is a perfectly fine way to train. Make sure you are keeping a log and are tracking what you're doing, how're your progressing, etc. and if things start stalling or your stop progressing, that's a great opportunity to start changing something.
I'll see which of those workouts are the most adapted to my situation. Thank you for the support John!

Back
Top Bottom