all posts post new thread

Powerlifting stats

I'm still novice so competing is still far-fetched,
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Your first few competitions are going to be crap shoots. Much like the first time you do anything.

So might as well get them out of the way early when you don't have a ton of pressure on you!

If you want to compete, just make sure you can do the lifts appropriately (squat to parallel, bench with pause, and lockout the deadlift properly) and sign up.

Set your opener for something you know you can triple, bring snacks, learn to relax while waiting, and have fun!

Also don't pigeon hole yourself into one strength sport. If you have options check out some of the other ones. Strongman is a lot of fun to get into too. (and is usually cheaper than Powerlifting for some reason).

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Your first few competitions are going to be crap shoots. Much like the first time you do anything.

So might as well get them out of the way early when you don't have a ton of pressure on you!

If you want to compete, just make sure you can do the lifts appropriately (squat to parallel, bench with pause, and lockout the deadlift properly) and sign up.

Set your opener for something you know you can triple, bring snacks, learn to relax while waiting, and have fun!

Also don't pigeon hole yourself into one strength sport. If you have options check out some of the other ones. Strongman is a lot of fun to get into too. (and is usually cheaper than Powerlifting for some reason).
Agree! I did my first PL competition after seriously training for only about 6 months. I didn't set any records or even close to it but I had a phenomenal time and was hooked thereafter.

Later I also dabbled in olympic weightlifting and strongman (even competed in 3 strongman comps). All were very fun and made many friends from it all.

I'll probably go to some comps if i can, they only recently started powerlifting events in tunisia (in some gyms), only issue that some comps dont seperate weight class, so to win i'd have to lift as much as a dude who's 1.6 times my weight.

Agree! I did my first PL competition after seriously training for only about 6 months. I didn't set any records or even close to it but I had a phenomenal time and was hooked thereafter.

Later I also dabbled in olympic weightlifting and strongman (even competed in 3 strongman comps). All were very fun and made many friends from it all.
Thats some good motivation, i'll start whenever i hear about the next comp

I'll probably go to some comps if i can, they only recently started powerlifting events in tunisia (in some gyms), only issue that some comps dont seperate weight class, so to win i'd have to lift as much as a dude who's 1.6 times my weight.
I mean maybe for some people but powerlifting and competing isn’t really about winning… so I wouldn’t worry about that.

I mean maybe for some people but powerlifting and competing isn’t really about winning… so I wouldn’t worry about that.
Yeah once i get the ego thing out of my mind i wouldnt mind going to comps even when it's guaranteed i won't win

If records are important to you, there are more available records than people who compete in Powerlifting. So with a bit of research you can almost guarantee a record by just showing up!
Ha ha! Oh trust me I know. This was my first comp and I was just a dude there to soak it all in and give it my best shot way back in 2005 when I first competed. Didn't help I was an open class, 198lb class male lifter so there were tons of dudes there way stronger than me. I've been there done that as far as setting records in the years since, however. I've probably done 20 powerlifting meets over the years. Lots in the first 6-7 years years I was doing it seriously and then a few more after a long hiatus more recently. Now I get to compete as a Masters lifter and it's always fun to watch the other "oldies" like me compete and cheer them on, while making new friends in the process.

Back
Top Bottom