all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Throughout the day

OS resets

Late Evening
Acroyoga
lesson (5 of 8)
That was a challenging one. From teardrop to back-balance and Prasarita twist (folded leaf to straddle bat).

Prasarita twist is highly technical (at least from a beginner point of view), as a base you can't cheat your way through with brute strength. The base have to be precise and the flyer has to be technical and completely engaged. It really exposes leaks in the flyers body management, mobility patterns and awareness.

Up until this lesson I could handle myself as a base with pretty much any flyer using patience and strength. No more fun and games ;)

This lesson starts to expose who show up to the lessons and who actually practice at the lessons.

Bent & Sinister
Another rest day. Felt I need it.

Evening
Movement prep

OS reset
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
Moderate : 7-8 of 10

Snatch (very fast cadence)
@20kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 2 x 10
@20kg x 2 x 10
Hard (grip) : 8-9 of 10

Notes
  • Bent press: 28kg getting comfortable. Seems that the shift in center of gravity (from 24kg) was more substantial than I thought.
  • Snatch: The very fast cadence and set with 24kg tired my grip and took a long time to recover. Cut session short because of that, but good session, nice groove.

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
BU C&P&S x 3 x (1 + 1)
Pressing variations:
Set 1: half kneeling press
Set 2: military press
Set 3: Bent press​

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 5 x (1 + 1)
Light/moderate : 6-7 of 10.

1-arm swing
@24kg x 10 x 10​

Moderate : 7 of 10.

Notes
  • Swings: Assesment session after couple of sub-par hinge sessions (volume-wise). Explosive from the hole, good plank at the top. Assesment - cleared.
  • Nutrition: Last sessions lack of energy is probably due to not enough food. Start nutrition log tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nutrition and other thoughts

.When I started the log I was 70-70.5kg. I have an entry from late October regarding not eating enough, feeling less powerful and dropping to 68.5kg. I ate more and regained some weight to just under 70kg, unfortunately didn't logged it...

Today, after the nutrition note, I weighted myself. I weigh 68.5kg. Down again, which might explain the less than consistent swings the last week. I'll start a food log tomorrow. These 5+ training days a week requires tons on energy. In the words of @Pavel Macek , calories are meant to be consumed :)

On a different but related note, yesterday I saw someone who hasn't seen me for a while (I was the "house model" for a physical therapy lecture a local beach volleyball school gave to his trainees) said it seems that I got big lately. I somehow have a feeling that all the bent presses and swings I've been doing have something to do with that ;). Both lifts load hard the entire trunk. It reminded me of the latest Fabio Zonin article an d the general StrongFirst mentality. If you are strong and your movement is fluid and graceful the aesthetics will take care of themselves.

I'll go and consume allot of food...

Rest.

Since it was a long time since my last true off day (true off = no weightlifting, beach volleyball or acroyoga), and I had many days of two sessions a day I decided to take a true day off before I feel I have to. Since tomorrow I have acroyoga and beach volleyball practice of Friday I decided today will be a good time.

so...

Throughout the day
OS resets and playing-for-strength

Strength and movement workshop
I'll use my day off to start designing strength and movement workshop I want to start doing in a month or two (I'm a certified instructor and a FMS level 1 certified).

SFG certification will probably have to wait for a year cause I'm interested in doing the Foundational Strength seminar on February.

Notes
Started a food log to make sure I eat enough.

Last edited:
Morning
Acroyoga lesson

Lesson 4 with the morning class. Rehearsal on previous transitions, straddle bat pose (back-balance to straddle bat), straddle bat to teardrop and teardrop to back-balance. Teardrop emphasize the flyer's responsibility to stay in full tension, the base staying at the column-of-support and keeping "relaxed tension".

Rest of day
Life happened... Weird, painful (for a friend who got a back spasm at the end of the lesson, not me), supportive, instructive, and extremely friendly and fun day. I stayed at the studio from around 9:30am until around 6:00pm. Way to tired and unfocused of Bent & Sinister. The friend with back spasm is feeling better today.

Morning

OS resets, short session

Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 2 x (3 + 3) - felt that right side need some more greasing

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 1 x (1 + 1)​

2nd round of 28kg(sets 6, 7): set 6: R - ER not good enough at lockout, set 2: L+R - ER not up to par at lockout (better than set 6).

Hard : 8-9 of 10 (based on reduced quality at set 7)

1-arm swing
@24kg x 10 x 10​

Moderate : 7 of 10

Notes
  • Bent press: When bending deep the larger weight and longer lever arm around the forearm create much more IR torque near lockout, which adds up during the session. Will stay with <=5 sets with 28kg for now.
  • Swing: Feel very explosive. Trying to them at low cadence - explosive from the hole and holding tight plank as long as possible. Picked up somewhere around the blog section, can't remember from who... As Pavel say, if you swing hard you can rest longer at the top ;)

Morning

Farmer carry @60kg x 1
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Late morning
OS resets + playing for strength ~30 min

Noon
Beach volleyball x 4-5 sets. Good movement most of the time.

Night
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 4 + 4 , 2 + 2 - right side needed the extra time under tension to play along

Something still felt little of with my right side shoulder-T-spine so I used what usually helps...

Farmer carry @64kg x 2
Dbl rack carry @24kg+20kg x 2

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 5 x (1 + 1)
Light : 6 of 10. Deliberately low intensity - low volume after yesterdays session.

Swing - I found out it's hard for me to sleep after swinging late, so I skipped the swings and added some more carries

Dbl rack carry @28kg + 24kg x 2
Suitcase carry @40kg x 1 + 1

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Afternoon
Movement prep

Standard

Bent & Sinister

Bent press
@24kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
Moderate : 7-8 of 10. Last set of 28kg wasn't solid enough for my likings, that's why go towards 8.

Snatch
@20kg x 6 x 10
Moderate : 8 of 10. Should have kept rest a little longer. Last few reps on L was into glycolytic territory.

Acroyoga lesson (6 of 8)
Very cool and challenging today. Feet-to-shins, knees-to-shins, knees-to-shins to airplane, floor to knees to shins.

That was the first time I felt really challenged, mostly in finding the sweet spot in the feet-to-shins (apparently I have narrow shins). I also found out how an over protective and annoying spotter can get everything out of focus........

Notes
  • Bent press: See next post.
  • Snatch: I limited swing/snatches on acroyoga days to 60. If I do it a little earlier in the day I can do 10x10 without it affecting badly the acroyoga. It is Easy Strength after all...

Bent press, programing and bench selection
I did my first ever bent press with a 28kg on November 29, on December 16 I did five single with it. That is allot of increase in 17 days, and only 9 sessions! Most people would say "good for you! great progress!"... But when I go over the log (and the way my body feels) I say "mmm... It depends...".

I follow @Iron Tamer's Bent & Sinister program form Taming the Bent Press. Being a (sort of) derivative of S&S I believe it is a park bench program, and this is how I saw it when I started flowing it. This where it-depends doing it's thing. From a park bench point of view I should have progressed at a lower pace.

While I waved intensity and volume during this time (which enabled the progression) I feel that I took the programing into bus bench territory. So am I saying that bus bench programing bad?? Not at all! It's even great when done properly. But it's about bench selection and approach. I wanted to sit on a park bench, and than went to the bus station... The programing did not fit the... program... ;) When that happens it get hard to asses the program, your progression and where you are regarding your goals...

So, what's next?
First, I'll take a week or two of bent pressing to clear my head.

Than, since I have the tendency to look for parks near the bus station (read: being inpatient) I should probably move to a neighborhood without buses. I need be smart enough to follow a program I trust with as little options as possible, so I can focus only on lifting. What is simpler than Bent & Sinister?? Taking away my decisions of load and reps :) I'll flip a page in Taming... and do Justafied Singles with 20kg bell. It's 70% of 28kg, and also the not-over-70% for a 32kg as well.

More thoughts
The 500lbs. deadlift thread made me want to go back to deadlifts. I'll use John McKean's EES program from Easy Strength. 3-4 times a week, use 70% on the bar with light band, do 5 explosive singles. I'll use 80kg on the bar. I want to remove option and use only 20kg and 10kg plates. So it either 80kg or 100kg, and my 70% is definitely not around 100kg.

Pavel's variation on it was to also add a heavy single or two with higher load (and no band) when things grooved properly. I'll see how that goes. Big plates only.

I'll keep winging and snatching if I can recover from it. Will not use the "challenge" bells for a the first two weeks (will use 24kg for swings and 20kg for snatch). Re-asses in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts... I can relate. It is good to have choices on what to pursue. We are fortunate to have the ability and the knowledge (and knowledgeable sources) for these pursuits.

Morning

OS resets
Farmer carry @64kg x 1

Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half-kneeling halo @16kg x 5 + 5
TGU+presses from Taming... @16kg x 1 + 1

Dan John's Armor Building Complex
1 clean + 3 press + 2 front squat - continues with double bells
@20kg + 16kg x 6 EMOM , 1 , 1​

The 6th EMON was hard and it was obvious that I couldn't keep quality presses with short rest. Wanted some more volume and did two more complexes with recovery as needed. They were both with good quality.

Desert
BU carry @16kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
Suitcase carry @40kg x 1 + 1

Notes
  • Amor Building Complex: It is a nice change of pace complex. Straight forward lower skill emphasis than bent press or TGU. Exactly what I needed to clear my head. Will keep collecting volume with it during the week.
  • Carries: Since the main lift become a symmetrical lift I though it would be a good idea for the carries to be asymmetrical. BU carries are a bitch in case anyone is wondering. I am use to do 1 + 1. While both sides have similar control level (with right being more skilled) in the first run, the differences really jump out in the second. The left side on run 2 was demanding all my will, focus and skill and was still shaky, right side was good.

Morning

OS resets - short cross crawls and marching session

Noon
Walking for 5.2km (~3.5 on the beach), doing 1 strict pull-up every time I saw a pull-up bar (I think it was 5 reps total)

Evening
OS resets
Acroyoga practice ~1.5 hrs - cleared all the problem I had on Sunday evening. A great flyer makes things allot easier.

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

Noon - at the gym
Movement prep

OS reset
HAT (Hip Assessment Tool from Intervention)
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Windmill @16kg x 1 + 1
Snatch @16kg x 3 + 3

EES Deadlifts
Deadlift
@60kg x 3
@80kg + red band x 5 x 1
Dan John's Armor Building Complex
1 clean + 3 press + 2 front squat - continues with double bells
@double 16kg x 11 EMOM
All sets under 20 seconds, accept one that took 22 seconds (see notes). Kept consistent pace throughout the session. Just before I cleaned the 12th set I thought to myself QIII and called it a day.
Loosening
OS rolling & rocking
Some @Harald Motz inspired Sprossenwand stretches

Notes
  • Deadlifts (& Swings): Last time I deadlifted was semi-sumo late October, last time I did a conventional deadlift was 4 month ago late August. Last two month 1-arm swings work with some snatches mixed in as my hip hinge. I haven't missed a step in the deadlift, and besides some getting used to again to a jump stance setup (hip width feet, arms outside) my deadlifts was as explosive as 4 month ago. I usually train in the afternoon/evening so I assume that when I get used to the new time I will gain more explosiveness.
  • Armor building complex: Double 16kg is much easier than offset 16kg+20kg. Not just the total load on the body and pressing only 16kg, but the symmetry in weight takes less mental effort (symmetrical set take me 20 seconds and down, asymmetrical 28 seconds). This makes it easier to collect more volume, which is kind of the point here...

Last edited:
Morning

OS resets
Acroyoga lesson (lesson 5 with the morning class)

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
HAT + Goat bag swings with 15kg bag
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
TK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
BU clean&squat @16kg x 1 + 1
BU carry @16kg x 1/2 + 1/2

EES Big Plate Deadlift (Big plates only inspired by Dan John and @Bro Mo)
Deadlift
@60kg x 3
@80kg + red band x 5 x 1 - Easy & Explosive
@100kg x 2 x 1 - Not heavy (would even say easy)​

Bonus round
Rack pull, pin #2 (bar just above middle of knee)
@120kg x 1​
Rack pull, pin #2 - 1" (standing on 1" mat)
@120kg x 1​

Additional practice
Pull ups
@BW x 1
@8kg x 3 x 1​

@Anna C avatar inspired handstand practice x 3 rounds
Kick to wall supported and go free from the wall, superset with 16kg waiter carry
Actually did a full free one for a few seconds
Loosening
OS roll & rock
Sprossenwand stretches

Notes
  • Deadlift: Groove felt great. Setup was probably smoothest ever. Explosive! Since the 5 singles were easy I did a couple of 100kg(no band) singles, since these were easy I did a couple of rack pulls with 120kg to see were I stand. For the 120kg I had to change the grip from double overhand to hook, but other than that on the heavyish side of moderate.
  • Pull ups: First ever weighted pull up. Have no idea what I've been waiting for.
  • Rule of Big Plates: Like it allot! Brainless decision making, 100% focus on the lift.

I still haven't figured out the set and rep schemes perfectly for big plates but so far it has been pretty intuitive. I may try a rest-pause approach next month.

Morning

Beach volleyball practice (set emphasis) ~ 1.5hrs

Afternoon
Beach volleyball coaching (general practice, rehearsal) ~ 1:15 hrs

Throughout the day
Some OS resets

Morning

OS resets
Beach volleyball ~2.5 hrs

Evening

Superset x 2
Farmer carry @64kg x 1
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
Dbl rack carry @28kg + 24kg x 2 (double clean need more groove work with lighter bells)
Suitcase carry @44kg x 4 (switching hands each round)

Bretezls
Elbow whip rolls + head rolls

That evening session made me feel good.

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Late noon (or early afternoon)
Movement prep

OS resets
HAT + goat bag swings @15kg
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
HK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Snatch @16kg x 5 +5

This is a long list but takes around 10-12 minutes

BigPlates Deadlift
Deadlift
@60kg x 3
@80kg + red band x 5 x 1​

Good, but not as laser sharp as last session. Video: I started the lift to jerky instead of a strong pull and than accelerating.

Additional practice
Pull ups
@BW x 1
@8kg x 3 x 1
@BW x 3 - nearly crashed my sternum on the bar on the first rep... Scary, but satisfying​

Armor Building Complex (1 clean + 3 presses + 2 squats)
@double 16kg x 8 EMOM - all sets sub 20 seconds (mostly 18)
EDIT:
Evening - Acroyoga practice

Out teacher couldn't do the lessons today, but she was kind (as usual) and opened her studio for us so we had two hours of free practice.
  • Went through almost everything. Heavy emphasis on Prasarita twist.
  • Tired to teach a constant flyer to base. She did ok, but I am to heavy for her to start with.

Last edited:
Morning

OS resets

Afternoon
Suitcase carry @48kg x 4
BU carry @16kg x 4

Night
Dbl kettlebell deadlift @88kg x 2 x 1
  • Stacked 20kg + 24kg in one hand and 16kg+28kg in the other. Wanted to see how it feels for heavy farmer carries. Moderate-hard to lift with zero prep, double stacked bells might be to awkward to carry without focusing on holding the bells, and definitely awkward to setup. Will keep heavy suitcase carries instead for a while.

Morning

OS resets

Noon
Movement prep

Standard (long resets + goat bag swings sections)

BigPlates Deadlift
Deadlift
@60kg x 3
@80kg + red band x 5 x 1
@100kg x 2 x 1
Additional practice
Pull ups
@8kg x (1 , 2 , 3) , 2 x (1 , 2)​

3 round of:
Waiter carry @16kg
Handstand practice - Start wall supported and go free
Barrel rolling
Loosening
Standard

Notes
  • Deadlift: Cleared the jerky start fault from yesterday. Strong and steady from the floor, accelerating on the way up.
  • Pull up ladders: Could do 3 x (1 , 2 , 3), but remembered the ladders section in Easy Strength that recommends to end each ladder with "medium" rather than "hard" if your working ladders multiple time a week.

Rest mostly. Some OS stuff.

Morning

Handstand and Acroyoga. Our couldn't attend the lessons all week so more free time. The second teacher tried to teach us handstand. I like @Karen Smith's articles way more.

Felt not tied in synced enough in the acroyoga.

Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Bent armbar @ 16kg x 3 + 3, @12kg x 2 (R only + Bretzel) - right T-spine/scapula felt rusty
Half TGU @16kg x 1 + 1 (following the 16kg armbars each side)
Snatch @16kg x 5 + 5
HAT + short stop squat drill + goat bag swings @15kg - really greasing the hinge the DL setup

BigPlates Deadlift
Deadlift
@60kg x 3
@80kg + red band x 5 x 1 - Good
@100kg x 1​

Rack pull, pin #1
@120kg x 3 x 1 - moderate
Additional practice
Pull ups
@8kg x 2 x (1 , 2 , 3) , (1 , 2)​

Armor Building Complex (1 clean + 3 press + 2 squat)
@double 16kg x 14 EMOM
Loosening
OS resets

Notes
  • Being sedentary: Yesterday I was at sedentary state. I guess it has at least some thing to do with being out of usual sync toady.
  • Deadlift: Emphasizing setup (short stop) and strong and steady start. It harder to judge the explosiveness throughout, but the finish is crisp and strong. Might use the Push band for max velocity measurement... Grip felt a little off which is what I should expect when being out of sync. Should go back to measure finger tapping.
  • Weighted pull ups: Finish at ladder one set of 3 and the last set of 2 felt not so strong. Kind of expected it, all the indicators (grip, armbar right side) were there. Even though, good session. Elbow whip half rolls did good to the lockout.
  • Armor building complex: I now understand what Tonic means. Felt better with each set. Should have just done tons of sets of this... All under 20 sec accept 11 that was 20 sec and 14 that deliberately took 30 sec (long hold at lockout). Never thought a year ago that 42 presses with 32kg will be "hey, that was energetic and fun (and EASY)", I would probably wanna die way before the 30th rep.
  • Bent press: My body and mind miss it allot. Back to it with Justafied singles on 2017!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom