all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Recent Fitness-Related Purchases

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I'm bouldering regularly again which meant swollen knuckles. It's a long term problem which I've treated with one of these by doing 60 second suitcase holds. Started with a 10kg Kettlebell and now up to 30kg. They are made by ash climbing and I'm now climbing 3 times a week with little swelling. 1606667231589_ashclimbing-08.jpg

Attachments

• 1606667231589_ashclimbing-08.jpg
    1606667231589_ashclimbing-08.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5
I just bought a 34 kg comp bell from Titan Fitness. Not a typo - 34 kg. I realize it violates Pavel's Doctrine of big weight jumps but it was a great deal and I couldn't help myself. Yes, I have a problem. Brought it inside and told my wife she could wrap it and give it to me for Christmas. She asked how much it weighed. I told her about 75 lbs. She just take the thing downstairs, bring up the empty box and she would wrap that. We have an interesting relationship.

I just bought a 34 kg comp bell from Titan Fitness. Not a typo - 34 kg. I realize it violates Pavel's Doctrine of big weight jumps but it was a great deal and I couldn't help myself. Yes, I have a problem. Brought it inside and told my wife she could wrap it and give it to me for Christmas. She asked how much it weighed. I told her about 75 lbs. She just take the thing downstairs, bring up the empty box and she would wrap that. We have an interesting relationship.
I saw the comp bells at Titan on special... I was tempted and I definitely have the same problem.

If you remember, let me know what you think of those. They're a darn good price, especially since I think Titan has free shipping for everything.

If you remember, let me know what you think of those. They're a darn good price, especially since I think Titan has free shipping for everything.
So here's a review of Titan comp KBs. In theory all comp KBs should be the same dimension and as a general rule they are. But sometimes a little something is off. Also, I knew from reading reviews of their other products that Titan had quality issues, sometimes serious ones. Over the past year the reviews were more positive so it seemed as if they mended their ways. But I was skeptical. So I purchased a 12 kg comp bell as a test bell. It was cheap and I figured if it sucked I wouldn't buy another others. I really liked it. The handle is 35 mm in diameter which is now the regulation size for girevoy sport. Previously it was 33 mm. The change was made because athletes found that the 35 mm handles were more comfortable. It wasn't meant to add a grip challenge. This is true. I have 33 mm handle bells and 35 mm and the 35 are more comfortable, feel better, and are easier to control on the snatch. If you decide to purchase comp bells definitely go with the 35 mm handles. The bell also feels more "compact" than my KettlebellsUSA comp bells. Hard to explain but the Titan bell just felt better on the snatch.

I next bought a Titan adjustable comp bell which I also like a lot. The shell is 12 kg but contains weight plates that allow it to go to 32 kg and just about all weights in between. It can be loaded to 2, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 32 KG. It contains bolts inside that can be tightened to prevent the plates from rattling. You'll need your own wrench for these internal nuts. An Allen wrench is provided to secure the bottom half of the bell portion. The adjustable comp bell has the exact same specifications as the regular comp bells and feels exactly the same.

Based on these 2 purchases I decided to buy the 34 kg because it was on sale for $120 and free shipping. I'll open it tonight and mess around with it.

Note that Titan has their original comp bells with an embossed logo and newer models with their logo painted on. I have the original. I don't know if their new line has any differences.

The only difference I've noticed with the two styles of comp bells from Titan is that the old has a clear coat on the handle and the new is bare. They are an amazing value proposition, much better than their cast irons for their quality.

She just take the thing downstairs, bring up the empty box and she would wrap that. We have an interesting relationship.
I meant to say that my wife told to take it downstairs which I just did. Heavy sucker. I've been neglecting my training so just carrying it was tough. Same size and dimensions as the others so I'm happy. One super nitpicky comment: usually in-between bells have black stripes where the handle goes into the body of the bell to indicate their in-between status. For instance, my 30 kg bell is orange just like the color code for the 28 kg bell but has the black stripes. At this price point I'll paint them on myself or just add some black tape.

Recently purchased this year. One rackable open trap bar, one barbell and a set of bumper plates. Been using kettlebells exclusively for the past 3 years, it's been very enjoyable to get back into barbells/plates again.

The rings add-on for the Duonamic Eleviia: Duonamic Rings | Duonamic

I currently have my old, yet trusty Perfect Fitness Doorway Pullup Bar set up with NOSSK suspention trainer for dips, and the Eleviia at another doorway for pullups, so that I can do my Easy Muscle, Schedule C workouts without having to change the NOSSK settings for alternating between pullups and dips.

The Duonamic rings arrived.

I am terrible at figuring how to put things together without a detailed video, showing multiple camera angles and closeups.

So it took some time to puzzle out how to replace the stock pullup handles on the Eleviia with the rings and adjustable strap assembly. The ring strap comes with 2 heavy-duty carabiners - one to hook to the sturdy cord that is double-looped through the Eleviia clamp and the other to...? I then realized that the strap is actually a series of numbered loops, with heavy duty stitching between loops. Thus the 2nd carabiner goes into one of the strap loops. If you don't want the unused portion of the strap hanging around, you can fold it and secure the folded strap with the attached velcro strap.

The downside of this design is at the highest setting for the rings, your knees will touch the floor when you're at the bottom of the hang for a pullup, compared to a regular door pullup bar or the Eleviia's stock handles. That is, if you hang with your thighs pointing down, like what most people do with doorway pullups. You have to hang with your feet somewhere in front of you, whether resting on the floor, or off the floor with your knees tucked, or in a partial to full L-sit/L-hang.

The upside is that the numbered loop system makes setup and adjustment much faster than on the strap adjustment system on other rings like the Rogue wooden rings that I still have. If you want to stick to a particular number for, say, face pulls, just note that number, and go right to it on your next session.

Another upside for me is comfortable ROM. With my shoulder still recovering from injury, my pullup ROM has been limited with the stock Eleviia handles - from the top of the pullup position to somewhere between a jack-knife pullup and row at the bottom position. Something about the thickness of the rings and greater range of rotation compared to the stock handles increases my comfortable ROM to where I can drop much closer to a vertical hang. The rings also encourage my palms to supinate at the top of the pullup, but without causing elbow irritation like on the stock handles or pullup bar.

The rings feel a little thicker than the Rogue rings but I doubt the thickness will make much of a difference for my current usage.

On balance, the Duonamic rings so far have been worth the investment, especially with the sale price. I don't mind having to do pullups with feet in front in exchange for less discomfort for my shoulder and elbow.

Bought a 12 kg KB. Yes 12 kg. No not for warm ups, for the actual workouts. Long story, bottom line very limited mobility maybe due to scoliosis … working on it … working on it …
Nothing wrong with this. I bought a 12 kg to determine the quality of the KB before I bought more expensive ones. A few weeks ago I decided to use it to do a 10 minute GS snatch session. It was good cardio - I was winded when time expired. I was also surprised that I was sore the next day.

Same. Generally, I don't have a jaw clenching issue, but I've seen myself doing it occasionally on heavy lifts lately. Probably chilling on the caffeine intake would be a good idea but I'm not sure I'll cure the addiction anytime soon so...
Speaking of caffeine, Huberman's take. Woops, forgot this is a fitness purchase thread.

Speaking of caffeine, Huberman's take. Woops, forgot this is a fitness purchase thread.

You've got me to really come around on Huberman. I dismissed him for a long time as just another Ben Greenfield-esque biohacker guy. But seeing quite a few of his videos and seeing how he actively tries to correct any misinformation he puts out has really changed my perspective on the guy and the information he puts out.

I tried his "don't take caffeine within 90 minutes of waking up" thing and magically my 1-3pm energy crash just went away.

Not sure if these apply , but they just came in the mail.

View attachment 19921

I have purchased electronic versions, which I read or listen to from time to time. I plan to use these to be perused at bedtime, without a screen shining directly into my eyes.

And as a professional whose work product is a technical document or drawing, I know that ink on paper always renders differently than graphics on screen.

I do intend to reach sinister in time, and Q&D has always been profitable. And sometimes batteries run out.
Totally agree. Schematics or engineering drawings aren’t the same on a screen. You can’t draw on a screen with different coloured highlighters either haha

You've got me to really come around on Huberman. I dismissed him for a long time as just another Ben Greenfield-esque biohacker guy. But seeing quite a few of his videos and seeing how he actively tries to correct any misinformation he puts out has really changed my perspective on the guy and the information he puts out.

I tried his "don't take caffeine within 90 minutes of waking up" thing and magically my 1-3pm energy crash just went away.
I’m going to have watch this. I love nothing coffee, especially straight after an early am gym session. Kind of donot want to know if it’s bad haha

Back
Top Bottom