Repeat Until Strong.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pavel Macek, Sep 24, 2015.

1. pet'

pet' More than 5000 posts

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
    I often have to travel and enjoy training the core using OA push ups or OAOL push ups or even resistance bands (to do deadlifts).

Nonetheless, I'd like to know what is the best - in your opnion - core exercise without any device ?

Thanks a lot !

Kind regards

Pet',

2. Pavel Macek

Pavel Macek More than 2500 posts Master Certified Instructor

@pet' Please allow me to quote my teacher @Pavel first:

"... we don’t use the word core at StrongFirst. Why don’t we use the word core? Because, well – because people who use the word core, they do things we don’t like."
    To your question: Any bodyweight exercise (and progressions/regressions) we teach at SFB Bodyweight Course or Cert, applying the HTT (high tension techniques) and skills of strength. Many options:

- StrongFirst plank
    - Hardstyle sitback
    - hollow position and hollow rocks
    - [straight leg setup with paradoxic breathing we discussed before]
    - power breathing
    - virtual powerbreathing
    - one-arm pushups
    - if you have access to pullup bar, Hardstyle hanging leg-raises rock

Let me emphasize once more: applying the HTT (high tension techniques) and skills of strength.

I can do a plank and stay there for half an hour - or I can do a StrongFirst plank and I am toast in 5-10 secs.

Bauer, mikhael and pet' like this.
  3. pet'

Hello @Pavel Macek

Thank you so much. For once, I did something correctly using HTT with my push ups and the straight leg setup with paradoxic breathing !

What do you think about the L-Sit ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

4. Pavel Macek

Same answer: applying the HTT (high tension techniques) and skills of strength.

mikhael and pet' like this.
  5. Pavel Macek

Today's Few Words of Gratitude

78697519_559412901562235_5052679357571530752_o.jpg

I am very grateful to StrongFirst Italy for inviting me to teach (my very first!) StrongFirst SFB Bodyweight Certification.

What a great team of students & assistants - team StrongFirst! Thank you all!

Special thanks to @Pavel , @Brett Jones , @Fabio Zonin for their trust, Jon Engum suggesting me as an SFB Cert Instructor, and , and @Justyna Mackova for her support since the very start of our StrongFirst journey.

6. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Quadruple-Digit Post Count

@Pavel Macek, can you please explain the difference?

7. Pavel Macek

Still the same answer: applying the HTT (high tension techniques) and skills of strength.

The better you are in applying them, the less time you can hold, and the more tension you can create. Once you can do so,
    you can dial it up or down according the needs.

Join an SFB course or cert and get amazed - this stuff is gold.

8. Pavel Macek

Today's training: The Naked Warrior on the Road
    • One-arm pushups: 5 sets of 3
    • Pistol squats: 5 sets of 3
    • Second Wind Breathing Exercises

9. Pavel Macek

Today's pic

pavel-pistol.jpg

Bodyweight single leg squats, or with a weight?
    Yes.
    From a StrongFirst Bodyweight SFB Certified Instructor Manual:⁣⁣

⁣⁣„Do not try to unreasonably maintain the ‚purity‘ of bodyweight only training.“⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣…⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣„While you should be aiming to be training with progressively heavier weights, make sure to maintain your ability to do bodyweight only pistols.“⁣⁣

⁣And why pistols?⁣
    ⁣⁣
    „The pistol honors the ‚strength and health‘ ideal of our predecessors. Whether it becomes your leg strength exercise of choice or not, it is strongly advisable that you achieve the ability to perform pistols without a counterbalance and maintain it.“⁣

⁣⁣⁣Photo: „Commando Challenge“, Muscle Media, Jan/Feb 2020. ⁣⁣⁣

10. pet'

Hello @Pavel Macek ,

Recently, I asked you about the OA / OAOL PU transfer to other kind of presses.

In your opinion, between OAOL (or even OA) and the kb MP, which one engage the more the entire body ?

Indeed, if I listen to my body, the answer is the push up, but may be I do not use a heavy enough weight when I do the MP... Is there a minimum % of 1RM to get the same muscle engagement between the two moves ?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Pet'

11. Pavel Macek

OAOLPU, kettlebell (or dumbbell) military press, (and kettlebell/barbell side press, and barbell military press and bench press, and handstand pushup, and dip, and... ) - all great. Why to limit ourselves just to one?

pet' likes this.
  12. Pavel Macek

Today's pic

A great honor to teach the very first SFB Bodyweight Cert in Taiwan!

Special thanks to Jon Engum, StrongFirst Master Certified Instructor.

78783726_10156315635060938_7037262661335121920_n.jpg