all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I have some:
don't test your strength often
feel free to stop doing the pullups the last few weeks (I did)
don't feel bad if one arm isn't progressing as fast as the other
I’m sure it’s been asked on here before but 44 pages is a lot to sort through... if I feel like I need another week with a current ladder is that fine? Can’t imagine forced progress would be THAT helpful compared to another week with the same rep scheme.

I’m sure it’s been asked on here before but 44 pages is a lot to sort through... if I feel like I need another week with a current ladder is that fine? Can’t imagine forced progress would be THAT helpful compared to another week with the same rep scheme.

The issue with staying at a ladder an extra week or two is the extension of the cycle beyond the 13 week plan and the mounting cumulative volume.

I'm sure it's fine if it's a one-off week. If it were me however, I would finish the 13-weeks with no extension, using only as many ladders as I can without forcing. Rest a week, then start a new cycle at 3x3 ladders with the same weight and maybe with less rests if I'm up to it.

You can even cut short the current cycle and restart a fresh one, after a week's rest, if you have other programs lined up after ROP and you're eager to get to them.

You can even cut short the current cycle and restart a fresh one, after a week's rest, if you have other programs lined up after ROP and you're eager to get to them.
Don't forget that Enter the Kettlebell has 'test days' every 4 to 8 weeks. If you hit five reps in your tested bell, you can start the cycle over with the heavier bell.

The way I read it 13 weeks was the shortest duration.
Location 1379 in the kindle edition describes the progression and never specifies.

1601581121144.png

Maybe there’s another place in the book that I cannot recall or theres errata on the internet from Pavel or an acolyte that gave us this target. My thought is that if you pick the correct bell you won’t have too many of these weeks, but I’ve only run the program once and it took my 17 weeks.

It’s worth noting the first time I tried to get through ROP I did not succeed. Chose a smaller bell the second time — leave your ego at the door. The first time I used a bell I could press 5x, the second time I used a bell I could press 8 times on the left and 9 on the right. Still was challenging with work and life.

And, as @Erik Hournou says, it’s ok to drop pull ups in the last few weeks. Keep the goal (presses) the goal.

It’s worth noting the first time I tried to get through ROP I did not succeed. Chose a smaller bell the second time — leave your ego at the door. The first time I used a bell I could press 5x, the second time I used a bell I could press 8 times on the left and 9 on the right. Still was challenging with work and life.

And, as @Erik Hournou says, it’s ok to drop pull ups in the last few weeks. Keep the goal (presses) the goal.
My issue was I could press the 24 5x but the 16 like 15 times. The 16 would have been a waste I feel like.

My issue was I could press the 24 5x but the 16 like 15 times. The 16 would have been a waste I feel like.

Yeah.... RM3 to RM5 is a grey area. Either go for it and be prepared to cycle twice through ROP, or stay with the lower weight with the goal of pushing density... either through shortened rest times or advanced ladders.

Another option is to practice, with lower weight, high tension presses such as one-legged presses and bottom-up presses. They are suggested by Pavel's ETK Bonus Flyers. I don't know who owns their copyright now so I'm not sure its acceptable to upload the pdfs here.

Yeah.... RM3 to RM5 is a grey area. Either go for it and be prepared to cycle twice through ROP, or stay with the lower weight with the goal of pushing density... either through shortened rest times or advanced ladders.

Another option is to practice, with lower weight, high tension presses such as one-legged presses and bottom-up presses. They are suggested by Pavel's ETK Bonus Flyers. I don't know who owns their copyright now so I'm not sure its acceptable to upload the pdfs here.
I can only imagine what some 16kg bottoms up would do for my 24kg press. Might spice up the variety days with some of those. Seems like relatively low “intensity” since I’m really trying to recover as much as possible between days. Not really sure on a “progression” tactic for The BUP but I’m guessing it’s sort of a “just practice it” Thing. Thanks for the tips!

@IMayAgainKnowChris

BUPs are great and will most definitely help your pressing. Plus they look cool. The variety days are supposed to be about skill development, so I would do singles, less than you think, alternating sides. After a few sessions of never ever failing a single BUP, add a set of doubles. Enjoy.

I have been park bench training for a while ... perhaps I should give RoP a go ?

Omg... so this morning I was set to do my heavy day but was crunched for time but still felt good, even though it was 430am. I figured WTH and I figured I’d clean the 32 a few times For singles just to get SOMETHING in (call it a variety day and figured I’ll do my ROP tomorrow). Cleaned the 32 pretty easily and thought “go for it”... wasn’t a strict press but I didn’t have to dip too hard... GOT THE 32 OVER MY HEAD. Did it with both arms too! Wow. I feel like I just kicked today’s A$$ so hard!!! Never thought this would be possible inside of a year of starting to train with KB seriously. Much love to the forum and the support here! Couldn’t do this without the community!

Omg... so this morning I was set to do my heavy day but was crunched for time but still felt good, even though it was 430am. I figured WTH and I figured I’d clean the 32 a few times For singles just to get SOMETHING in (call it a variety day and figured I’ll do my ROP tomorrow). Cleaned the 32 pretty easily and thought “go for it”... wasn’t a strict press but I didn’t have to dip too hard... GOT THE 32 OVER MY HEAD. Did it with both arms too! Wow. I feel like I just kicked today’s A$$ so hard!!! Never thought this would be possible inside of a year of starting to train with KB seriously. Much love to the forum and the support here! Couldn’t do this without the community!

It's a great feeling when it comes out of the blue.

That's how my PR press happened (24K) after having a hard time with 20K ROP ladders and switching to 2x16K LCCJ and presses (ROTK) for a few weeks.

The way I read it 13 weeks was the shortest duration.
Location 1379 in the kindle edition describes the progression and never specifies.

View attachment 11499

Maybe there’s another place in the book that I cannot recall or theres errata on the internet from Pavel or an acolyte that gave us this target. My thought is that if you pick the correct bell you won’t have too many of these weeks, but I’ve only run the program once and it took my 17 weeks.

G’day mate! Have a look on p145 of ETK. “When you top five repetitions per arm, it is time to move up to this kettlebell in your weekly ladders.”

I have interpreted these seemingly contradictory instructions as follows:

1.If you complete the 13 weeks with bell x then you’re ready to progress to bell y (or at least attempt it).
2. However, if on your monthly or bimonthly test day you press the next bell 5 times before you have completed the 13 weeks, then go ahead and move on, starting again from the bottom.

G’day mate! Have a look on p145 of ETK. “When you top five repetitions per arm, it is time to move up to this kettlebell in your weekly ladders.”

I have interpreted these seemingly contradictory instructions as follows:

1.If you complete the 13 weeks with bell x then you’re ready to progress to bell y (or at least attempt it).
2. However, if on your monthly or bimonthly test day you press the next bell 5 times before you have completed the 13 weeks, then go ahead and move on, starting again from the bottom.

Excellent point!

The only reason I haven't tried Rite of Passage is I doubt my joints, particularly my elbows and shoulders, would stand up to the volume. I found out the hard way that I can't do barbell programs that include a lot of volume. Wendler's Boring But Big and Smith's Juggernaut System both gave me elbow tendonitis.:(

The only reason I haven't tried Rite of Passage is I doubt my joints, particularly my elbows and shoulders, would stand up to the volume. I found out the hard way that I can't do barbell programs that include a lot of volume. Wendler's Boring But Big and Smith's Juggernaut System both gave me elbow tendonitis.:(
You could try a "bridge" program to build your ability to handle volume. Splitting the clean and the press to train them separately can also allow you to develop solid technique and the ability to later handle them together in volume. Training low reps with a 5-8 rep bell and gradually increasing the number of sets in a time frame is an easy way to accumulate volume while still minimizing fatigue and technique problems, which over time might help develop your capacity to handle higher volumes. Then again, I know nothing about you so its possible you've tried this strategy before and it didn't work. Just a thought to kick around, offered in a helpful spirit. :)

Question here. As written you’re not to “skip” a training day. I get that. But does it seem okay to switch days up if you’re particularly spent from the previous heavy day? Example. Saturday crushed me. Took Sunday off. It’s Monday, was gonna do variety and but my light day tomorrow. I’m guessing the answer is go with how you feel...

Back
Top Bottom