all posts post new thread

Simple and beyond

George Neupert also adviced me to do some heavy cleans in order to improve my Front Squat max. So I came home late from work.
Started doing some reps with double 16, then double 20 and then double 24. After that did kettlebell walk with 24 and 28 for 12 minutes. Mostly I used the 24 kilo. Afterwards did some push ups and some band rows.

Did Week 8, day 1 of 787A plan for squats. Then did some sets 5 with double cleans. Did this with 24s (3 set) and one set with 28.

I also did some light mace bell swing with 6 and 9 kilo. And some windmill with 16 kilo.

787A: Week 8, day 2. Very low volume.

Then did some snatch and the Great Gamma Protocol.

787A: Week 8, day 3: Very low volume. (Front squats).

Then did some push-ups and power band-rows (my GTG movements for the time being).
I then did some light one-leg deadlift with 12 kilo. And I finished it off with some mace bell.

Tomorrow will be a heavy FSQ day in the program, and also the last day of the program.

For Christmas I will be going back to my parents and will take a break from training, while maybe doing a bit of long distance rowing. We will see. No Front Squats there.

After that I will probably start using Sean Shearon´s program for front squats:

I am very satisfied with the Strong Plan program for squats. It is one the least straining programs I have used, and it is fun and brings a lot of variety. The reason for using Shearon´s program is that Pavel is always talking very favorable about the use of 5 reps in a set. I am also trying to teach myself not to be impatient about reaching my goal. AND, maybe I can even achieve a bit of hypertrophy.

What I learnt this year about training: Stick with one exercise for at least 6 months. Provided you want to achieve something a bit ambitious.

Last day of 787A. This program has delivered quite well. Set a new PR: 36+40 kilo in Front squat. 3 reps.

Two weeks ago I managed: 36+40 kilo: 2 reps.
32+36 kilo: 9 reps.

I did kettlebell mile with 24 kilo. It was very heavy, but only for my grip. I spent 19 minutes and 12 seconds. Once I had to put the bell down. I believe and hope that my little walk is more than a mile at least in contain a slight hill and the crossing of a somewhat trafficked road. No matter what I will just continue to use this in order to compete with myself.

I think my main weight will be 16 and 20 kilo. And then use 24 for shorter distances.

A goal for 2022 could be to do my present route in 17 minutes with the 24.

George Neupert also adviced me to do some heavy cleans in order to improve my Front Squat max.
You can't squat what you can't clean. Heavy (for me) double cleans did a bunch of good stuff - really got me using more knee bend/leg drive, and using my entire upper body as single unit. Is one of the few things I truly miss from training with kettlebells.

Home with my parents. Fewer kettlebells so I had to improvise. I figured I would use the opportunity to do some new stuff. So I tried out strength aerobics.

Here is how I did it:

2 reps 44 kilo kettlebell deadlift.
2 reps archair push-up (one side)

Rest a couple of seconds, maybe ten or twenty.

2 reps of 20 kilo snatch.
2 reps of one sided front squat.

Rest.

24 sets. 31 minutes. A bit of acid, not much, but maybe a bit too much. Maybe this was due to the fact that both deadlift and front squat is taxing the squats. Or maybe 31 minutes were a bit much the first time I did this workout. For the next time maybe I could reduce the number of squats I did in each set, or maybe switch between two and one squat.

It was fun.

Yesterday I did rowing on a row-machine:

22 minutes: 4 km. Resistance level 5. I felt I could have done this for two hours.

Last edited:
Tried an easier version of strength aerobics:

15 minutes. 12 sets:

1 and 2 reps of 44 kg kettlebell deadlift. (alternating between 1 and 2 reps).
2 reps of archer push up.

small rest.

2 reps of snatch (20 kg)
1 and 2 reps of one arm KB front squat. (20 kg). (alternating between 1 and 2 reps.)

Quite easy work-out. I enjoyed it.

First day of 5RM Front squat program. Very excited about it. The program recommend to test your 5RM the first Monday, but I have already tested that so I rather did 5*5 of somewhat lighter FSQ. 24*2 and reps and sets were 5*5.

Then did some light double clean as recommended by Neupert. First 10*3 of double 16. Then two sets of six with double 20. Then some mace bell work and some very light bent press work with 12 kilo just to see what this exercise is.

I really enjoy these very light StrongFirst workouts that leave you feeling happy and ready for a new day. Makes me feel that the saying is true: Train to live, not live to train.

Tomorrow I will do kettlebell mile with 20 kilo.

Minus 9 degrees outside so decided to do kettlebell mile inside. Did this with 20 kilo. Marched around in my living room with 20 kilo. 14 minutes.

Did some light goblet squat to practice technique when doing squats. I seem to have been to laid-back with technique when doing a lot of front squat. It is important to keep the back straight and to stop the movement when you are no longer able to keep the back straight. If you keep your back straight and then descend you might end up in a place where you feel a stretch in the hamstrings. Then you pause, and then you ascend. I guess that is why they keep on recommending the goblet squat as a good practice-excercise that is meant to be done often.

Trying out mindful eating. Looks interesting and something that is a way of living that I can do for the rest of my life.

Strength aerobics:

24 kilo: Clean, press and squat. 1 to 3 reps.
+
20 kilo Snatch: 2 and 3 reps.

24 minutes. 21 sets. This was quite easy. Maybe I could continue doing this and then in some time also start to mix in the 28.

Strength aerobics:

24 kg clean, press and squat.
28 kg clean, press and squat.

20 kilo snatch:

21.30 minutes. 10 sets with 28 and 10 sets with 24. Easy work-out.

The routine goes like this:

24 kilo: 2 cleans, 1 press, and 1 squat. Right.
20 kilo: 3 snatch right.
24 kilo: 2 cleans, 1 press and 1 squat. left.
20 kilo: 3 snatch left.
28 kilo: 1 on all three exercises. right
28 kilo: 1 on all three exercises. left.
20 kilo: 3 snatch left.
24 kilo: 1 cleans, 2 press, and 2 squat. Right.
24 kilo: 1 cleans, 2 press, and 2 squat. left
etc etc

I liked it. Not hard. Maybe on a scale to 10, a 4 or 5.

Quite tired today: I did 30 minutes of meditation before I trained.

Week 2 of Squat 5 RM program.

FSQ: 24+28 kilo: 5*5.
Cleans: 24+24: 3*7 (7 is the reps).

I also tried some bent press with 12 kilo just for fun.
Overhead walk two sets with 24+24 kilo.
Then I did some light Tim Anderson push-ups (on your knees but you Pendle back and forth). Did 20 reps in one set.

I will take tomorrow off.

I did my way of strength aerobics:

1 set: 15 seconds of crawling
24 kilo/28 kilo clean, press, squat/ (every other set 28)
3 snatch one hand with 20 kilo.

Then switch hand.

22 minutes. 40 seconds.

8 sets with 24 kilo
6 sets with 28 kilo.

So in 23 minutes I did:

42 snatches
3,5 minutes of crawling
20 presses
20 squats
22 cleans

I was tired so this felt quite hard.

Strength aerobics:

20 kilo:

2 cleans, 2 press and 2 squats.
3 snatches.
2 walk-outs.
Repeat with opposite hand.

Also mixed in a bit of easy jerk and easy wiking presses. 30 minutes. My work capacity is low. Maybe due to poor sleep.

Today I walked 25 000 steps.
Afterwards I did easy aerobic training:
Trained for 35 minutes. Bicycled 12,6 km. (resistance level 4) this is new record for how long I have bicycled on a stationary bike.

I love this form of training. It easy. You can be mindful. And it feels very healthy. Quite content with today. I also ate a banana split.

Back
Top Bottom