all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Dayz , no instructor here but the double clean and press hits the lower body similarly to a swing in that the clean "is a swing that ends up in the rack"... As to your question regarding lower body development, it uses the lower body for powering the bells into the rack and tension in the quads to press overhead. Will it develop Tom Platz quads, no. Will it keep your body strong, conditioned as a whole, yes...a one stop shop so to speak.

A few years ago (2015) I had been doing a lot of double front squats and go fairly good at them. Gave them up while focussing on the Strong! program with the clean and push press and finally the clean and press. Process was like six months. Upon returning to doing front squats I was a little surprised I didn't lose a whole lot at all. In addition I got more pull ups than before. This is why I think the program works so well, you pick a big full body movement, work it in a hard a focussed manner, get in and get out 3x per week.

Your mileage may vary, sir.

Been working through strong with 36kgs, very enjoyable. At the same time im practicing double swings in small doses in preparation for an a+a one program when i finish strong. So far swinging double 36’s seems like too much when doing sets of 5, but doing sets of 5 with 32kgs seems doable. Not sure long i could do emom with 32s but i can swing them with good power in small doses.

It all depends on how well you can root your feet to the ground, engage your legs, glutes and abs..

From my personal experience, there were countless times when I was doing rep max testing where my quads cramped bad after pressing

It all depends on how well you can root your feet to the ground, engage your legs, glutes and abs..

From my personal experience, there were countless times when I was doing rep max testing where my quads cramped bad after pressing

Mark, I have also experienced the same cramping during a rep max! Also the bottoms of my feet have cramped after "gripping" the floor through my converse!

End of phase 1 today:
I have tested the 2 lifts togheter today:
Clean & press with 36s from 3/4 repetitions to solid 7 repetitions.
Zercher Squat with kg 107 from 5 repetitions to 12 repetitions

Nice, I was wondering what your progress would look like. I am currently doing the Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst

But want to move back to a more minimalist approach. DFW has been a go to for me for a long time. More Kettlebell Muscle is great...and I've run through Strong several times, but always "feel" like I want to hit two lifts.

Strong+one is an option I know.
seeing this option gives me another option.

Will go

C+P (M.Th)
DFS (Tu,Fri)

Hi Jake,

First thing sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian.
The Fabio Zonin's plan is great!
For my progression: in the beginning of this year I have a mail exchange with Geoff Neupert, and we decided to try Strong for Kettlebell Clean & Press and for Barbell Zercher Squat. 2 days a week of C&P (mo and th) and 2 days ZSQ (th and fr). For the warm up for the first month I used a easy complex with double 24s (snatch, clean, press, squat and swing) after the first month I used only O.S. Reset for my warm up.
Now for phase 2 I will use the slow and steady protocol only for C&P 3 times a week and no for ZSQ (too much hard for the recovery) but I think to add Sumo Deadlift and Zercher Squat (or double Kettlebell front squat) in easy strength way (5x2, 2x5, 3x3 or 6x1, no 5/3/2 because I don't like change the weight on barbell in one workout ?), this look in this way:
Mo C&P + SQ
We C&P + DL
Fr C&P + SQ
Mo C&P + DL
etc...
Hope that help

I'm currently on week 3 of the Strong! program. I'm doing the push press for the first cycle

@Theo ... My first time through "Strong!" was with the push press. (Was full cycle clean and push press). As I've said before I believe it actually made my press stronger. Go through the program and don't be surprised if you can repeat the program doing the press!

Hi everyone. I am running the program for the second time and I am also in the third week. I am using two 28 kg kettlebells for C&P. Following what Geoff Neupert wrote in an article, I tripled the series. I'm curious where it will take me.

May the force be with you ???

Hi everyone. I am running the program for the second time and I am also in the third week. I am using two 28 kg kettlebells for C&P. Following what Geoff Neupert wrote in an article, I tripled the series. I'm curious where it will take me.

What does one session look like?
If you have:
5 sets of 2 reps, how do you do it?

What does one session look like?
If you have:
5 sets of 2 reps, how do you do it?
I do 15 sets of 2 reps every 90 seconds.

So...in few weeks you are going to be 30 sets of 3? Is that with a bell that you can do a tough 4 to 5 reps with?

What did Geoff Neupert say in an article that made you want to triple the number of sets? Earlier in this thread he seemed pretty clear that you shouldn't deviate from the program. (He was polite and said you could do something different, but you wouldn't be doing Strong and not to blame the program if it didn't work, since you didn't do the program. You did something else.)

So...in few weeks you are going to be 30 sets of 3? Is that with a bell that you can do a tough 4 to 5 reps with?

What did Geoff Neupert say in an article that made you want to triple the number of sets? Earlier in this thread he seemed pretty clear that you shouldn't deviate from the program. (He was polite and said you could do something different, but you wouldn't be doing Strong and not to blame the program if it didn't work, since you didn't do the program. You did something else.)

In this article I seemed to understand that, after completing phase one as described in the original program, it is possible to repeat it by duplicating or tripling the series. I hope I have not misunderstood.
As for the weight, the double 28kg for me correspond to 5 repetitions.

In this article I seemed to understand that, after completing phase one as described in the original program, it is possible to repeat it by duplicating or tripling the series. I hope I have not misunderstood.

That is how I took the article as well.

Quoted:

However, if AGT is your primary training focus, there are two easy ways to make the program work for you:

• Stay with the first phase of the program and recycle it with a heavier pair of kettlebells.
  • Double or even triple the prescribed work sets over the course of time and use it as a pure A+A program.

Ah, I see.

I wonder, and hopefully Geoff will let us know, if he's talking about repeating it (and doubling/tripling it) with the same bell size? If you run it a second time, that original bell is no longer a 5 rep max weight. In that case tripling it would be more doable.

But that's just me theorizing since taking a good program and tripling it in the name of AGT seems strange. I'm on phase 2, and can't imagine tripling it. If I did, it would probably wreck me. And I'd have to have some very long rest periods. Of course, Phase 2 is higher reps than Phase 1. So maybe I'm wrong.

@Geoff Neupert

I'm pretty sure that he is talking about doubling with the same size bell to accumulate volume. The idea is that with the C&P you would have to stay at 3 reps or less to be in the AGT zone. You would only double or triple Phase 1 (not 2 or 3) to stay within the 10-15 AGT window. That way you accumulate lots of volume with low rep sets and long rests. My understanding is that with these high volume pressing programs the general rule is to get over 60 reps of volume to get to the next bell size. (Strong peaks at 60 reps, ROP at 75). The volume is necessary to deal with the large jumps between KB sizes.

Then you could use the Phase 2 short course as a brief glycolytic hypertrophy phase, but it would be easier because of the previous AGT volume that has been accumulated.

Last edited:
Hello!
I'am an old SF fan from Hungary :)
Whar do You think about "Moving Target Komplex" vs. "Strong" ?

Welcome to the forum.

KB strong is ultra-minimalist program which focuses to building strength in single movement(dbl clean & press or front squat). It's long, but very effective program for that. I have'nt done it myself, but usually it makes your 5RM to 10+RM. This is very good progress! It's propably one the most effective programs for getting STRONG.

Moving target complex is more about building some size to your arms, shoulders, back and legs. It also delivers good strength gains when done properly with decent weights.

But what ever program you choose. Just do it. Consistency is key to success. :)

Ps. It's nice to have more Finno-ugrics here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom