all posts post new thread

"The Best All-Around Training Method EVER"- 6 months in, I'd say YES!!!!!

update- after a nice easy vacation week of doing daily 30 minutes 24kg for singles at the top and bottom of the minute as an easy week, jumped back in

tonight the pattern was 1 w/ the 32kg, 2 or 3 (alternating) with the 36kg, 1 w/ the 32kg, then 1.5 or 2 (alternating) with the 40kg

did this for 48 total minutes (10 rounds of the above) ... the goal was to practice doing some higher reps with the heavier weights with some density-

solid effort- the heavy bells continue to get easier and easier and i'm still intrigued as to whether there is a ceiling- it doesn't feel like it's close- 10 months in and i'm still loving every workout- i've got a lot of mileage from almost 4 decades of training and i can't tell you how refreshed i feel... it's setting up things nicely in the short and long term

Last edited:
Personally, I have opted not to add a third LCCJ day, but to avoid diminishing returns and rather add 1 day of Iron Cardio + 2-3 days of regular cardio -- always prioritizing LCCJ work, if recovery or time are limited.

I like that Clean, Press and Squat (Iron Cardio) mirrors the LCCJ, but slower and with more ROM, giving me some specialized variety and change of pace.

This is interesting. Do you keep Iron Cardio sessions as a light day, short and easy session? Or how do you approach it?

My suggestion would be practice your jerk form.
Or consider just one clean every 30 seconds on the 30 seconds.
+1.

Also my recovery because I've upped my workload (intensity, quantity and diversity) so I'm probably overeaching in my weekly training cycles. just trying to hang-in there until my body can match the new load. you can see the spike in the last weeks of June when I closed off my 8week S&S mission, and I maintained the new load until last weeks go-slow (2 rest days).
1689751972430.png

This is interesting. Do you keep Iron Cardio sessions as a light day, short and easy session? Or how do you approach it?
It depends.

Mostly shorter, medium sessions (20-30 minutes with my medium bell), preceded by 2-3 TGUs. The overall workload is actually a bit difficult to balance. On days, were I am not fully recovered I migh alternate my medium bell with my lighter bell. This way I get some easy volume and practice of both a working weight and more of a recovery-weight, if that makes sense.

Sometimes I also incorporate doubles, or push presses with a heavier bell. I have also tried adding a second IC day as active recovery -- just 10-15 minutes with an easier weight and a relaxed pace, just for additional practice and blood flow.

I have an idea of what I want to try beforehand, but I usually chose my option right before I start, based on what excites me and what seems manageable, given my time frame and energy level.

went after it today- big goal accomplished-

30 minutes with the 32kg, 3/3 the whole time... heart rate went up- but stayed well within the strong first stop signs...

this program rocks
That is awesome progress, very inspiring.

Questions for you/ others. As your get to the higher weights and repeats (3/30 secs) - is your form still strong first type where you derive more benefit Pavel style using full force etc.
or do you start to slip into GS mode where the reps are becoming more relaxed to be as efficient as possible? I mean I can see a need to maybe do that as the volume is getting so high and have had to check my form at times.

That is awesome progress, very inspiring.

Questions for you/ others. As your get to the higher weights and repeats (3/30 secs) - is your form still strong first type where you derive more benefit Pavel style using full force etc.
or do you start to slip into GS mode where the reps are becoming more relaxed to be as efficient as possible? I mean I can see a need to maybe do that as the volume is getting so high and have had to check my form at times.
I would say more of a mix. Still hardstyle but without real pauses in any of the positions. For example, not pausing in the rack after a clean, but going directly into the first dip. However, the overall form stays the same, with knees lockout, and no scooping. Especially when going from the catch in the rack to the next clean.

With lower reps, I often play around with faster and slower reps, pausing longer at certain points, and being extra explosive during other phases.

However, there is some leeway here, and I find that Harald Motz is using more of a fluid approach, but he is also using much heavier weights than me :)

i'm very happy to think that my form NEVER changes- i've taken the view on this that it is the long slow burn that matters- sustainable- so that yesterday's effort would pass muster regarding strict form... lot's of C&J's over the last 10 months has codified a pretty good motor pattern

I'm really enjoying this program myself although I am using double bells with the push press instead of the jerk. I am ready to add the second push press my next workout so I am getting stronger and better conditioned. An added bonus is that this format is not beating me up which has allowed me to learn/practice the snatch on my off days. I think this program is a real keeper and is something that I can do for a long time while I try and keep the old man at bay!

Hi couple of questions. Does LCCJ target type 2x fast twitch fibres more or type 2a? I’m guessing it hits a bit of both? Also for practioners of grappling arts/wrestling/MMA have you found better carry over doing A+A snatches or A+A clean and jerks. Which one would you pick and why (assuming you had to chose between them)?

In the comments section of the article Pavel said you could run the same c&j progression with snatches (start with 1 snatch E:30sec then progress to 2 reps after you hit the 30min threshold etc)

You could in theory run the same progression with c&j & snatch in the same week... 2 days a week of double c&j OTM and then 1H snatch E:30 sec

Best of both worlds

I followed the same protocol but with 24kg goblet squats the other day. maybe 10minutes in my session, my version is every 45s not yet every 30s. I did mostly did sets of 1rep, which kept me within the talk-test and some 2reps which pushed me overthe talk-test, and the set of 3 reps forced me to take a longer rest, rest= not really a rest, the next set or2 was simple deadlifts, or easy 5swings just to get my HR down.

In the comments section of the article Pavel said you could run the same c&j progression with snatches (start with 1 snatch E:30sec then progress to 2 reps after you hit the 30min threshold etc)

You could in theory run the same progression with c&j & snatch in the same week... 2 days a week of double c&j OTM and then 1H snatch E:30 sec

Best of both worlds
I think in that same reply Pavel also mentioned one might consider holding one of the exercises steady while advancing the other, then switch. So, if training three days per week as you suggested, do 2 C&J sessions/1 Sn for a while, advancing the C&J, then switch to 2Sn/1 C&J while advancing the Sn.

Lots of good, easy ways to get "same but different" with this sort of training.

this may represent the apex of Goldilocks workouts- what i mean by that is that it is very easy to calibrate and follow the "your highs should be high and your lows should be low"

doing 1 rep every 30 seconds is always an honorable workout- you can increase the weight, go for longer (90 plus minutes), etc... or just get 20 to 30 minutes in if you are pressed for time

if you want to really go after it, 3 reps every 3 seconds with a moderate to heavy weight also has a great deal of value- seeing where you are fitness wise, testing yourself, suffering, etc...

but it seems that you can always hit it "just about right" especially if you follow the stop signs... i'm 10 months in, each workout feels fresh and interesting and the physiologic gains continue

this may represent the apex of Goldilocks workouts- what i mean by that is that it is very easy to calibrate and follow the "your highs should be high and your lows should be low"

doing 1 rep every 30 seconds is always an honorable workout- you can increase the weight, go for longer (90 plus minutes), etc... or just get 20 to 30 minutes in if you are pressed for time

if you want to really go after it, 3 reps every 3 seconds with a moderate to heavy weight also has a great deal of value- seeing where you are fitness wise, testing yourself, suffering, etc...

but it seems that you can always hit it "just about right" especially if you follow the stop signs... i'm 10 months in, each workout feels fresh and interesting and the physiologic gains continue
Absolutely, this is a Goldilocks park bench philosophy. I’ve been using the “1 rep every 0:30” seconds for at least the past 68 training sessions, cycling between swings, cleans, goblet squats, Turkish getups, and dumbell swing to push press. It is excellent.

Of course, I don’t have an overly specific thing I’m working towards, so an awesome GPP concept like this fits me perfectly.

Two questions: Have this type of training led to any hypertrophy ?

Have anyone tried doing this with snatch ? That is one snatch every 30 second, or one snatch every 20 second ?

Back
Top Bottom