all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Liver King Steroid 'Controversy'

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just wanted to believe he is natural, because I have no intention of ever juicing.
Performance enhancing drugs exist on the same spectrum of other illegal drugs with moral opprobrium, legitimate health concerns, desire for law and order etc all mixed up. But once you realise there’s no point jailing people for smoking marijuana it’s only a matter of time before you realise there’s no point jailing people for smoking crack and along that pathway you realise there’s no point jailing meatheads for injecting themselves with stuff that creates big muscles (particularly since a lot of the stuff is available at the pharmacist anyway or is made from the stuff that’s available from the pharmacist anyway). And then the moral opprobrium and the law and order concerns slip away and we are just left with legitimate health concerns with products that can certainly do you harm but probably never will. Like marijuana and schizophrenia, PEDs are associated with poor health outcomes but ‘sensible‘ use of PEDs usually leads to no adverse health outcomes at all - they’re performance enhancing for a reason! Your average fitness enthusiast with or without drugs is not spending a lot of time at the doctors office

On further reflection, there should be more serious consequences for such cheaters. It doesn't just end here that some people will stop following him because they feel lied to. Many people believe such scammers and for many years make efforts that do not give them the results that the scammers promise. They spend their time on the wrong training, diet, finances, and many other things that they wouldn't have done if they knew the truth and had a different approach. From this point of view, such fraudsters do not a little harm to people.

Kinda like Musk and people accusing him of making up his degree. He already built the rockets, I don’t think whether or not he has a bachelors degree about rockets matters anymore. He obviously knows how to do it.
I mean, kinda. Is Musk actually engineering it or just funding it? I don't follow him enough to know.

In S&C/fitness, there are A TON of "coaches" who've "worked with" World Champions/Olympians/pro athletes. That could mean anything from actual coaching to 'had a conversation with at the water fountain' or 'took a selfie with'. Some fizzle out, and others actually start to put together some legitimate endorsements - but if it started out as a lie, it still started out as a lie, and other legitimate coaches may have been left out of an industry that probably could have used some legitimate wisdom.

With PEDs, it's one thing to just be an average Joe looking to lift more, feel better, look better. It's another to lie about it. It's another to make friends/family/partners/teammates complicit in your lie. It's another to sell products based on that lie.

I know there is nothing new under the sun. Just another false idol, regardless of the sincerity of his persona. More than anything, it just disappointments me that this person, and many like him, are role models (really because a vacuum exists) to some people, most likely young men.

I know there is nothing new under the sun. Just another false idol, regardless of the sincerity of his persona. More than anything, it just disappointments me that this person, and many like him, are role models (really because a vacuum exists) to some people, most likely young men.

Eh, I dunno if young people are looking to get into eating raw liver and testicles.

That seems like something middle aged dudes would do.

Eh, I dunno if young people are looking to get into eating raw liver and testicles.

That seems like something middle aged dudes would do.
True enough. But it's not the diet that I have an issue with. I love red meat and have since I was a young boy. Left to my own devices, I could probably get by on just that and little else. I've come to believe that some people have a taste for animal flesh and some simply don't.

My problem has more to do with the lifestyle he's promoting. It appears to be all vanity with no substance, no values. And I don't even really care that much. Like I said, it just makes me a little sad. I just hope that anyone who takes something positive away from this guy also has someone to look to for a counterbalance.

True enough. But it's not the diet that I have an issue with. I love red meat and have since I was a young boy. Left to my own devices, I could probably get by on just that and little else. I've come to believe that some people have a taste for animal flesh and some simply don't.

My problem has more to do with the lifestyle he's promoting. It appears to be all vanity with no substance, no values. And I don't even really care that much. Like I said, it just makes me a little sad. I just hope that anyone who takes something positive away from this guy also has someone to look to for a counterbalance.

Not to defend the Liver King, but claimed values are the core of his marketing pitch, actually.

"Ancestral tenets" as they call them.

Some of them I agree with.

The main loss here is, the chance of offal hitting the main stream takes a huge blow. I grew up in Wyoming eating Rocky Mountain oysters and lamb fry, legitimately not knowing what a real oyster was until my teens lol.

Nowadays you can’t find them anywhere, even basque restaurants I’ve found don’t carry them.

The main loss here is, the chance of offal hitting the main stream takes a huge blow. I grew up in Wyoming eating Rocky Mountain oysters and lamb fry, legitimately not knowing what a real oyster was until my teens lol.

Nowadays you can’t find them anywhere, even basque restaurants I’ve found don’t carry them.
I personally liked it when heart and liver were cheap because nobody wanted them.

Sometimes I fear what would happen if a health guru discovered how delicious Squirrel Pasties are and decided that eating like an ancestral miner was the healthiest way to eat.

I mean, kinda. Is Musk actually engineering it or just funding it? I don't follow him enough to know.
IIRC from his biography he pretty much tried to buy one from Russia, they said no. So he hired a small team of amateurs to build Falcon 1 and was pretty involved with the fuel systems.

So a little bit of both. From his twitter fiasco it is pretty clear that he gets his hands in everything... and works best when working from the beginning of a project.

But I get what you are saying. And frankly it is one of the problems with DD. They try to make every author seem like gods gift to the fitness world and while I don't want to say lie, they certainly embellish things. You will notice that SF pretty much does away with almost all of that.

I personally liked it when heart and liver were cheap because nobody wanted them.

Sometimes I fear what would happen if a health guru discovered how delicious Squirrel Pasties are and decided that eating like an ancestral miner was the healthiest way to eat.

Where can I buy squirrel meat?

The closest rodent I can buy in the store is rabbit.

(although I guess they're no longer classified as rodents)

Now, I'm relatively new here. I live in the Carolinas and there's currently a deer problem. sharpshooters are being hired out by local municipalities and there was a rash of roadkilled deer. and some of the locals have been annoyed that apparently, they need to ask the permission of the police to put the deer in the trunk and take it to a butcher.

Now, I'm relatively new here. I live in the Carolinas and there's currently a deer problem. sharpshooters are being hired out by local municipalities and there was a rash of roadkilled deer. and some of the locals have been annoyed that apparently, they need to ask the permission of the police to put the deer in the trunk and take it to a butcher.
Yeah, the police involvement is usually to discourage poachers from abusing leniency.
Up north they tend to foodbank the sharpshooter deer.

Where can I buy squirrel meat?

The closest rodent I can buy in the store is rabbit.

(although I guess they're no longer classified as rodents)
Connect with your local ancestral tenant. They are likely to have a connection. Although you might need to leave the yuppie areas are go out yonder...

Alternatively, you can develop an ancestral lifestyle and procure your own. Bows are quite ancestral, and generally legal throughout the US.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom