all posts post new thread

The Obstacle is the Way (was S&S and PTTP)

Today’s practice

Maxwells Daily Dozen +

10 rds of 30 baithaks, 10 dands and 5 pull-ups.
Time - 43:40
Peak hr 143
Average hr - 121

SuperJoints and activity later - the above could be considered my morning recharge. In addition time and heart rate data refer to the dands, baithaks and pull-ups - not the preparation movement.

Today’s practice

SuperJoints

10 rds of 30 baithaks, 10 dands, 5 pull-ups
MHR-141, AHR-119, 41:23 duration

Swim later and more mobility work.

Today’s practice

SuperJoints

10 rds of 30 baithaks, 10 dands, 5 pull-ups
MHR-154, AHR-123, 43:40 duration

Dragged today. Dragged myself out of bed, forced myself to do the workout. Didn’t have much pop, but the discipline has to count for something!

My shoulder has regressed. I’m not sure if the high rep dands are aggravating it or if I’m just missing the restorative value of the swings. But it is definitely going the wrong way.

After my MRI results were reviewed with my doctor I(we) ruled out surgery. Both shoulders have extensive damage. Teres minor is still good in both shoulders. In the left shoulder all three other rotator cuff muscles are fully ruptured and retracted. In addition the long head of the biceps is off the groove. This shoulders damage goes back decades. Started with rugby injuries and then got torn up bit by bit. But there is no pain and while stability and rom are compromised there is simply no chance of re-attaching the tendons. The doctor felt the atrophy that would occur in my deltoids and other muscles that compensate for the damage is not worth taking a chance on. I’m handling it well.

The right shoulder isn’t pain free. But the damage isn’t as extensive. Unfortunately the supraspinatus is fully torn and retracted. Infraspinatus is partially torn and they didn’t get a good shot of subscapularis, but think it is also fully ruptured. Same issue here - the retraction is so extreme that the chance of repair is small. So if I try repair during the extensive recovery period the other shoulder muscles will atrophy.

For me the issue is getting the right pain free and keeping strength up. High rep dands and baithaks doesn’t seem to work.

One thing that does work. I hadn’t done high rep baithaks for ages. But with the 100 swings daily in 2 week blocs there was no problem doing 10 sets of 30. No DOMS. The A&A protocol seems to keep the cardiovascular system in good shape and the swings transfer nicely.

I’m not sure if it’s worth posting this to the open forum. The doctor noted three things.

1. The extent of damage to my shoulders is extreme.
2. The compensatory mechanisms my body has developed work amazingly well.
3. Keep doing what I’m doing - if I can get the left shoulder pain free I should be able to do the same for the right.

I don’t see much chance anyone else is dealing with the same injuries and limited surgical options.

My options are arthroscopic surgery to clean up what they can, cortisone shots, NSAIDS and, failing management, shoulder replacement.

What I’ve been doing right appears to be SuperJoints, S&S, PTTP and hangs. So I’m going to try and replicate S&S and PTTP with bodyweight movements.

Only SuperJoints today and will walk and swim. Shoulder was uncomfortable last night and interfered with my sleep.

Today’s practice

Press Reset

5x
Stair sprints (6 stories) & 5 pull-ups

SuperJoints with shoulder emphasis

I decided to quit trying to do presses and statics that hurt. Keep the goal the goal - to quote or paraphrase Dan John. So

My bw version of Pavel’s minimal programs is stair sprints and pull-ups. Neither hurts. I roll dice (2) and use that for rounds.

I will use SuperJoints as a training program, focusing on shoulders. Also some fast & loose, etc. I sandwich a shoulder exercise between every SJ movement.

The goal - maintain strength while rehabbing the shoulder.

Last edited:
I’ve been consistently following the plan - I only missed Monday this week as I did 3 hours of hiking along the coast. I varied from 10 to 3 rds this week. Shoulder feels quite good.

On Wednesday I added in bench dips. So a round consists of going up 5 floors of stairs, jog down, a 15m walk to the playground where I do 6 pull-ups and 6 bench dips, then short walk to the stairs and repeat.

Typically a round takes about 4 minutes - I can typically pass the talk test for all the rd except perhaps at the top of the stairs - and my heart rate peaks at about 145 with an average of 115.

I’ve been doing a minimum of 2 SuperJoint sessions per day. On days where the dice roll is lower I may add in other movements - typically animal flow basics. I also am averaging 15,000 steps per day and 4-5 times per week swim for 15-30 minutes.

All good. Sustainable and my shoulder feels real good. My waist is tightening up (based on belt going in a notch) - no idea what my weight is doing.

Last week - I did daily practice sessions (6 in total) of rds of stair climbs, pull-ups and dips. The number of rds depending on two dice. It ranged from 12 to 5 last week.

Time to complete - high is 50:30, low is 19:20
Max heart rate - high is 157, low is 126
Average heart rate - high is 122, low is 102

Everyday I did at least one SuperJoint session. This week I’m doing Press Reset before the practice and then hopefully at least one SuperJoints session later in the day.

I twisted my knee on Monday last week and made the mistake of pushing through on Tuesday. Wednesday & Thursday off and did single steps on Friday and Saturday. Back to normal practice this week.

4 practice sessions this week
Rounds completed - high is 9, low is 3
Time to complete - high is 36:30, low is 12:55
Max heart rate - high is 143, low is 119
Average heart rate - high is 110, low is 101

Been a while. I was consistent in Mexico. Pull-ups, dips and stair sprints. But on coming back I’ve been struggling with what I want to do. My situation has changed - I really don’t need to be minimalist or super efficient. I have to build up my shoulders despite my rotator cuff ruptures. And I need to focus on moving well. But. I love pure strength. So here us the plsn

I’m doing the Rites of Passage. KB press and pull-up by the book.

This gives me my pull-up training for the TSC and rebuilds my shoulders. Pull and press are looked after.

I did two weeks of swings and snatches by the book (that would be RoP from Enter the Kettlebell). But I really don’t want those metabolic plunges, in particular the 100% effort every week. So I’m doing the quick and the dead, focusing more on snatches for now. Pavel noted Toshner used this protocol to good effect. Pavel wrote an article on minimalist deadlifts with Q&tD - I’m following that by the letter.

So M-W-F are a RoP and Q&tD mashup with deadlifts thrown in. All following Pavel’s instructions despite the apparent joining. Q&tD notes it can work with a strength program - the RoP press and pull-up is pure strength. Deadlifts thrown in as per the article. I start with Press Reset, do pry goblet squats, halos and prying pumps and then go into the workout.

Variety days are focused on movement skills and recovery or restoration. I start with SuperJoints and then do a lot of ground work and brachiates. Feels great.

The other nice thing is I can throw a kb and my rings into my car and continue my workouts while camping. Since my wife and I plan to be in our trailer a lot this is a huge advantage.

When I am less busy on renovations I also plan to walk more. But right now renos are a priority.

Today’s practice

Press reset + pry goblet squats, halos & prying pump stretch

3 series of 044 protocol snatches with a 24 kg kb

Deadlift singles - 295, 345, 375, 405

5 ladders of 1-2-3-4-5 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

2 rds of 3/3 hang foot pinches, 90/90, QL, spinal rocks & shoulder wall stretch

I did a full set of ladders to 5. The press is done with a snatch to start and then presses going as low as I can. I don’t own the 16kg. With the rotator cuff damage in my shoulders I’m trying to get my reps to a clean rack position. I’m close for the first 3 rungs. I’m at the stage where if I can stay in a groove I’m good. But if I get out of the groove I have no stabilizers to get back. So I’m sticking with 16 until all reps go right to a rack position.

Snatches went well. My right shoulder stayed strong throughout and I parked the kb nicely at the top. Pain was moderate in my right shoulder. Deadlifts also went well. I slowed down on the 405, but still had something in the tank.

Here’s my rational for my current mashup of Pavel’s programs.

I knew I had to focus on shoulders. My doctor was very impressed with my rehab and relatively pain free left shoulder. Since he cannot re-attach my tendons he said whatever I did for my left - do the same for the right. That would be SuperJoints, quadruped movement, getups and press. The kb press part of the rites of passage is essentially rehab. But I’m pushing the pull-ups for the TSC. If I can get ladders to 5 with weight I should be good for 15 or so pullups.

I was re-reading ‘the Quick and the Dead’ and Pavel made a comment that got me thinking. He said he was asked to create a next generation conditioning protocol and agreed, thinking it would be easy. But he ended up burrowing down the rabbit hole. In other words - A&A training was something he was exploring and hadn’t looked into for RoP. This comment, combined with my age and goals led me to drop the conditioning prescribed in the rites of passage and replace it with the quick and the dead program.

He had also commented that the Q&tD program can work with a strength program. And in RoP said strength and conditioning play by different rules. Pavel has also suggested his later programs are improved. So the RoP and Q&tD mashup seems prescribed for me.

Last, the article Q&D + Minimalist Deadlifts. Perfect. I have the 3 TSC movements and shoulder rehab in a neat package. The 3 days a week framework maximizes my recovery (deferring to my age) and allows me lots of time to play with movement and restoration.

I loved the simplicity of PTTP & S&S. But my situation has changed. I have the time now and love spending time in the gym. So I can’t be stubborn. The obstacle is the way.

The way is RoP with Q&tD and minimal deadlifts. Perfect!

Every time I re-read these books of Pavel I pick up on something I hadn’t previously considered. Time well spent.

Last edited:
Today’s practice

3 series of 5/4 snatches with a 24 kg kb

Deadlift singles - 295, 325, 355, 315, 345

5 ladders of 1-2-3 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

Played a bit in the gym - sprint starts, throwing & catching a ball, baseball swings

Yesterday I had a light variety day.

Today’s practice

5 series of 10/2 snatches with a 24 kg kb

5 ladders of 1-2-3-4 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

Today I did session 1 of the week of June 20, 2022 MovNat MAPS workout. I was surprised at how I was challenged by the basic mobility warmup.

So I think my way forward is clear. M-W-F Pavel is my coach - the RoP, Q&D with minimal deadlift works perfectly. Shoulder rehab and strength/conditioning in the 3 TSC movements.

Steve Freides is quoted by Pavel in ‘The Quick and the Dead book.

Balance is overrated. The idea that a lifting program must touch on all the “basic human movements” is fundamentally flawed. One should move in as many varied ways as possible, at least from time to time, but that doesn’t mean heavily loading every possible movement pattern. A lifting program can do what a lifting program needs to do and only contain two lifts. A lifting program doesn’t need to be balanced—a life does.”

So my variety of movement will be driven by the MAPS workouts. As well as my sports, swimming and possible some martial arts (I have a background in Wado Kai karate and a bit of freestyle wrestling ). Which is essentially the MovNat ‘evolutionary movement’ model - I have Erwin Le Corre’s ‘the Practice of Natural Movement’ to guide MovNat.

Of course, damaged joints will need SuperJoints practice and Tim Anderson’s resets fit nicely into MovNat. So there isn’t so much huge underlying philosophy change so much as a framework. I’m not great at freestyle or intuitive training. I like a program. So MAPS gives me that for movement variety.

One caveat. The MAPS workouts are going to be restorative - not pushing strength or endurance. They will be easy. Strength and endurance are covered by Pavel’s workouts.

Fridays practice

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 5/5 halos & 5/5 prying pump stretch

4 series of 10/2 snatches with a 24 kg kb

5 ladders of 1-2-3-4-5 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

I was able to get all presses in, but my last ladder of pull-ups I didn’t get the 5 rung done. Presses were good - I still have stability issues due to rotator cuff damage. I’ll stick with 16kg.

Monday’s practice

2 series of 5/4 snatches, 1 series of 10/2, all with a 24 kg kb

Deadlift singles - 295, 335, 365

5 ladders of 1-2-3 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

Played a bit in the gym - sprint starts, throwing & catching a ball, baseball swings

Tuesday I did a variety day focusing on shoulder rom.

Today’s practice

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 5/5 halos & 3/3 prying pump stretch

5 series of 10/2 snatches with a 24 kg kb

5 ladders of 1-2-3-4 rungs - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5

2 rds of 90/90, QL & spinal rocks

Interesting day today. I’ve been using a mirror for presses - not a good idea as both my experience and education dictate. But I was trying to keep my right shoulder in a groove as if I get out it collapses. Today I let my proprioceptive system dictate the groove and the shoulder felt much better.

I’ve also did multiple SuperJoint workouts throughout the day, with sn emphasis on my shoulders. I did this to start yesterday’s practice and it felt good enough I decided I need more than 10-20 reps for my shoulders. I’ve never built up to the suggested reps (age is 65, so…) and PT suggested damaged joints need hundreds. I’ve got to start working towards that. Which for me would mean multiple SJ sessions daily.

Today’s practice

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 prying pump stretch

3 series of 10/2 snatches with a 24 kg kb

Deadlift singles - 295, 325, 355, 385

All the presses were done, but the last 2 ladders the rung of 5 only made it to 4.

2 rds of 90/90, QL, & shoulder wall stretch

For variety day yesterday I did a series of what I call ‘triads’.

The Paul Wade trifecta - bridges, L-sit and twist holds

The O-lift triad - snatch grip hi-pulls, oh squats and rack stretches to press. These felt great for my shoulder. I used a 15 lb bar (my best snatch in competition was 107.5 kg so this is humbling!). For the rack stretch I focus on getting my elbows up with the bar racked and still gripping in my palms.

The kb triad - getups, bent arm bars and windmills. Not much bend in the arm bar.

And my baseball triad. Throws, swings and sprints. I can’t throw overhand right now and ball starts next week.

Obviously all are aimed at shoulder rehab.

Back
Top Bottom