all posts post new thread

The Obstacle is the Way (was S&S and PTTP)

Today’s practice
Press Reset
S&S
  • 3 rds of 5 prying goblets squats (20kg kb), 5/5 kb halos (12kg kb) and 5 tables
  • 10 rds of 10 1-arm swings emom (32 kg kb) - shoulder joint movements sandwiched in rather than fast & loose
  • 10 12 kg kb partial getups to post (alternate sides) - rotator cuff strength exercise sandwiched in
  • roll to pistols, tuck jumps, sprints - various movements
  • 3 rds of various hangs
I’ll do stretches later today.

Took two weeks to head out to the Nevada/Arizona area - looking for a place to park my trailer and visiting friends in Summerlin - Las Vegas suburb. Normally my buddy and I go hiking or biking in Red Rock everyday. But I was congested and so freaking dizzy it was crazy. Tested negative for COVID, but lousy two weeks. So we played disc golf and took it easy.

Next two weeks - every weekday is S&S, Press Reset and GTG pullups

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 3/3 kb halos and 5 tables

10 rds of 10 kb swings - rds 3&4 use a 40kg, all others are 32kg. Typically emom but I use the talk test.

10 getups alternating sides - I’m starting with a 12 kg bell.

2-3 rds of 90/90, QL and hangs.

In addition I’m doing 6-12 sets of 3 pull-ups throughout the day. My intent is walk or ruck everyday.

I’ll report back at the end of two weeks on my compliance with the plan.

I followed the S&S plan to the letter the first week, but dropped GTG pull-ups the second week. I did getups to the post with a light kb - my shoulder prevents heavier bells.

A week ago Monday I started back in with PTTP - my sets of 5, 3, 2 have been intuitive, ranging from 295 to 385. Just going by feel. Next cycle will be a flexible wave that begins with 315. I found intuitive turns into ‘too heavy’ for me.

In fact, both S&S and PTTP work better for me when done by the book. I’ve been supplementing with MovNat - using the above programs for lifting and strength/conditioning and adding crawling, climbing, martial arts, etc. Using Pavel’s simple, effective and minimalist programs gives me more time for skill work and challenging my movement skills.

Today’s practice
Press Reset
3 rds of 5 24kg goblet squats
10 rds emom of 10 kb 1-hand swings - 60 with 32kg and 40 with 40kg
10 getups with 12kg
25 minutes working on movement skills

Last edited:
Today’s practice
Press Reset
3 rds of 5 24kg goblet squats
2 rds of 3/3 getup to post with 12kg
15 minutes of movement practise - focus on brachiates, sprints and throwing

Last edited:
My right shoulder still feels torn up - I finally go for an MRI next week - so throws are with both hands. I’m coming to grips with the idea I may have to throw left-handed if I want to play ball again. So I practice that as well as trying it right-handed.

Today’s practice
Press Reset
3 rds of 3/3 16kg goblet ‘Cossack’ squats
10 rds emom of 10 kb 2-hand swings - 60 with 32kg and 40 with 40kg
3 rds of 3/3 getup to post with 16kg
25 minutes of movement practice - focusing on balance and asymmetric oh squats.

I do shoulder exercises during brief rest periods. I’m always surprised after 2-handed swings - it feels easier, but my hamstrings get tight. More so than 1-handed swings.

I twinged my right shoulder yesterday doing a pull-up to forearms on the bar. So today I repeated only doing my getups ‘to post’ and using Cossack squats and full overhead split squats as assistance.

Yesterday’s practice

3 rds of 3/3 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 tables

5 rds of 1/1 getups with 6 lb medicine ball

Then I flick the crazy switch - my wife and I took possession of our new home and I’m ripping out about 900 square feet of carpet plus moving in boxes - everything but the big furniture. So a busy next four days with practical workouts.

Last edited:
Really beat up from chiseling out carpet tack - I was cursing the invention of P90 adhesive!! Shoulders and knees ache. But - it was a crazy switch four days.

Monday’s practice

Superjoints
3 rds of 5 goblet squats with 24kg kb
10 rds of 10 2-hand swings - 60 with 32kg, 40 with 40kg kb
10 getups - using 6 lb med ball
20 minutes of movement challenges
Hang - active to passive

Later in the day
3 rds of 90/90 and QL stretches

My shoulders were just too beat up to use even a light kb for getups. In addition I did SJ instead of Press Reset - I felt I needed more focus on individual joints.

I’m finding that without constant and specific attention - read SuperJoints - my shoulders deteriorate. In particular my right shoulder. MRI on that is this Friday.

As a consequence I’m thinking of doing more of Tim Anderson’s Press Reset in my movement challenges section. And not missing SuperJoint sessions.

This has worked to rehab my left shoulder. I tore different rotator cuff tendons in it, but didn’t undergo surgery and have pain-free movement in it now. The limitation is external rotation - there is no muscle to pull it.

The right shoulder is similar, but different. None the less I think the MRI is going to reveal the same sort of thing. The damage goes back decades to my rugby years and repair isn’t a good option. So the rehab will likely be similar.

The reality is - I will be doing SuperJoints until I’m too senile to care about movement and keeping pain-free. Hopefully that means the rest of my life - SuperJoints almost daily.

Tuesdays practice - similar to Monday

Superjoints
3 rds of 5 goblet squats with 24kg kb - built into SJ practice

10 rds of 10 1-hand swings - 60 with 32kg, 40 with 40kg kb

5 rds of 1/1 getups - using 6 lb med ball - with 5-4-3-2-2 strict pull-ups

3 rds of 3/3 or 6 - box stepups, plank push, side kick-thrus, side to side push-ups, spinal rocks, crab reaches, front passive to active hangs

90/90, QL stretches and stick dislocates done later in day.

Wednesday practice

Superjoints

3 rds of 5 goblet squats with 24kg kb - built into SJ practice

10 rds of 10 1-hand swings - 40 with 32kg, 20 with 36 kg (I accidentally picked it up and while swinging it thought ‘hey - this is working!! 40 feels light!! And then realized I had a 36 in my hand.), 40 with 40kg kb

5 rds of 1/1 getups - using 6 lb med ball - with 5-4-3-3-2 strict pull-ups

Did some brachiates and called it a day.

Thursday practice

Press reset - breathing, head nods & rotations, elbow rolls, windshield wipers, lego rocks and speed skaters - about a minute of each

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 tables

10 emom 10 2-hand swings - 40 with 40kg bell, 60 with 32kg bell

5 rds of 1/1 getups (12kg bell) and 5-4-4-3-2 pull-ups

3 rds of 6 or 3/3 spinal rocks, scorpion switches, basketball’suicides’, crab crawls & front lever attempts

I’m going to do SuperJoints as movement breaks throughout the day - all the first program and select movements from the strength/stretching section.

I do Super Joints, and Strength Flexibility Drills every morning, before the first training session. Do wonderfuls for my joints.

I do Super Joints, and Strength Flexibility Drills every morning, before the first training session. Do wonderfuls for my joints.
I’ve been going back and forth - Press Reset or like you, SuperJoints. I find it’s easier to get SuperJoints in at home - we are moving and boxed everywhere. SJ just takes less space. But - it is essential for me to do daily. If not my shoulders let me know!!

Friday practice

Press reset - breathing, head nods & rotations, elbow rolls, windshield wipers, lego rocks and speed skaters - about a minute of each

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 tables

Then press the ‘crazy switch’

2 minutes of 24kg kb snatches - 48 snatches.

My left arm snatches should all pass TSC judging - good lockout, arm straight and behind the ear. Right arm - not so much. I was locking them out, but to protect my shoulder the arm didn’t go back as far. Not sure what a judge would have made of them, but felt good to be able to snatch the 24 for relatively good cadence.

Rested a bit. Then I did 6 rds of 10 1-arm kb swings e30o30. Test pace with the 36. Went well - decent pop.

5 rds of 1/1 getups (12kg bell) and 5-5-4-3-2 pull-ups.

I’ll do SuperJoints later on as movement snacks. I cut today a bit short as I’m tired and had a short night.

Todays (Monday) practice

Press reset - 10 minutes warmup

Superset
5-3-2 deadlifts with 325 lbs
5-3-3 kb press with 16kg
5-5-5 chin-ups
100 rope turns

3 rds with 1-arm hangs, 40kg kbs 2-hand farmers walks

I’ll be doing several SuperJoints workouts as breaks throughout the day

Reflections on 7 months of practice

I’m going to be retiring at the end of the month. The gym I’ve been going to for 33 years is losing their most important staff member and has shut down the pool. Plus it is no longer convenient for me as I will be moving in the next week. And I’ll be spending 10 weeks in the marina area in Puerto Vallarta starting in early January.

All of which has got me to thinking and looking back at this log.

First - there has been no improvement in my deadlift. But considering the surgery interruption and my age maintaining my dl is a pretty good result. I have improved in the kb press, despite my shoulders. So that is good.

There has been some improvement in conditioning. I now ‘own’ the 36kg for swings and honestly could take a shot at the 40. But I’m being patient.

So that brings me to my most important conclusion - no surprise that I consider Pavel a knowledgeable, expert strength and conditioning coach. I intend to continue following either his programs and advice or those strongly influenced by him for strength and conditioning.

What I haven’t done - due to injury and surgery - is replicate Pavel Macek’s consistency with my two week blocs. And I’m not sure I will be able to. My wife and I plan on travelling a lot during retirement. Some in our recently purchased travel trailer. So there are large blocs where the deadlift and even swing progression is not feasible.

During our winter vacation I’m hoping to find a gym close that has barbell and kettlebell options. But if not - I have options. My fallback plan is doing bodyweight strength aerobics 2-3 times per week and 1-2 times per week do StrongFirst roadwork. Superjoints, walking and swimming are, of course, essential and never optional.

Another possibility for home and travel trailer is to get a 60 lb kettlebell to go with my 15-30-45 and do the rites of passage with pull-ups.

Of course - if the MRI I had reveals my shoulders can be repaired all this can change. I’m doubt they can be surgically repaired - too much damage too long ago. But we’ll see.

Today’s (Tuesday) practice

Press Reset

I was tired and stiff from painting after hours so I also did 3 series of Quick and the Dead 044 with a 16 kg kettlebell. Basically easy snatches. Felt great and my deadlifts went well - I may incorporate this into my practice. Early morning strength workouts can be tough for me. I’m at my strongest in the afternoon and can lose 5-10% in the early morning.

5-3-2 - deadlift with 335 lbs, side press with 16kg kb, parallel grip pause pull-ups & 100 rope turns as active rest.

Then hangs and crawls for 15 minutes. As always SuperJoints later today.

Back
Top Bottom