all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on Heart Rate and Maf

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Philskies

Level 3 Valued Member
Everywhere I go on the internet, I see questions about heart rate training. Questions like: What heart rate should I be at to stay aerobic? How do I calculate MAF for my particular activity? I, too, was very confused for a VERY long time because almost everyone is looking at the aerobic/glycolitic systems through the lens of heart rate and overall systemic metabolism, rather than local musclular metabolism. So what do I mean by this? I want to share some training examples to hopefully clarify what was once so confusing to me.

Suppose you were to do the following unlikely exercise: lifting a 1lb dumbbell (requiring only type 1 fibers) with your left arm while simultaneously lifting a 30lb dumbbell (requiring type 2 fibers) with your right arm. Let's say after a minute of this, your heart rate is 100 and your right arm is starting to give out. Are you training aerobically or glycolitically? The old me would have said aerobically because my heart rate is so low, but if we look at this through the lens of the muscle, we can tell that it has NOTHING to do with the heart rate, and everything to do with the local muscle. Answer: left arm is working aerobically, and right arm is working glycolitically.

Suppose you were to do the above dumbbell exercise while on stationary bike pedaling at a speed you can do all day. Now the legs muscles and left arm are working aerobically. If we increase the resistance on the bike such that you start feeling the legs burn in a few minutes, now your legs and right arm are working glycolitically, while the left arm is still aerobic.

Let's look at a rowing example which is much more realistic. Suppose you were to row at a fairly easy intensity at a medium cadence and your heart rate is 120. If you can do this all day, most likely all your muscles will be working aerobically. Let's say you were to start pulling much harder (requiring type 2 fibers) but at a much lower cadence such that your heart rate STAYS at 120. Because of the nature of rowing, your arms and back muscles start burning first after 5 minutes but your legs still feel like they can go all day. Are you aerobic or glycolitic? If we just look at heart rate using MAF, we think we're still aerobic. In actuality, your arms/back have gone glycolitic while your legs are still aerobic. In this example, we can now see what a silly statement "I'm rowing at my MAF heart rate to train aerobically" is!!!

We can also see how silly is it to try to use MAF across differing sports when it may not even work within the SAME sport like in the example above? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash MAF. It's definitely an easy starting point for beginners and mostly just for running, but I don't see it very applicable in other ways.

Consider power zones in cycling: By changing the cadence, we can change the energy system used by the legs without changing the power. There may be some other factors here like using different muscles at different cadences, or inertia perhaps. I've often seen the recommendation to increase cadence if the legs start to burn before the lungs give out.

After some more thought, this seems to apply to running also. If we maintain the same speed but the lower the cadence and increase the stride, more of the faster twitch muscles are used, whereas if we increase cadence and reduce the stride, the slower twitch muscles are used. In other words, during say an easy run, we can choose which fibers on the spectrum of slowest>slower>slow> by manipulating the cadence/stride without changing the speed. So maybe I should start varying the above to maximize training on the FULL specrum of slow fibers? I do have a habit of running the same routes at the same speed/cadence/stride on my easy runs.

Anyways, this is only my second post. I'm interested in hearing what ya'll think of my random shower thoughts! This forum rocks; I've learned so much here, so thanks!!

I think you are right, and this is a great explanation! I'm no professional physiology expert, but I've spent many hours thinking about this subject while riding my bike and studying it though many types of training. I've been a cyclist for 15+ years and have been strength training for 9 years. Years prior to that I did plenty of mainstream fitness exercise, running and various other things, but didn't give it much thought until I started getting more serious about cycling. Since cycling was where I first started learning about metabolism, that is the lens through which I view these hybrid discussions such as rowing, kettlebell training, and strength endurance training of various types.

I think you are right that it really hinges upon slow twitch vs. fast twitch muscle fiber. To truly stay aerobic, the effort has to stay below the threshold of the muscle fibers, slow to fast twitch ... And to do significant training there, you have to have enough strength and endurance in your slow twitch fiber to be able to do meaningful and sustained work there. To build that, you have to do a lot of that, staying mostly below that threshold and letting it build over time. There are no short cuts. That is the MAF method in a nutshell. This is how you build an aerobic base. If you're truly staying there, then HR can be meaningful in guiding your level of effort. But if you're not staying within this relatively low to moderate force production capability of slow twitch muscle fibers, then HR becomes less meaningful. It can still guide certain things, but not as accurately.

during say an easy run, we can choose which fibers on the spectrum of slowest>slower>slow> by manipulating the cadence/stride without changing the speed
On cadence... with cycling, the higher cadence for a given power output has more of a tendency to use slow-twitch fiber, because there is less force production with each pedal stroke. You might have been saying that, but I wanted to establish that to make sure we're speaking the same language. For running, I think the same is true. A faster foot turnover for a given speed would tend to be more aerobic or slow-twitch than a slower, plodding cadence while travelling the same speed. With the slower cadence, more force must be produced with each step, and that tends to require fast-twitch fibers. So in that way, the terminology can be counterintuitive --- slower pedaling or running tends to be more fast-twitch. Faster pedaling or running cadence tends to be more slow-twitch. Again, this would be for a given/same speed.

It can also be counterintuitive for triathletes or others who work to get faster at endurance sports. The objective of using slow-twitch fiber sounds like the opposite of what you want to do... and yet, it is the way to get faster, by building a base.

Hello @Philskies!

My ramble of thoughts....MAF is great as a starting point for targeting aerobic adaptations BUT it needs to be used as guide along with subjective feelings - RPE - and pace.

Data collection (HR thresholds, lactate, VO2 max etc.) is wonderful but I often think that us humans lack the most important aspect, IMHO, which is inner perception/ feelings / connection with self / RPE whilst moving.

At its simplest, I see Aerobic work as sustainable activity, whilst anaerobic work is unsustainable activity both intra and inter-session.

I think the human mind (including mine) has a desire to over complicate the simple :)

To build that, you have to do a lot of that, staying mostly below that threshold and letting it build over time. There are no short cuts. That is the MAF method in a nutshell. This is how you build an aerobic base.

Can you (or anyone) quantify what is changing as this aerobic base/capacity improves? For years - decades, actually - I ran, cycled, and swam for distance. Although those are the three activities of a triathlon, I never did a tri (except if you count one time where I did a team tri with two friends - I did the running leg because neither of them ran). My impression was always that, although there was some carryover, one had to build endurance in each sport by training in it specifically. My triathlon teammates were also my regular cycling companions, and their theory was that I was a better cyclist than they were due, at least in part, to the fact that I was also a runner. But swimming was its own thing - but I found kettlebell snatches helped my swimming, perhaps again because, as with legs in running and cycling, there were shoulders heavily involved in both.

Are we, e.g., changing muscle fibers in some way? Are we just simply improving circulation to the specific muscles used so that they get more oxygen with which to do their work but the fibers themselves are relatively unchanged?

-S-

To build that, you have to do a lot of that, staying mostly below that threshold and letting it build over time. There are no short cuts. That is the MAF method in a nutshell. This is how you build an aerobic base. If you're truly staying there, then HR can be meaningful in guiding your level of effort. But if you're not staying within this relatively low to moderate force production capability of slow twitch muscle fibers, then HR becomes less meaningful. It can still guide certain things, but not as accurately.
You can build an aerobic base without running slow MAF runs.
If you run in 5k tempo 95% of the energy is from the aerobic system.

Can you (or anyone) quantify what is changing as this aerobic base/capacity improves? For years - decades, actually - I ran, cycled, and swam for distance. Although those are the three activities of a triathlon, I never did a tri (except if you count one time where I did a team tri with two friends - I did the running leg because neither of them ran). My impression was always that, although there was some carryover, one had to build endurance in each sport by training in it specifically. My triathlon teammates were also my regular cycling companions, and their theory was that I was a better cyclist than they were due, at least in part, to the fact that I was also a runner. But swimming was its own thing - but I found kettlebell snatches helped my swimming, perhaps again because, as with legs in running and cycling, there were shoulders heavily involved in both.

Are we, e.g., changing muscle fibers in some way? Are we just simply improving circulation to the specific muscles used so that they get more oxygen with which to do their work but the fibers themselves are relatively unchanged?

-S-

I would say you're building the ability of the specific muscles that you want to do the work, to do that work. I'm a decent cyclist but a terrible runner. And swimming I just haven't build the skill itself.

So, yes, changing the ability of the muscle fibers to produce force in the desired motor patterns and sustain that effort. Circulation is part of that as well. The muscles are building more and better mitochondria to fuel the effort aerobically.

I'm not familiar (and therefore not disputing) the 95% figure there, but my first thought is that it would vary quite a bit by individual, as to how much of their effort is from the aerobic system when they run a 5k at tempo pace. I believe a non-fit person (or a "differently fit" person like myself - currently a cyclist and wieghtlifter, but not a runner) who goes out and runs a 5k is going to be quite glycolytic.

I think the right response here is, "Yes, but ..."

my first thought is that it would vary quite a bit by individual, as to how much of their effort is from the aerobic system when they run a 5k at tempo pace

Yes, I think this gets to the heart of the issue. The devil here is what constitutes "tempo" pace. Jack Daniels "Running Formula" is quite specific about it. When I was a runner, for my level - 5k best of 20 minutes and change - the prescription was 25 to 35 seconds per minute slower than my 5k race pace.

But one was expected to already have a solid aerobic base and one was rather _getting used to using_ it rather than _training_ it, in my admittedly non-scientific opinion. And the prescription was to do this no more than once a week, and Daniels recommended not going longer than 20 minutes, regardless of one's pace. (Since I could run a 5k in 20 minutes and change, I used to do 3 mi - just a bit shorter than 5k- tempo runs.) I set my lifetime 5k best at age 45, 20:10, almost exactly 6:30/mile pace.

Some people - and in this case, the bigger the aerobic base, the better - have been able to do things like, e.g., suffer an injury a few months out from a competition and then maintain their fitness on a greatly reduced volume of training but at a higher level of intensity, IOW, more tempo runs and less long, easy distance. But that's really only going to be effective for someone who is already quite fit aerobically and it won't work forever.

-S-

On cadence... with cycling, the higher cadence for a given power output has more of a tendency to use slow-twitch fiber, because there is less force production with each pedal stroke.
Well put about the cycling. That's what I was going for and you say it better about less force production with each pedal stroke.

So, yes, changing the ability of the muscle fibers to produce force in the desired motor patterns and sustain that effort. Circulation is part of that as well. The muscles are building more and better mitochondria to fuel the effort aerobically.
This exactly.

I think the right response here is, "Yes, but ..."

Yes, but you will plateau sooner, and your base (mitochondrial density and function) will never be as big or strong.
Yes, but you will never utilize the big fat storage tank you have to its full potential.
Yes, but what if I want to do ultra marathons?

@Philskies those are some great observations.

I think Anna nailed it here:
On cadence... with cycling, the higher cadence for a given power output has more of a tendency to use slow-twitch fiber, because there is less force production with each pedal stroke. You might have been saying that, but I wanted to establish that to make sure we're speaking the same language. For running, I think the same is true. A faster foot turnover for a given speed would tend to be more aerobic or slow-twitch than a slower, plodding cadence while travelling the same speed. With the slower cadence, more force must be produced with each step, and that tends to require fast-twitch fibers. So in that way, the terminology can be counterintuitive --- slower pedaling or running tends to be more fast-twitch. Faster pedaling or running cadence tends to be more slow-twitch. Again, this would be for a given/same speed.

It can also be counterintuitive for triathletes or others who work to get faster at endurance sports. The objective of using slow-twitch fiber sounds like the opposite of what you want to do... and yet, it is the way to get faster, by building a base.
Just like the gears on a bicycle require less force to push the faster you are going, it will take less force per stride to maintain a steady pace running a certain cadence, if that makes sense. I think it's just a matter of the biochemical adaptations in your slow twitch fibers that determines how long it takes for you to fatigue. By going at much easier/gentler paces, you give those muscles more exposure to the stimulus without exceeding their capacity to recover during the session.

One thing not mentioned in regard to running is the elasiticity of tendons. Runners will have more elastic tendons, developed from all the running/jogging. Tendons are non-contractile, meaning they do not themselves contract. They transmit force. They also store kinetic energy when stretched, and release that energy when the stretch is released. The short of it is that a stronger tendon can contribute more to force production, meaning that the muscles have to make up less of the total force at increased speeds.

Here is a short article that does a pretty good job at an entry level exploration of cadence...

Here is a short article that does a pretty good job at an entry level exploration of cadence...

Interesting article! I'm trying to wrap my head around this, though:

1655216874681.png

If they are burning more muscle glycogen, wouldn't that affect oxygen, HR, breathing rate, and lactate levels?? Or is it that they're burning more "muscle glycogen" specifically, and perhaps not any appreciable difference in glycogen overall?

Interesting article! I'm trying to wrap my head around this, though:

View attachment 17967

If they are burning more muscle glycogen, wouldn't that affect oxygen, HR, breathing rate, and lactate levels?? Or is it that they're burning more "muscle glycogen" specifically, and perhaps not any appreciable difference in glycogen overall?
Hey Anna…
What would you say, ’on average’ your cadence is? I know it depends a bit on terrain and and what we are looking at for training adaptations but in general mine hovers around 93-95

Can you (or anyone) quantify what is changing as this aerobic base/capacity improves?
I've been thinking about this the only way I know how. using my own experience (my running program which brought some success, and training up to the simple standard), and comparing it to my acquired knowledge (strong endurance).

I had an experience where I was running daily.
I had an A-Day and a B-Day.
I alternated those runs daily.
A-Day Means - running hard and further than last time.
B-Day Means - to take it easy and only run as far as is comfortable.

Using that criteria for about a month led me to run for over 10 miles. from city to city; across freeways and back home in about 30 days. at which point I promptly injured myself helping my brother move - slipping falling and spraining my ankle while helping carry something heavy backward downstairs. my short-term aerobic gains were fickle and back to square 1 after recovering for 6 weeks.

my strength journey was very different. it took me a good year to reach simple. and those gains were less fickle.

maybe the length of time on the calendar had something to do with the fickle nature of my running capacity.
or maybe the physiology of staging biochemical substrates is something that wears off faster.

my suspicion is that the actual adaptations of the aerobic base building have much more to do with the Mitochondria upregulation in both quantity and throughput, and the physiological preparatory staging of necessary biochemical substrates for fuel hand-off. increased stores, and more effective hand-off via upregulated enzymatic and biochemical functionality.

@Steve Freides
From my limited understanding what we are doing here is Aerobic Capacity training. Basically what happens is that our muscles (locomotive) improve in their ability to produce ATP via aerobic metabolism.
Increases in mitochondrial mass, capillary density, aerobic enzymes, and cardiac output.

(TFTUA pg 76…)
Based on my recollection of physiology (which is not up to date) these factors are absolutely correct. I recall reading a technical article back in the 80's which stated that aerobic capacity work resulted in increases in the capillary network leading to easier oxygen transmission throughout the musculature, we can't all be Secretariat but we can greatly improve our existing processes. The article also mentioned that they estimated that world-class athletes take nearly two years to fully develop their aerobic system to the point that it is not a limiting factor in higher intensity training. Certainly most of us are not world-class (at least speaking for myself) but the point remains that developing the aerobic system is important.

It might be antiquated thinking but I still believe that athletes need an aerobic base. It probably extends to all of us but that's just me.

For running I've had 180 bpm built in to my thinking.....for max efficiency of energy return. This comes from Romanov and pose running but also from others in barefoot/minimalism. It's not exact but about 180, depending on you, limb length etc.
It seems very high....in practice it is 90 bpm....and run on the backbeat so to speak....1, 2, , 3, 4....to 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.
Hip hop is often 90 bpm....so run at double pace. For 180 bpm, listen to alegrias, a flamenco dance ....bulieras is too fast at 200, solea too slow.
Anyway.....re cycling cadence....Romanov recommends a 180 cadence too for an efficient pedal....I don't cycle so no idea but Romanov has written about this for cycling.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom