all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What WTH effects have you experienced from S&S/Kettlebell training in general?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you, Vincent!

Yes, post a technique video, you will get lots of good input I'm sure.

I just had the ironic situation of showing people up carrying beer upstairs happen to me, just like that parable! LOL I was at a wedding reception on Saturday for some friends and they needed help carrying tubs of beer cans from the basement to the deck (2 flights of stairs) Big muscle bound lifter dude, struggled and grunted sweating by the end. Then 2 I'm assuming non lifter guys each taking one side of another tub. Then there is me who took the 3rd tub up the stairs with no issues. We all get upstairs and they are talking about how heavy the tubs were.......I just went downstairs and grabbed the last tub real quick. Dropped that off and walked away as they looked at me like WTH. haha

Went to the park the other day and attempted a "tactical chin" on a steering wheel chin up
bar pull up bar gizmo.

I flew off the ground so fast I actually banged my head on it and was going to blame Pavel Tsatsouline
for any resulting concussion.

I would have yelled "WTH!" but was too woozy.

I haven't squatted for around 2 to 3 years since I injured my back. Last week I was able to squat 90% of my pre injury max with no pain and I think I could've done more if I had psyched myself up for it.

A little while back we were clearing out odd rolls of paper off the floor - stuff we'd gotten in for specific jobs and never used all of it up. Rolled one of them, probably 325 -350lbs, off the dock and for some reason had it in my head to put it in the dumpster instead of waiting a week for the recycling truck.

Pushed that thing up and into the dumpster using a piece of plywood for a ramp, maybe 6 ft long. A serious incline to start with and the sheet was flexing quite a bit, the last stretch was pretty much straight up and down. I had to push, brace with one knee, that foot anchored to the board, while my back leg/foot was off the board and braced on the blacktop. The roll was big enough it didn't even settle into the dumpster but hung up on the cross brace when it finally fell off the ramp.

My whole core felt like it was carved out of wood, especially my posterior chain. I came very close to puking and took about 30 minutes before I felt normal again. Looking at that roll stuck on top of the dumpster I felt pretty studley. I don't think I could have done that 20 years ago.

Pushed my van up the driveway (incline) to get it positioned for a battery jump. Piece of cake. Probably would've been run over before S&S.

I tried to do that when I was seven, and the family van parking break went out. Naturally, I quit lol.

Hard style kettlebell training has had at least one WTH on my training to include a 202.5 lbs power clean last year. In general I've noticed more oomph behind hip hinging movements with the barbell like deadlifts and power cleans.

I feel great, I'm stronger than ever. I had bad lowerback before, pain went away years ago.
If I want I can take 5-10 jogs and enter 10k race. I'm big guy, so I don't win that competion. :)

Improved health, strenght and conditioning. I don't need more wtf effects. :)

Ive had quite a few wth moments lately. Started with kettlebells last year off and on, really just learning the movements but not really training. About 6 months ago started training more regularly with S&S. Got to simple pretty quickly and for the last few months have been messing around with other KB movements and have played with a barbell a little bit. My first big WTH moment was my first day back at the barbell, about a month after hitting simple I started at 135 for a set of both back squats and dead lifts, both of which felt quite easy. 3 sets later I was doing 315x6 on both lifts, probably had 3 or 4 more deadlifts in the tank and at least 2 more squats. I had not trained these lifts on a barbell in 3 years and hadn't attempted loads like that since high school football ( 10 years ago)

I'm a 49-year-old survivor of a heart attack that left me dead for about five minutes. Since then, I've earned a purple belt in BJJ and taken up strength training. Since November, I've been training kettle bells exclusively off the mat. Kettlebells and a prowler sled are the only things that can maintain conditioning sufficient for grappling.

Hello,

This evening, we received our Japanese futon, because we soon move up. It is not really heavy, 25kg. However, I carry it as if it was nothing or almost nothing. I think I will be pretty happy when I will have to move heavy stuff and furnitures from the ground to stairs !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm a 49-year-old survivor of a heart attack that left me dead for about five minutes. Since then, I've earned a purple belt in BJJ and taken up strength training. Since November, I've been training kettle bells exclusively off the mat. Kettlebells and a prowler sled are the only things that can maintain conditioning sufficient for grappling.

Wow. Good work man!

My neighbor coordinated a 5k for his rotary club and I figured, let's do this, all because of everything I'd read and learned about the WTH effect. I suppose it was my specific intent to test the effect, so without running a single mile I "prepared" for the race by doing my usual training of swinging, snatching, pressing, deadlifting, cleaning, etc. I wanted to place in my age group—40-49—and came in second. I wanted to place in the top 30 overall and came in 19th. I wanted to run it in 30 minutes or less and timed 28:28. The recovery wasn't as painless as the run, but I was very happy to experience the WTH effect firsthand, and to be able to share it with my students, especially as I was never the fastest when I was younger, and this run felt powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can stand up straight and pick things up without fear. I started with kettlebells almost a year ago before my son was born. I had one objective: being able to play with my son. Mission accomplished and then some.

Hello,

I am now almost a professional furniture mover ! Even when the grip is not good (no handle or so for instance), lifting - pulling - pressing OVH without neither troubles nor pain afterwards.

Farmer carries are also better...to get back to home after buying food :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I sometimes have to carry a fair amount of gear around, and because I had a couple of rehearsals and performances earlier this week, I was shlepping my double bass, a guitar, and an amplifier around. I have found, in the past, that sometimes the distance between my car and the "gig" is longer than I'd like and I get tired, but since I started, a few months ago, swinging a kettlebell a few days a week, I've noticed that my stamina for my awkward loaded carries has markedly improved, a good thing!

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom