all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yaroslav

Level 1 Valued Member
Comrades,

would you kindly share your thoughts about the following training template.

I really like the idea of mixing training modalities and implements, especially calisthenics and kettlebells. Even more I like it after reading "Calisthenics for iron domination" by Aleks Salkin. So, below there's a little description and the program itself. Please comment.

Goals: strength, hypertrophy and skill in chosen kettlebell and bodyweight lifts.

One takes a day of rest between sessions 1 and 2. B1-B2 and the like are performed in supersets. D1-D2 are calisthenics basics for accessory arm/upper body work.

Does it seem good? Which corrections, improvements could you suggest?
Thank you in advance.

SESSION 1
A. KB TGU — 1-3 rounds x 1 rep each side;

B1. Double KB C&P — 3 ladders x 1-5 rungs;
B2. Double KB FSQ — 3 ladders x 1-5 rungs;

C. KB Bent Press Practice — 3-5 rounds x 1-3 reps each side;

D1. Chin-ups — 3 rounds x submax reps;
D2. Dips — 3 rounds x submax reps;

E. KB Swing — 5-10 rounds x 10-20 reps.

SESSION 2
A. KB TGU — 1-3 rounds x 1 rep each side;

B1. Full ROM HSPU — 3 ladders x 1-5 rungs;
B2. Pistol — 3 ladders x 1-5 rungs;

C1. OAPU Practice — 3-5 rounds x 1-3 reps each side;
C2. KB SLDL — 3-5 rounds x 1-3 reps each side;

D1. Hindu Push-up — 3 rounds x submax reps;
D2. Horizontal Row — 3 rounds x submax reps;

E. KB Swing — 5-10 rounds x 10-20 reps.

I've done a mixed workout where I use kettlebells and calsthenics for years. It just sort of evolved that way by using one to balance the other. So a after I do a push I follow it with a pulling movement. My program has been in a state of evolution for years and I've made steady gains in strength by doing it like that.

I do front squats with a C&P on each rep for efficiency more than anything as it allows me to do it all in less time.

I think a program like that would work but as you get stronger and start using heavier weights it could be a bit taxing on the CNS, so not going 100 % on all the lifts all the time could be a good idea. So if you are doing heavy double C&P's and front squats going all out on the bent press immediately after it might not be the best idea to do every workout. I'd be tempted to do the bent press before the front squats and C&P's when you are a bit fresher as it's a very technical lift that's better to do when you are fresh.

The program seems complex to me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, and have you considered a simpler method of accomplishing it?

-S-

I agree with the earlier posters.

I would put the movements that either require most technicality, are specifically trained as a new movement, or that require more power opposed to a grind, as early as possible in the sequence. I'd start with the swings and then have the practise movements. Then the heavy grinding. I also agree, for my tastes the program has too many movements for a single session.

I'd personally go with something like this:

Session 1:
Swings, 20-40 * 5-10
Bent Press Practice, 5 * 3-5
Double KB FS, 5 * 8-10
KB C&P, 5 * 5

Tarzan, Antti, looks like I've overcomplicated the template adding that bent press/one-arm push-up practice in the middle of the session. I'd consider doing them in a very low rep range after the TGU's (maybe only from time to time) or even remove them for a while. Those lifts are less important for me at the moment.

Steve, as you can see, the point C of each workout is restructured/removed. It's a bit less complex now. Anyway, I want to add some strength, skill and muscle with double kettlebells and "bodyweight powerlifts" ladders, complementing it with calisthenics basics for local strength endurance, joint and a little area emphasis work. Along with my kettlebell practice, I need to keep my dips over 20, push-ups over 50 and pull-ups over 15 in order to pass a physical preparedness test from time to time.

Best regards,

Last edited:
what do you wanna get out of the program? there are ways to further streamline it so you don't spread yourself out too much

Mark, with this program I'm hoping to take my four lifts of choice (double KB C&P and FSQ, full ROM HSPU and Pistol Squat, which are roughy similar lifts, although in different modalities) from 5-8 RM to at least 8-10 RM in about 6 weeks. In conjunction with some targeted calisthenics I'm expecting a slight upper body/arm hypertrophy. These accessory calisthenics exercises themselves are intended to be done at a PPT.

Along with my kettlebell practice, I need to keep my dips over 20, push-ups over 50 and pull-ups over 15 in order to pass a physical preparedness test from time to time.
Another approach is to keep your PPT numbers decent but not high, then ramp up with a change of training emphasis as each test day approaches.

-S-

what size bells are you gonna use? and how much do you weigh?

you can improve the number of reps on your c and p with HSPUs depending on the data from my questions

Mark, I've got double 24 kg and weigh about 74-76 kg at the moment.

Steve, for me cycling maintenance and peaking for the PPT along with my core training seems to be even more difficult to plan, thus I've decided to keep it as simple as accessory work...

Ok here's what I may suggest

You can keep your finisher on day 1 as is..

Based on what I have done before and what I witnessed earlier today, combining OAPU and bent presses helps unlock a oaolpu so you might wanna try a circuit like this

A1 bent press
A2 1LDL
A3 OAP

Can you train more than twice a week?

That circuit is very interesting because of its multidimensional nature and single-limb exercise choice! And yes, I'm able to tolerate more sessions, for example that volume of RoP with a 24 kg and 1-2 light variety days felt heavy for me, however I could follow it without wearing myself out so much.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom