all posts post new thread
There's also the "next step" regime which would offer the most recovery time.
I'd also throw in some near daily TGUs during your class warm up if practical (as recommended) as I personally need to practice get-ups frequently.
I totally forgot about the next step. I.e train like I am tapering for a competition which is laid out in the PDF.
Thank you for the reminder. That may do the treat while I practice bjj daily

I'm currently working on a different program, but I'm thinking about the double C&J program from this book after completing my current program. My question pertains to the deload week. For a single KB, men are supposed to drop by 8kg. Does this mean that men should deload with KBs that are each 8kg lighter than the training weight? Put another way, should men deload with a total 16kg weight reduction in the double C&J deload week?

I'm currently working on a different program, but I'm thinking about the double C&J program from this book after completing my current program. My question pertains to the deload week. For a single KB, men are supposed to drop by 8kg. Does this mean that men should deload with KBs that are each 8kg lighter than the training weight? Put another way, should men deload with a total 16kg weight reduction in the double C&J deload week?
As I am not the author, I can only guess, but I would think that is correct. Pavel has always promoted that he believes in big jumps in kettlebells and that for men the bells you would need are 16, 24, and 32kg. For him, "one bell size" appears to always reference these numbers so I would think your assumption is correct.

Yep.

I've been running the program from the ground up since mid December. Occasionally checking in with an instructor about my technique. This is my first time seriously doing hardstyle training after doing kettlebell sport for years.

I feel good about it. Getting back to BJJ and Judo sometime soon, COVID situation pending... I'm just treating the days between as variety days in the meantime.

I also took the chance and asked about the high average HR and rest, which came up a couple of times.
Bauer: I have a question regarding the talk test on the single LCCJ plan: When reaching the final step of 3 LCCJs in 30 seconds there will be very little rest. How is this in line with the “long rests” philosophy? And what if it results in a very high average HR?

Pavel: If you can pass the talk test, your HR will not redline (you will be way above MAF but MAF is not the goal). You might not reach step 3 and it is OK. (…) and the “long rests” do not apply here; they are for a very different method of glycolytic power repeats.

Mentioning the article on this plan, I noticed a new detail in the protocol. It said that, when you reach 30 minutes with a given rep scheme, you should stay there for two weeks before adding another clean or jerk, where the program in the PDF didn't require that added two weeks. Is that from a newer version of the program than the one I have? I bought my copy on Feb 12, 2021.

Last edited:
Mentioning the article on this plan, I noticed a new detail in the protocol. It said that, when you reach 30 minutes with a given rep scheme, you should stay there for two weeks before adding another clean or jerk, where the program in the PDF didn't require that added two weeks. Is that from a newer version of the program than the one I have? I bought my copy on Feb 12, 2021.
Good spot!
I'd skim read the programme detail and hadn't noticed that.
Probably more important if you're nearer your 12RM.
If you then factor in a deload you're effectively breaking progress into four week blocks.
At 6RM you're less likely to race through to 30 sets the next session, but it is possible.

2021 Single 28 kg KB-SF (BJJ).PNG
This is my training - logged August through November last year.
The first two steps were successive practices whereas adding the final clean and final jerk each took 3 to 4 practices (excluding deloads).
Two weeks stabilisation would have extended Plan A from 7 weeks to 13 weeks - if moved straight from plateau into Plan B.

@Pete L , thanks for sharing these details. I hit a wall in my last program, so I decided to start this program a bit earlier than originally intended. I had no problem making 30 minutes in my first session. My intention is to follow the progression plan outlined in the PDF, though, like you did in your illustrated cycle.

Good point!

I have version 3 and it says.
When you make it to 30min—30 sets per arm—the next training day add a second clean to each set (C+J+C). When you make it to 30min with an extra clean, next training day add a second jerk (C+J+C+J).
Unfortunately the file is only send via mail and not downloadable below the video at BJJ Fanatics, so I guess we'd have to ask them if there is a new PDF available?

Anyone seeing any hypertrophy with this program? Clearly it doesn't prioritize gaining mass, but Pavel talks about it some hypertrophy in the article. The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst (link for those that haven't seen the article, which gives you Plan A of the "Kettlebells Strongfirst" program.)

Curious if those that followed Plan A (or through Plan B) put on any mass. Thanks.

Anyone seeing any hypertrophy with this program? Clearly it doesn't prioritize gaining mass, but Pavel talks about it some hypertrophy in the article. The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst (link for those that haven't seen the article, which gives you Plan A of the "Kettlebells Strongfirst" program.)

Curious if those that followed Plan A (or through Plan B) put on any mass. Thanks.
I gained 3 kg of lean body mass over about 17 weeks of Plan A and B.

I am not sure how to choose the correct bell.

There are two bells which are between 6 and 12 RM. To those who completed one of the plans (Jerk, A+B), how did you select your bell and why?

I am not sure how to choose the correct bell.

There are two bells which are between 6 and 12 RM. To those who completed one of the plans (Jerk, A+B), how did you select your bell and why?
I wish I had started with a higher RM bell. Progressing with a 28kg was almost undoable. Now I regressed to a 24kg and I feel I'm finally reaping the benefits of the protocol.

Back
Top Bottom