all posts post new thread
How does this program compare with alternating s&s and q&d in the specified blocks?
There is an A+A version of S&S in the manual + you get the c&j program... the c&j program could be alternated w/q&d using the snatch or vpp

I can't handle a ton of volume on snatches due to shoulder stuff, but I run the swing program in the manual then -> s&s then-> q&d 033 swings

How does this program compare with alternating s&s and q&d in the specified blocks?
Plan A took me 8 weeks and I'm now 5 weeks through Plan B ("LCCJ" section).
Plan A feels more A+A whereas Plan B is denser and so may be more hypertrophic.
So, for me, more like alternating blocks of A+A and Q&D.
I'm about to switch up to doubles, but otherwise the two plans can be run ad infinitum.

What a great programme..!

I had to learn the LCCJ before I started and I managed a shaky 32 kg - knowing that I wouldn't make 6 reps.
So I bought a single 28 kg and ran Plan A and B back to back over 15 weeks, concluding on Monday.
Today I retested and achieved the following;
Single LCCJ;
- 32 kg 6 easy reps
- 36 kg 2 reps
Double LCCJ
- 28 kg + 24 kg 6 easy reps
- 32 kg + 28 kg 1 ugly rep

What a great programme..!

I had to learn the LCCJ before I started and I managed a shaky 32 kg - knowing that I wouldn't make 6 reps.
So I bought a single 28 kg and ran Plan A and B back to back over 15 weeks, concluding on Monday.
Today I retested and achieved the following;
Single LCCJ;
- 32 kg 6 easy reps
- 36 kg 2 reps
Double LCCJ
- 28 kg + 24 kg 6 easy reps
- 32 kg + 28 kg 1 ugly rep

Since the c&j programs are 2 days a week and are designed to be run along with bjj practice, is anyone here running 3 or 4 days a week if they aren’t bjj practitioners ?

Maybe some of you are running 2 days of the c&j program alongside a day of 2 of q&d per week or something?

Basically im interested in running the double c&j program over the winter but would prefer more than 2 days a week , just picking everyone’s brains on ideas

Since the c&j programs are 2 days a week and are designed to be run along with bjj practice, is anyone here running 3 or 4 days a week if they aren’t bjj practitioners ?

Maybe some of you are running 2 days of the c&j program alongside a day of 2 of q&d per week or something?

Basically im interested in running the double c&j program over the winter but would prefer more than 2 days a week , just picking everyone’s brains on ideas

I'd run an easy strength/GTG/S and S practice on other days

I'd run an easy strength/GTG/S and S practice on other days
Ty sir, i always appreciate your insights. I am a big fan of jerks, thought about running rmf but those 90% rep max days can be brutal. Always like hector g’s berserk series but ive ran the whole program multiple times already. Berserk is by far my favorite program so far.

I did some TGU on other days.
ROTK has a three day schedule of 2x LCCJ and 1x press (Viking I think).
Perhaps if you have sufficient recovery available you could run 3x heavy days or make the third day light KB instead.

On the BJJFanatics website you currently get a 45% discount with the code CHRISTMAS2021.

If you want to know more about the program, I will keep a log here.

A question to those running the C&J plan A:
At what stage do you find your progress stall? In my case it's just after adding the second clean (CJC) - I'm unable to pull 30 mins (28kg) unless it's a deload week (24kg).
Do you think I should move on to Plan B when I stagnate for 2 weeks, as per the book, or maybe I should improve my aerobic base so I'm able to absorb more workload from Plan A?

At what stage do you find your progress stall? In my case it's just after adding the second clean (CJC) - I'm unable to pull 30 mins (28kg) unless it's a deload week (24kg).
Do you think I should move on to Plan B when I stagnate for 2 weeks, as per the book, or maybe I should improve my aerobic base so I'm able to absorb more workload from Plan A?
I found going c•j•c•j to be my stall point w/28s... I would hit around 22ish min mark and was toast

I would follow the plan and switch to plan B as it looks like an A+A type plan that is designed to help your aerobic base just like you need. I could be wrong, but it appears to be the reason for why it was designed to switch when you stagnate on plan A.

I would recommend switching to Plan B and focusing on each part of the movement. It will definitely translate to progress in the LCCJ when you revert to Plan A.

I got up to 30 sets of 3x LCCJ with 28 kg before switching to Plan B. Sets were lasting around 16 to 17 seconds.

For C+J+C+J+C I was seriously sucking some nasal wind. But keeping calm and focusing on the nasal breathing I found I was ready to go each set and hit 60 sets.
After a few weeks into the programme I really noticed my perception of effort was high around 12 to 15 minutes and then a level of serenity kicked in and the last sets were with a second wind, so to speak.

I'm about to start a new cycle with 28 and 24 kg and I'm definitely looking forward to the longer rest for doubles.

Hello strongfirst community, i started the program today and plan to do it the whole next year. Iam 35 and my BW is 75. Today i did 40mins Emom 5 swings with the 40 kg bell. Works fine so far. On rest days i plan roadwork for 60 mins 3 times a week.

My Queation is, tgat i want to add pull ups and strengthbtraining to the program since iam no longer in a bjj class. What do you recommend?

Hello strongfirst community, i started the program today and plan to do it the whole next year. Iam 35 and my BW is 75. Today i did 40mins Emom 5 swings with the 40 kg bell. Works fine so far. On rest days i plan roadwork for 60 mins 3 times a week.

My Queation is, tgat i want to add pull ups and strengthbtraining to the program since iam no longer in a bjj class. What do you recommend?
Advanced standard right away :D

Monday is your light day, so you might add some strength work after your swing or GU session. I would not do it on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (well maybe some easy reps after your heavy session).

Maybe alternate your TGUs with pullups?

Or train your swings and GUs in the morning and do an autoregulated 15min session in the afternoon (doing 1/3 to 1/2 of your max reps per set).

Or use GTG, based on recovery and energy. That might even work best.

Advanced standard right away :D

Monday is your light day, so you might add some strength work after your swing or GU session. I would not do it on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (well maybe some easy reps after your heavy session).

Maybe alternate your TGUs with pullups?

Or train your swings and GUs in the morning and do an autoregulated 15min session in the afternoon (doing 1/3 to 1/2 of your max reps per set).

Or use GTG, based on recovery and energy. That might even work best.
Sounds good, i planned to do some easy strength in the 80 %range on off days, for pull ups i will train by feel, just a few sets of half max reps til it gets too easy then i will add a rep and so on...

Sounds good, i planned to do some easy strength in the 80 %range on off days, for pull ups i will train by feel, just a few sets of half max reps til it gets too easy then i will add a rep and so on...
If I remember correctly, your recovery is off the charts. When you’re not doing MMA or BJJ due to the pandemic, you could probably add a lot of additional aerobic work in the way of intervals. One of the best books I read in 2021 was Ultimate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson, which gives you a TON of things you can add in addition to strength work and road work.

Hi all,
Re bumping this thread with a question for the Bjj guys;
I have an opportunity to train daily in bjj for the next 12-14weeks(covid withstanding) which will reduce to 3-4 hrs in late April May due to arrival of new born.
I’m caught between programmes 2 day long cycle and 3 day swing and get ups trying to figure out which will be more gentle to the body while trying to do 7hrs plus of Matt time a week
My ideas were swing and get up heavy light twice a week instead of 3 or clean and jerk twice a week and reduce my 6-12 rep max(24kilo) to 16kilo. I have a kettlebell kings adjustable so I can micro load.
My stats are 35 - 6ft 84kilo, have complete simple untimed. Most important goals atm are retain strength improve mobility
I know this topic has been done to death, just said I’d throw it out there again to stop my head rattling around.
Thanks in advance

Hi all,
Re bumping this thread with a question for the Bjj guys;
I have an opportunity to train daily in bjj for the next 12-14weeks(covid withstanding) which will reduce to 3-4 hrs in late April May due to arrival of new born.
I’m caught between programmes 2 day long cycle and 3 day swing and get ups trying to figure out which will be more gentle to the body while trying to do 7hrs plus of Matt time a week
My ideas were swing and get up heavy light twice a week instead of 3 or clean and jerk twice a week and reduce my 6-12 rep max(24kilo) to 16kilo. I have a kettlebell kings adjustable so I can micro load.
My stats are 35 - 6ft 84kilo, have complete simple untimed. Most important goals atm are retain strength improve mobility
I know this topic has been done to death, just said I’d throw it out there again to stop my head rattling around.
Thanks in advance
There's also the "next step" regime which would offer the most recovery time.
I'd also throw in some near daily TGUs during your class warm up if practical (as recommended) as I personally need to practice get-ups frequently.

Back
Top Bottom