all posts post new thread

Nutrition Nutrition approach?

I always include nutrition coaching with my clients.

Here is my process: (TL/DR, basically its just flexible dieting /IIFYM)

Step 1: Identify a minimum protein target and start tracking food on Cronometer. The minimum protein target is usually right around 1g protein/lb of bodyweight because it's easy, but 2g/kg is sufficient for those who want to be more precise. If the client is extremely obese the target is more like 1g per lb of their goal bodyweight. We don't worry about setting a calorie target until the protein target is being met at least 80% of the time over the course of a couple weeks.

Step 2: Set a calorie target. Now that they have tracked their food for a couple of weeks, we should be able to look at the app to get an idea of what their maintenance calories are. If the client wants to lose fat, we set the calorie target just a couple hundred below maintenance. For the weight gain client, I prefer at least a 500 cal surplus. We stick with these numbers for a couple of weeks and if the number on the scale isn't moving in the desired direction we adjust accordingly. Step 1 and 2 get most people to their goals.

Step 3 is optional for the real keeners. Once protein and calorie targets are being met consistently, we try to optimize micronutrients. One of my favourite things about Cronometer is that it tracks micros, so we can see where there are gaps and fill them in accordingly. magnesium, K, manganese, and E are some of the most common ones I see. They can either fill in these gaps by introducing a food that contains them, or take a supplement, I don't care.

This approach stays agnostic to peoples dogmatic dietary preferences. Doesn't matter if you are a keto, vegan, omad, or carnivore zealot. Just hit the damn targets and you will succeed.

As far as my own personal philosophy on nutrition, it would be the above mentioned flexible dieting framework first and foremost, but following something like the Weston A Price recommendations as far as the food choices go. I definitely lean towards that animal based, whole foods, etc side of things, but I also agree with @Dann , if someone offers you cake, eat the damn cake. This is why I love the IIFYM approach.

Edit: I want to add that I acknowledge that nutrition tracking is annoying and tedious. I do not expect anyone to do it forever, but doing it for 3-6 months works wonders. After that I recommend people just do it fo a month once or twice a year as a "recalibration".

nutrition is pretty simple. For performance eat enough protein. .8-1.5g/lb bodyweight.

Eat a variety of fruits veggies and lean proteins as your main source of calories. Enjoy some cake now and again.

If you are curious if a nutrition book is worth a read, check out red pen reviews and see if it is worth your attention. Lot of people make a lot of money off nutrition FUD.

I've had success with paleo, keto, and calorie counting in the past. I've been carnivore for over a year now. I've never been more muscular, leaner, or felt better. I'm always satisfied and never hungry. I don't see myself changing this way of eating.

Anthony Chaffee and Ken Berry are great resources for info if anyone is interested.
Thanks! Are you doing strict carnivore, beef and salt?

Thanks! Are you doing strict carnivore, beef and salt?
No I'm not that strict. I'm mainly eating beef, butter, bacon and eggs with beef making up 90% of my calories. I do eat fish and pork occasionally too if it's a good deal.

I only use salt on most beef but I'm lazy and use pre-made spices or rubs on cuts I throw on the smoker. Brisket doesn't taste right to me without lots of pepper and garlic too.

I work rotating shifts so I drink coffee. Black, but drink 3-4 cups a day. And I enjoy a couple of beers once a week but I'm not trying to lose more weight.

I've had success with paleo, keto, and calorie counting in the past. I've been carnivore for over a year now. I've never been more muscular, leaner, or felt better. I'm always satisfied and never hungry. I don't see myself changing this way of eating.

Anthony Chaffee and Ken Berry are great resources for info if anyone is interested.
I was full carnivore for a while. The. I added fruits and potatoes. Did you experience any electrolyte imbalances? After months of zero carbs I started getting dizzy during my morning workouts and having brain fog throughout the day. My guess is electrolyte imbalance is what caused it. Majority of my meals are still steak and eggs but I cycle in carbs now too.

I keep it simple. I only eat home made stuff, about 95% of the time.

Meat prepped at home, bread baked at home, fruits, veggies, eggs, legumes, nuts. I avoid sugar except on very rare occasions, like birthdays and when I have baklavas nearby. I have milk with my coffee and the occasional home baked cookie. I also have cheese when we make home made pizza.

Eating like this I never worry about what's in my food since we're cooking almost everything at home.

Mostly I eat only 1 good snack that has protein and one meal a day, sometimes 2 meals. Never 3.

I was full carnivore for a while. The. I added fruits and potatoes. Did you experience any electrolyte imbalances? After months of zero carbs I started getting dizzy during my morning workouts and having brain fog throughout the day. My guess is electrolyte imbalance is what caused it. Majority of my meals are still steak and eggs but I cycle in carbs now too.
I haven't experienced dizziness or brain fog. I lightly salt my water throughout the day and occasionally splurge for LMNT. If I don't I sometimes wake up with bad cramps in my calves. Limping to the kitchen for a glass of salty water fixes it.

I am an opportunistic eater. For example, when the hotel I’m staying in includes a free buffet breakfast that includes bacon and eggs and pancakes, even though I generally follow a Warrior Diet approach to eating, I have breakfast with lots of bacon and eggs and pancakes for dessert. As long as I don’t do it every day, I’m fine. And I like being flexible enough to do things like this and then to stop doing them.

-S-

I feel better adopting this approach as well… I have higher energy and a lighter feeling when my system has a longer period without food going in. Sleep is also better.

I have, however, recently tried to up my protein intake to meet the RDI many suggest - 2 grams per kilogram of bodyweight, combined with good quality vegetable/fruit. I am struggling to get the 160 grams of protein in during my preferred eating window. It feels like a lot and I feel heavy/full a lot of the time.

I probably just need to focus on finding foods with higher protein density but I’d welcome any advice or fixes other people have found.
When I was into bodybuilding I struggled to get enough protein. I do thing it makes a difference though. Supplements can help but eventually I became lactose intolerant so the Whey Protein just went down the toilet. They make Beef and Egg supplement powders as well. Eating a tun of eggs is a good idea.

When I was into bodybuilding I struggled to get enough protein. I do thing it makes a difference though. Supplements can help but eventually I became lactose intolerant so the Whey Protein just went down the toilet. They make Beef and Egg supplement powders as well. Eating a tun of eggs is a good idea.
I used to put 8 whole eggs in my protein shake concoction. 3 scoops of whey, milk, a cup of vanilla ice cream. ROFL I don't know for sure but must've been about 2000 calories. Lol Never did get sick from the raw eggs afaik.

I used to put 8 whole eggs in my protein shake concoction. 3 scoops of whey, milk, a cup of vanilla ice cream. ROFL I don't know for sure but must've been about 2000 calories. Lol Never did get sick from the raw eggs afaik.
Yes always a few raw eggs in every shake. Never made me sick either.

Interesting podcast, Joe Rogan #2060 with Gary Brecka, the guy credited with getting Dana White squared away.
White is 53 and had a projected mortality age of 63 prior to change of diet, methylated glycine and methylated multi vitamins/minerals, red light therapy, etc. Looks like Joe is fixin to buy a $120K red light therapy bed, get the gene and blood testing , and post his before and after numbers. The gene testing is $599.

Interesting podcast, Joe Rogan #2060 with Gary Brecka, the guy credited with getting Dana White squared away.
White is 53 and had a projected mortality age of 63 prior to change of diet, methylated glycine and methylated multi vitamins/minerals, red light therapy, etc. Looks like Joe is fixin to buy a $120K red light therapy bed, get the gene and blood testing , and post his before and after numbers. The gene testing is $599.

I want to believe in the gene testing but my gut tells me it might be a scam. Kinda like Herbalife they get you to buy their powders but also help you change your diet and exercise but they say it’s their products getting the results. How do we know that just putting Dana white on a keto diet and cutting processed foods and alcohol is what turned him around. And the methylated vitamins are just a money grab that do nothing more than other vitamins.

I want to believe in the gene testing but my gut tells me it might be a scam. Kinda like Herbalife they get you to buy their powders but also help you change your diet and exercise but they say it’s their products getting the results. How do we know that just putting Dana white on a keto diet and cutting processed foods and alcohol is what turned him around. And the methylated vitamins are just a money grab that do nothing more than other vitamins.
Will be Intersting to see what happens with Rogan, since he's currently not walking around with one foot in the grave.
Triglycerides of 800 ? Damn.

If you’re healthy then I don’t believe fixating on a way of eating is necessary or even desirable. Just eliminate the foods that don’t work for you - there’s alway some stuff you’re better off not eating if for no other reason than it means you can eat more of the other stuff that doesn’t cause you side effects/symptoms. If you’re unhealthy, a ketogenic diet is definitely worth considering as more and more research emerges demonstrating the benefits of ketosis such as for those with obesity-related, autoimmune or neurological conditions

I felt like this for a while, still do sometimes, what helps me is ADDING carbs!!!
Since ive upped my carbs to 200-220 a day i feel much better.
Even before i was getting 150g a day but obviously just wasn't enough for me.
Not gained any weight since doing so aslong as my overall calories stay the same im all good

Back
Top Bottom