all posts post new thread

Nutrition Nutrition approach?

If you’re healthy then I don’t believe fixating on a way of eating is necessary or even desirable. Just eliminate the foods that don’t work for you - there’s alway some stuff you’re better off not eating if for no other reason than it means you can eat more of the other stuff that doesn’t cause you side effects/symptoms. If you’re unhealthy, a ketogenic diet is definitely worth considering as more and more research emerges demonstrating the benefits of ketosis such as for those with obesity-related, autoimmune or neurological conditions
Pretty much how I feel. I wasn’t healthy for years and had many autoimmune symptoms. To me carnivore was a therapeutic reset. Then I experimented and added back things that I could. I feel pretty damn good still and my autoimmune issues haven’t come back in almost 3 years. But I am pretty anal still about what I eat. All organic “real foods” with steak as my main anchor.

It's the same meal of ground beef cheese and yogurt. And occasionally eggs.
Hey Adachi - I copied this comment from another thread .............. is that the majority of what you eat - Mince and Cheese and yoghurt and eggs ? - not criticising just curious - I would not be disciplined enough to eat the same stuff every day.

I find it incredibly difficult to eat 180 grams of protein a day without resorting to a whey protein for the last 20 grams. The full 180 involves eating lots of stuff, 180 being the oft repeated 1gm per pound of bodyweight. Maybe if I tried to not eat all sorts of different things I might find it easier - Off to do some experiments on Cronometer.

Results of experiment attached - I've never thought of approaching it on an organised daily basis, I usually just sort of muddle through the day and make the totals good at the end.

FOOD.jpg

I find it incredibly difficult to eat 180 grams of protein a day without resorting to a whey protein for the last 20 grams. The full 180 involves eating lots of stuff, 180 being the oft repeated 1gm per pound of bodyweight. Maybe if I tried to not eat all sorts of different things I might find it easier - Off to do some experiments on Cronometer.
Bill - 1 g/lb is a great goal, but I think there is a lot of evidence that going even as low as 0.7 g/lb is equally effective in most cases. I have no problem using a supplement, or using the 1 g/lb, but thought I'd offer that information if it helps ease some diet stress.

I would also suggest making sure you're looking at cooked portions of meats, which I'm sure you are, but just in case I'm mentioning it. :)

I would also suggest making sure you're looking at cooked portions of meats, which I'm sure you are, but just in case I'm mentioning it. :)
This is an important point. I have trouble with this. I'm not even sure which is the default when the listing doesn't specify raw or cooked. I wish they were all cooked. It seems to me a real hassle to weigh a raw piece of meat and then make sure I eat that exact portion. I'd rather cook the meat, weigh my cooked portion, and eat that.

This is an important point. I have trouble with this. I'm not even sure which is the default when the listing doesn't specify raw or cooked. I wish they were all cooked. It seems to me a real hassle to weigh a raw piece of meat and then make sure I eat that exact portion. I'd rather cook the meat, weigh my cooked portion, and eat that.
100%! Like ... tracking macros isn't that hard, but weighing raw meat portions, cooking them, keeping them separate, etc.... Crazy!

100%! Like ... tracking macros isn't that hard, but weighing raw meat portions, cooking them, keeping them separate, etc.... Crazy!
Yeah, interesting post here about it. I suppose it's an easily solvable problem if you food prep -- do a lot of meat into something that you then portion out for the week. But I generally don't do that.

Since I weigh the meat I eat and it usually doesn't specify raw or cooked, I may be getting more protein than I think.

I try to limit junk. I do this by eating a healthy breakfast (vitamin/mineral supplements, usually cream of wheat, protein shake w. milk, "healthy green", creatine, etc, and maybe toast w. PB) and an early but substantial dinner. Although I try to bring something decent to work, I probably only succeed (at best) once a week - usually it's a granola/protein bar + coffee.

Learning how to cook has been essential to my eating healthy. We get take out on average probably twice a week (and eat out once in a great while) - everything else is home cooked.

I rarely drink. I'm not a teetotaler, but drinking (at least for me and many I see around me) almost always comes w. a huge time suck, bad food choices, and less productive training choices.

Hey Adachi - I copied this comment from another thread .............. is that the majority of what you eat - Mince and Cheese and yoghurt and eggs ? - not criticising just curious - I would not be disciplined enough to eat the same stuff every day.

Results of experiment attached - I've never thought of approaching it on an organised daily basis, I usually just sort of muddle through the day and make the totals good at the end.

View attachment 23297
Yes, I principally eat ground beef.
I add on some dairy.

I have it with yogurt these days. I'm trying to cut back a bit lately. Thanksgiving was great and delicious but I went from 245 to 265 in very short order. And I didn't really plan to. But, my wife prefers it when I eat the food she makes for special occasions. Verily, It is one of the ways that we show love for our family and friends.

This morning I'm down to 255.

There are collateral things that I try to do to support this pattern of eating.

Buying on sale in bulk
Meal prepping for the week

A few months ago, I had saved up and bought as many 5 lbs chubs of ground beef, on sale at the butchers store, as I could fit in my cooler. I don't remember exactly how many but I remember they were on sale for 3.50/lbs . And the cattle was all locally raised and processed. I brought those home and put them in the freezer. About once a week I thaw one of the 5 lbs. Chubs and cook it all at once and distribute it to pyrex dishes. I season it with a 1 tsp powdered chicken bouillon per 1 lbs beef .

Currently, (on my "cut") 5 lbs of beef goes to 8 pyrex dishes. I have one dish per day. And I have about half a tub of yogurt with it. One bite from each at a time. The Greek yogurt and ground beef pair well enough flavor wise. No cheese, no pork rinds.

Normally I'd pack the Pyrex full. About 6-7 lbs. Per 5 pyrex dishes.

@Adachi
Thankyou for the description that was interesting, Holidays catch me out as well, fitting in with other people, am up to 6kg heavier after our annual visit & stay with family.

I am now having 5-6 boiled eggs + dollop of yogurt + berries at breakfast / Beef mince + olives + carrots at lunch / Nuts + some protein powder mid afternoon / A healthy protein vegetable meal with my partner in the evening

Interesting. We eat about the same.
I do the eggs raw, in a shake. I have the same thing every day and i love it.

just cuz I love to share, here's my secret recipe:
5 large egg whites
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon pure cocoa/Ceylon cinnamon mix
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tsp Psyllium
2 gram creatine
3 Medjoul dates
as much frozen broccoli as fits into my Ninja processor.
(Works best if you let the dates and flaxseed soak overnight..)

Never did get sick from the raw eggs afaik.
Me either. Get em fresh and watch the expiry...

5 large egg whites
Egg Whites

Throwing the Egg Yoke away don't make sense.

1) Most of the nutrients in an egg are in the yolk.
Source: Egg yolk: Nutrition and benefits

Egg yolks contain at least seven essential minerals, including:
Egg yolks are a plentiful source of many vitamins, especially fat- and water-soluble vitamins.

2) Half of the Protein in an Egg is in the yoke.

You are throwing away money and good protein.

Buying Egg Whites

Purchasing Egg White is not cost effective.

The cost of 15 gram of Egg Whites in your formla is 72 cents.

1701948365338.png
Whey Protein

Whey Protein that is on sale, that has 24 gram is around 82 cents.

Thus, 15 grams of Whey would be around 52 cent.

Whey is also higher in Leucine, "The Anabolic Amino Acid".

) Half of the Protein in an Egg is in the yoke.
That's not accurate, since there is far more white by weight and volume. And far less calories which is the reason I'm currently excluding them.
By my calculations, a large egg has 3.6 grams of protein from whites, and 2.7 from yolks. While the calorie difference is 18 for whites and 56 for yolks.

So for my 6 eggs I'm getting 26 grams of protein at 166 calories.

5 whole eggs (my previous serving) gave me 35 grams of protein but packed 378 calories.
(Over here, fresh eggs are 8 US cents each.)

And far less calories which is the reason I'm currently excluding them.
Still Not Making Sense

It still comea down to a waste of good protein and money.

Majoring In The Minors

An individual who is overly concerned could find a more effective way of minimizing the number of calories by eliminating other foods.

No matter how you spin or justify it, it doesn't make sense when there are more effective options.

Interesting podcast, Joe Rogan #2060 with Gary Brecka, the guy credited with getting Dana White squared away.
White is 53 and had a projected mortality age of 63 prior to change of diet, methylated glycine and methylated multi vitamins/minerals, red light therapy, etc. Looks like Joe is fixin to buy a $120K red light therapy bed, get the gene and blood testing , and post his before and after numbers. The gene testing is $599.

That's great if you have millions of dollars I guess.

Veganism really agrees with me. When I want to cut weight, I do OMAD (one meal a day) and primarily eat lentils/beans. I probably go 3-5 days in a row eating around 500calories (because lentils and beans are so filling) before I eat a day of maintenance-level calories.

I can of beans is about 350 calories.

Are you saying you're eating only 1 cans of beans a day, plus a little bit of other stuff, for 3-5 days in a row?

If true, that's a crazy huge deficit, probably -1500 to -2000 calories a day, depending on your size.

I suspect you might be miscalculating.

Back
Top Bottom