all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Overhead Pressing Issues = Halos for Shoulders?

Get-ups, I know I should be doing them. How do I know? Because I'm terrible at them and hate them in every way.
I’d definitely suggest working with light get-ups. I followed the Simple and Sinister progression for my first year of kettlebell and it did wonders for my shoulder strength while promoting mobility. Don’t worry too much about the weight, keep it light, maybe just a couple as a warm up. If you want to post a video I’m sure you’d get good feedback on whether or not the shoulder is going to prevent you from doing them correctly.

A heavy getup or two might help with building the shoulders a bit if you're having trouble with finding an agreeable press.
Thx - another vote for get-ups
From what you’re saying I wonder if there is an impingement issue coming from a lack of proper scapular movement. I wonder if the elbow movement you talk about is related to this?
That is clearly important, thanks for the link, I can't see or measure my scapula movement, but it is safe to assume that what bluejeff said is playing a factor in whether or not my Scapulohumeral Rhythm angle is compromised.
Exactly. You want to get better at overhead pressing, not better at doing band exercises.

If you spend all your time squeezing your upper back, squeezing your shoulder blades together, you are telling them to move the opposite direction you want them to go when you reach forward and/or overhead.

For more info:

He has a good YouTube channel and blog. Also check out Zac Cupples.
Awesome feedback, thank you, I'll check all that out.
I’d definitely suggest working with light get-ups... Don’t worry too much about the weight, keep it light, maybe just a couple as a warm up.
Another vote for get-ups.

Update: Before replying here I went down to the gym. I warmed up with a couple get-ups of inconsequential weight (15 pound bell) doing the presses along the way per @Steve Freides . It pretty much felt fine. So I did my regularly scheduled programming - 20 mins of AXE swings followed by some experimenting with dead cleans - switching hands each rep at the bottom. and a few sets of explosive pushups. I felt good, so I tried get-ups with a 14kg bell with a press at each step. Gotta say, that press at the leg sweep step that is pretty much a bent press, not fun, but didn't cause issues either since I remembered Pavel's queue from back in the day of using the lat on those. So, with a press at each step - including what is just a normal press at the stand up step, everything felt fine...good. But man, I was destroyed. 1 get-up each side (granted there were 8-9 presses each side) with light weight (for reference my 1rm press is likely 24-26kg), first time in a long time where I couldn't even start the talk test, let alone pass it. But I might have liked it, I think I'll swap these in on Wed where my halos currently are to see how it goes.

If lighter weight pressing is ok you can try light waiters walks too. Light bottoms up getups are hard, but great for upper back/shoulder stability as well. No need for heavy bells for bottoms up. They’re underrated I think.

My shoulders don’t love a military press, but they’re very happy with the following: getups, bent press, side press (a la PTTP or RKC), push press, jerks.

I think the side press is one of the easier ones to learn, and as Pavel mentions that because of the lat engagement it’s very easy on the shoulders.

Bob Hoffman‘s guide on how to do the sidepress.
“Take the bell to the shoulder, stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, step forward slightly with the foot on the non-lifting side. Most of your weight rests on that advanced foot. Lean forward and to the side in the direction in which the foot on the non-lifting side points, assuming that you will start with the right hand, we will call that foot the left, as you lean over and forward you push up the weight with the right arm to arm’s length. Straighten your body and then lower the bell slowly. Lowering the bell slowly is important for you will obtain almost as much benefit and development from lowering as from raising. At the low point the bell should be just opposite to the shoulder and about eight inches away from it. You should deliberately harden the muscles of the upper back as the bell is lowered, so that the back muscles form a shelf or resting point for the horizontal upper arm. When you learn this movement properly, leaning toward the left foot, placing your weight upon the left foot, will cause the weight to go up almost of its own accord.”

Exactly. You want to get better at overhead pressing, not better at doing band exercises.

If you spend all your time squeezing your upper back, squeezing your shoulder blades together, you are telling them to move the opposite direction you want them to go when you reach forward and/or overhead.

The scapula have to move smoothly and freely for the shoulder to work well. To do that they have to move on a congruent surface, the ribcage! If you have compressed areas of the ribcage they won’t move well, and they won’t have a stable surface to glide on. Imo the fitness industry at large has over corrected “kyphosis” and now people are out there with a flat posterior ribcage. The scapula are concave. They need something convex to move on. In trying to correct one problem they have created a different one.

For more info:

He has a good YouTube channel and blog. Also check out Zac Cupples.

This isn’t really true of Crossover Symmetry as the routine also has pressing motions, as well as scaption,, etc

I find it to translate well if you actually following the recommended routine.

This isn’t really true of Crossover Symmetry as the routine also has pressing motions, as well as scaption,, etc

That’s good. You’ve also been an overhead athletes for decades. Regardless, the OP seems to have tried it, or something similar, to no effect. So I suggested another approach

Don’t underestimate restricted thoracic mobility as in issue for pressing. I religiously do hangs, and thoracic mobility before every workout and have zero issues with pressing now, as well as halos. Not heavy, though I’m interested now
I am regularly surprised that t-spine mobility even requires mentioning when it comes to shoulder mobility and health but here we are...

That's not meant to be a dig - I'm glad you said it. It should either go without saying, or be one of the very first things said.

I was thinking about this as I did it today, scaption felt good and the final movement of the routine is loaded hands overhead. To be clear, the loading is more horizontal, so from a specificity purists standpoint, might not be preparing me for pressing as well as something else could. I do feel that it helped heal my shoulders a couple years ago and make them strong enough to start training again when they were really messed up a few years ago.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this as I did it today, scaption felt good and the final movement of the routine is loaded handsome overhead. To be clear, the loading is more horizontal, so from a specificity purists standpoint, might not be preparing me for pressing as well as something else could. I do feel that it helped heal my shoulders a couple years ago and make them strong enough to start training again when they were really messed up a few years ago.

The horizontal press should be like a 'scapular push up', which definitely should help with overhead press, especially if you do it at a bit of an incline, like an incline press.

That’s good. You’ve also been an overhead athletes for decades. Regardless, the OP seems to have tried it, or something similar, to no effect. So I suggested another approach

Crossover Symmetry was created specifically for overhead athletes, though.

Baseball players, tennis players, volleyball players, etc, etc.

The routine was designed with that in mind. It's not just a bunch of band pull-aparts.

The basic routine is 8 different exercises, covering multiple planes, changing the anchor points from high to low, and varying between facing the anchors and away from the anchors.

Last edited:
I am regularly surprised that t-spine mobility even requires mentioning when it comes to shoulder mobility and health but here we are...

That's not meant to be a dig - I'm glad you said it. It should either go without saying, or be one of the very first things said.

Crappy thoracic mobility, combined with weak upper back leading to crappy posture, seems to be a leading culprit.

Crossover Symmetry was created specifically for overhead athletes, though.

Baseball players, tennis players, volleyball players, etc, etc.

The routine was designed with that in mind. It's not just a bunch of band pull-aparts.

The basic routine is 8 different exercises, covering multiple planes, changing the anchor points from high to low, and varying between facing the anchors and away from the anchors.
FWIW I'm not trying to say the Crossover symmetry stuff isn't good, or that it's bad. I've used variations of all that stuff before. Imo it probably works because you're getting the person to move their shoulder blades with repect to their torso. That said, the shoulder blades still have to move on something, and if that something isn't shaped in a way that "fits" them, they won't move as well, and they won't have a stable surface to find purchase on. I guess I'm just used to seeing the focus being on the upper back, meaning, "the area between the shoulder blades." I still stand by the statement that over -focusing on that will compress that area. That area needs to be widened and opened up for the scaps to move well.

I also had a thought in general about "overhead positions." The overhead position in a barbell snatch is significantly different from something like a handstand, which is different from a unilateral press (like a KB press). From what I can tell, Oly lifters end up with something of a "head forward" position, which puts the bar kind of "behind" their head/neck. So it would make sense in that context that the upper back does more work.

This shoulder position. . .
1702221692688.png

Is a lot different than this shoulder position (I searched for "kettlebell press" and this image of Aleks came up). . .
1702221926240.png

The Oly lifter is more internally rotated (intentionally so, according to the article), while Aleks is more externally rotated. The internally rotated position is going to involve the upper back more. From what I've seen, a double KB overhead press usually ends up in a more externally rotated position as well. Look at photos of people doing kettlebell snatches and you will see a similar position to that of the Oly style.

The point here is that the OP has overhead position issues, and the way he does his overhead work probably plays a role in how/why it hasn't seemed to work out for him. @Brak if you are up for it, a video of your form would certainly be helpful. Please don't feel pressured, however.

I've posted this article before. It's worthwhile to note the emphasis on the ribcage throughout it.

And for reference, the image of Aleks is from his Medium article, " #1 Bodyweight move for a bigger kettlebell military press." For some reason no amount of copy-pasting made the link copy right

I just finished reading 5 different threads about halos, heavy halos, etc. Nearly every comment is in the spirit of it being a warm-up/mobility exercise done in the same session as other overhead work. "Don't go heavy", "a little heavy is ok, but why", "I'd rather do mace work", "I prefer armbars", the occasional "yeah I've gone heavier", and even "after using a heavier bell for halos, the lighter one was easy", which implies a strength increase in the shoulders from doing halos. These are all valid opinions in the context of those conversations, and for those people. The overall consensus seems to remain that halos are not for shoulder strength training because they are intended as a mobility exercise - pressing is simply a superior shoulder strength exercise.

...Not for me - I hope I'm not the only one with this issue.
I won't overhead press, my shoulders don't like it. Whether due to injury or physiology-of-me, just like how some people can't do dips because it is bad for their shoulders and others thrive on dips (incidentally, my shoulders are fine with dips, love em), I am not ok with overhead pressing. No matter how much I want to be, no matter how many times I re-hab my shoulders in preparation for overhead pressing and start with light weight, every time, it ends up being a problem I won't try again (said that more than once btw).

So what to do to hit full shoulders? For a while I did isolation stuff like lateral dumbell or banded raises in addition to my normal stuff shoulderish stuff like floor presses, dips, rows, etc. - I liked the results of these medial delt isolation additions but didn't like the exercises. So recently I added halos back in, not as a warm-up, but as a shoulder exercise in place of the lateral raises. My shoulders are not very strong so a 40# KB is a good halo workout of 4 sets at 11,10,9,8. Last couple reps of sets 2,3&4 are difficult but not grindy, they feel good, and it feels like the entire shoulder gets a good workout, as much or more than when I used to press a heavier KB.

So what I wonder is if this is just as silly for me as overhead pressing since it is also technically overhead (my issues occur higher than halo, near lockout which is why I think halos will be ok), but same as how overhead pressing is not a problem with low weight but becomes a problem as I progress, are halos also likely to be a problem later? Is there another shoulder strength movement you'd recommend for those that can't overhead press (can't be an uncommon issue)?
I'd ping @AleksSalkin or send him an email. I think his recent book/program uses rings to build up and repair shoulders/thoracic areas.

He seems good at addressing issues like you have here (assuming you've got a clean bill of health from a physio).

FWIW I'm not trying to say the Crossover symmetry stuff isn't good, or that it's bad. I've used variations of all that stuff before. Imo it probably works because you're getting the person to move their shoulder blades with repect to their torso. That said, the shoulder blades still have to move on something, and if that something isn't shaped in a way that "fits" them, they won't move as well, and they won't have a stable surface to find purchase on. I guess I'm just used to seeing the focus being on the upper back, meaning, "the area between the shoulder blades." I still stand by the statement that over -focusing on that will compress that area. That area needs to be widened and opened up for the scaps to move well.

I also had a thought in general about "overhead positions." The overhead position in a barbell snatch is significantly different from something like a handstand, which is different from a unilateral press (like a KB press). From what I can tell, Oly lifters end up with something of a "head forward" position, which puts the bar kind of "behind" their head/neck. So it would make sense in that context that the upper back does more work.

This shoulder position. . .
View attachment 23394

Is a lot different than this shoulder position (I searched for "kettlebell press" and this image of Aleks came up). . .
View attachment 23395

The Oly lifter is more internally rotated (intentionally so, according to the article), while Aleks is more externally rotated. The internally rotated position is going to involve the upper back more. From what I've seen, a double KB overhead press usually ends up in a more externally rotated position as well. Look at photos of people doing kettlebell snatches and you will see a similar position to that of the Oly style.

The point here is that the OP has overhead position issues, and the way he does his overhead work probably plays a role in how/why it hasn't seemed to work out for him. @Brak if you are up for it, a video of your form would certainly be helpful. Please don't feel pressured, however.

I've posted this article before. It's worthwhile to note the emphasis on the ribcage throughout it.

And for reference, the image of Aleks is from his Medium article, " #1 Bodyweight move for a bigger kettlebell military press." For some reason no amount of copy-pasting made the link copy right

Yes, that's correct, that in weightlifting the head is forward of the bar, so you end up using your back more on a snatch or jerk.

Also carries over to OHP and push press.

But...

If you're used to this, you can also lift KBs or DBs in the same 'back dominant' way.

I actually find it natural as it reduces impingement issues, but I'm also pretty adapted to it.

So what I wonder is if this is just as silly for me as overhead pressing since it is also technically overhead (my issues occur higher than halo, near lockout which is why I think halos will be ok), but same as how overhead pressing is not a problem with low weight but becomes a problem as I progress, are halos also likely to be a problem later? Is there another shoulder strength movement you'd recommend for those that can't overhead press (can't be an uncommon issue)?
For the rest of the replies, If you don't tolerate presses, why press? Dont try to fit a square peg into a round hole. There's no magic movement you have to do.

You have lots of isolation exercises that will give you the same muscular (read hypertrophy) development as presses.
If halos fits your bill for your goals, go for it and see how far you can take it.

Yes, that's correct, that in weightlifting the head is forward of the bar, so you end up using your back more on a snatch or jerk.
I actually find it natural as it reduces impingement issues...
Opposite for me, wherever/whyever the impingement is happening, it is at the top and the more overhead & heavy, the more it impinges (or used to). I can incline press all day without issue and found myself trying to finish an overhead press with my torso behind the bell. I've also seen videos of people doing it this way, not to the extent I'm describing for illustration's sake, but it makes the movement look...shorter when they do it the way I'm describing - like the bell isn't going up as high even though there is full extension at the elbow.
For the rest of the replies, If you don't tolerate presses, why press? Dont try to fit a square peg into a round hole. There's no magic movement you have to do.
I appreciate the no-nonsense reply not focused on overhead pressing being the best (seemingly only) way to work shoulders. I did not intend for this conversation to revert to what seems to be a common theme here. "I can't press, help me press"...reply: "must be a mobility issue, let's fix that". I can't rule mobility out, because I've not seen an expert about it, and maybe there is some truth to everyone being able to improve mobility with focused effort. But I can easily get my hand up overhead, internally, externally rotate, etc. To me the problem seems to be a slight impingement of some kind sometimes (at some angles almost a click that I can feel) that doesn't hurt immediately, but as weights and or volume increase with repetition, comes inflammation, more clicking, and pain.

So you have a good point...hmm, I am going to try get-ups for a little while to see how that goes, but before this thread, I'd sworn off OHPs for good and maybe I need to go with my gut and stick to that.
You have lots of isolation exercises that will give you the same muscular (read hypertrophy) development as presses.
If halos fits your bill for your goals, go for it and see how far you can take it.
I talked about doing DB/band laterals and halos. Someone else mentioned upright rows that while infamous for causing impingement, don't cause me issues, and using a KB seems to lessen the potential for impingement compared to a close grip on a BB. I even tried low lumberjack presses for a while, but figured the lower I kept them, the more similar they were to halos, I might as well just do halos. Do you have any other suggestions/ideas for shoulder movements that give the same development as presses without being up overhead?

You don't have to do it, but....

Later in life, a lot of people lose the ability to put their arms straight up overhead.

Maybe you don't need to specifically press to maintain, but doing something overhead is probably a good idea for the sake of "use it or lose it".

Back
Top Bottom