all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization
  • goblet squats - 5x44kg, 5x56 kg, 5x44 kg
  • 2-3 (medium-high) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 3-3 (high-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg
  • 1-2 (light-medium) one-arm swings - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 2-2 (medium-medium) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Today's thought (Matrix theme, inspired by Brett's last article)

a.jpg

Red Pill:A life of harsh knowledge, desperate freedom, and the brutal truths of reality⁣⁣

⁣⁣⁣⁣Blue Pill:A life of luxurious security, tranquil happiness, and the blissful ignorance of illusion⁣⁣

⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Red and Blue Faucet: You’ll figure it out. [Thought: unlike the pills, you can mix - knowledge, freedom, security, and tranquil happiness]

Hi, Pavel - do partial Get-ups have a place in S&S? Still trying to work up to a heavier ‘bell.

Apologies if you have answered this elsewhere.

Hi, Pavel - do partial Get-ups have a place in S&S? Still trying to work up to a heavier ‘bell.

Apologies if you have answered this elsewhere.

Tell me what weights are you currently using, for how long, and how often you add a heavier set, and I will do my best to help.

Thank you, Pavel!

I’ve worked up to the 24kg ‘bell, completing all 10 sets in 10 minutes.

I recently acquired a 32kg weight, but there is no way I can complete a full Get-up with it. I plan to implement it into my Swing regimen, though.

Thank you, Pavel!

I’ve worked up to the 24kg ‘bell, completing all 10 sets in 10 minutes.

I recently acquired a 32kg weight, but there is no way I can complete a full Get-up with it. I plan to implement it into my Swing regimen, though.

One more question - how many weeks total have you spent practicing with 24 kg (all sets just with 24 - practicing, not testing)? Thank you.

I don’t have my journal in front of me, but I can say that I’ve been training with the 24kg for several months.

I don’t have my journal in front of me, but I can say that I’ve been training with the 24kg for several months.

Few tips:

- select the most difficult transition and work on it a bit more, let's say 3 reps. Example - roll to elbow, back and forth, 3 times. Use the lighter bell.
- if you can do half get-up with the 32, alternate days of regular get-ups with 24 and half get-ups (24 and 32). Start with just one set left and right with 32, practice like this for 4 weeks, and then add another. Once you can do all 5 sets (left and right, i.e. sum of left and right = 10) of half get-ups with 32, in the same manner gradually replace half get-ups with full get-ups. Note: do half get ups in sets of two, i.e. left, left, right, right = 1 set (of total 5 on each side)
- if you can't do the half get-up yet, just practice roll to press, and hold the heavier weight for 5-10 secs, just to get used to it. The arm needs to be more to the centerline - the center of gravity of heavier bell can't stay outside. It applies to the whole lift.
- review the technique - for heavy get-up, it is the key. Please check out few tips in my article: Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst
- spotter is a great help - you have the strength to do it, all you need is safety and confidence
- feel free to upload a video of you doing get-up and post it here, and we all will do our best to help

One more question: if I practice the roll-to-press with a 5-10s hold, is that in addition to the normal Get-ups in the session or as a replacement for some of the Get-ups?

One more question: if I practice the roll-to-press with a 5-10s hold, is that in addition to the normal Get-ups in the session or as a replacement for some of the Get-ups?

Either/or - experiment. The key is movement + integrity under load practice. It should be relatively easy - nice and smooth movement, nice structure.

• goblet squats - 5x44kg, 5x56 kg, 5x44 kg
  • 2-3 (medium-high) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 1x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-1 (medium-medium) get-ups - 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg
  • 1-2 (light-medium) one-arm swings - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 3-2 (high-medium) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Back
Top Bottom