all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I just finished a cycle with the 20kg quite successfully and am on to the 24kg (saving up for the 32).
I did the “test day” the week after and my max clean and press way 25 on each side and I managed 80 reps in the 5 minute test (started out too conservative). Overall I was pretty happy with the results though. Excited for my second cycle!

Finished the ladders with 24kg this afternoon! Took 31 minutes. Good times.

The last few weeks definitely ate up the energy I usually put into my martial arts practice. Looking forward to a week off from lifting then I'm going to do ETK+ as a 'bus bench' program for a while.

Random notes from the cycle:

I did 16, 20, 24kg pretty well straight through. I pushed the top set as far as I could go with good form each week so did not do 13 weeks for each. Never felt too worn down but definitely got tired these past few weeks.

Snatching 24kg has NEVER felt this easy. True, I had a long gap from snatches but sets of five are absolutely flying up.

Seems to have ended up being a recomp. I did some heavy barbell work leading in and was an unprecedented 93kg. Back down at a much leaner 85 now.

Had my first strict presses with 32kg during the cycle. Will throw these in some days with ETK+. Feels like multiple reps is definitely doable right now.

Work capacity has been improving. I was compressing the rest periods, so not surprising.

Martial arts practice felt stronger and stronger right up to the last couple of weeks when suddenly I didn't have nearly as much juice. That's what made me decide to reset here and do ETK+ rather than push straight on with the 28 as I originally intended.

Hope you're all having fun with your training!

-Sam
I agree about the 24kg snatches! Lol, that’s my new goal.

Starting my last chunk of ROP. Heavy day this week will be 1x(1,2,3,4,5) 4x(1,2,3,4). I noticed after my LAST heavy day 5x(1,2,3,4) I was like down for the count the next 2 days. Needed to recover heavily.
I’m guessing this is normal? The farther along you get due to the volume increase does it seem normal to possible need 2 days between training days?
Pretty sure I’m eating enough. Just curious where everyone else was at once the volume got higher.
Also, if it’s advisable, I considered trying to really give myself a good bit of of time between ladders/rungs. The last heavy day took me probably 50 minutes for just the press/pull up ladders.

Hello,

@IMayAgainKnowChris
Yes it may "normal" (but everyone is different of course), especially by the end. For me, the last 3 weeks were really hard, especially the heavy days. I managed to do heavy days on saturday morning to get as much rest as I could, because I trained on monday morning the next week.

I do not know how, but I kept the programming as per the book. However, if I were to do it again, I think I would not hesitate to take a day of rest more, following the same logic than FPP for instance. Indeed, I was not necessarily 100% fresh on monday, especially if the saturday was "hectic".

I also ate way more during RoP!

Kind regards,

Pet'

I too
Starting my last chunk of ROP. Heavy day this week will be 1x(1,2,3,4,5) 4x(1,2,3,4). I noticed after my LAST heavy day 5x(1,2,3,4) I was like down for the count the next 2 days. Needed to recover heavily.
I’m guessing this is normal? The farther along you get due to the volume increase does it seem normal to possible need 2 days between training days?
Pretty sure I’m eating enough. Just curious where everyone else was at once the volume got higher.
Also, if it’s advisable, I considered trying to really give myself a good bit of of time between ladders/rungs. The last heavy day took me probably 50 minutes for just the press/pull up ladders.
I took a few extra rest days over the last few weeks. Just whenever I felt necessary. When I was younger I'd have pushed through but nowadays I'm happy to spend an extra day eating and playing with the kids!

I remember this feeling too when I did the ROP. I don't know what else you're doing with the program but at this point, if you haven't already, consider dropping "variety days" and eat well. Maybe also drop pull ups too??? Just a thought....

Hello,

@IMayAgainKnowChris
Yes it may "normal" (but everyone is different of course), especially by the end. For me, the last 3 weeks were really hard, especially the heavy days. I managed to do heavy days on saturday morning to get as much rest as I could, because I trained on monday morning the next week.

I do not know how, but I kept the programming as per the book. However, if I were to do it again, I think I would not hesitate to take a day of rest more, following the same logic than FPP for instance. Indeed, I was not necessarily 100% fresh on monday, especially if the saturday was "hectic".

I also ate way more during RoP!

Kind regards,

Pet'
I stretched my 7 day week to 9 days to get more rest days in. Current schedule is:
Day 1 - Heavy Day ROP
Day 2 - Variety
Day 3 - run
Day 4 - Light day ROP
Day 5 - Variety
Day 6 - run
Day 7 - Medium day ROP
Day 8 - variety
Day 9 - rest day

Lots of rest. Day 1 this week was Heavy ROP 1x(1-5) and 4x(1-4). Needed extra recovery on Day 2, so kept the variety to some very light mobility work. By the time Day 1 rolls around next, I'll have had plenty of recovery. Working from home everyday has changed my mindset from the usual 7 day programming and I'll add in an extra day or two and keep going with the added recovery.

When do you guys do the chin ups?

After every rung or every ladder?

I'm asking because I wonder how beneficial doing so many low rep sets will be for my ability to do max reps?

When do you guys do the chin ups?

After every rung or every ladder?

I'm asking because I wonder how beneficial doing so many low rep sets will be for my ability to do max reps?
I always did my chin ups after each rung, matching them to the number of presses.

I think the combination of the chin up volume plus doing the chin ups post pressing will effortlessly increase your max reps. Especially if you compress the rest periods.

I always did my chin ups after each rung, matching them to the number of presses.

I think the combination of the chin up volume plus doing the chin ups post pressing will effortlessly increase your max reps. Especially if you compress the rest periods.
Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a go :)

Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a go :)
Anytime. Make sure to take care of your elbows, play around with hand positions and pick an appropriate pressing weight.

When I said match the number of chin ups to rungs, I meant : 1 press both sides, 1 chin up -> 2 presses both sides, 2 chin ups etc.

Just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion.

Anytime. Make sure to take care of your elbows, play around with hand positions and pick an appropriate pressing weight.

When I said match the number of chin ups to rungs, I meant : 1 press both sides, 1 chin up -> 2 presses both sides, 2 chin ups etc.

Just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion.
That sounds like the correct way to go, I am weak in the pull ups though and was ascending With the sets myself; 1,2,3,4,5. Now that I’m restarting with the 24 I’m emulating the russian fighter program and doing something like 5,4,3 on light day, 7,6,5 on heavy day. Haven’t decided if i want my heavy pull up day on my light press day and so on. Input there is welcome.

Anyone know the word for that special feeling you get after rolling a 3 or 4 on the dice on your heavy day... Relief doesn’t really describe it accurately enough :)

Back
Top Bottom