all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've done the bar ankle stretch on two days now. I did three long stretches on each day. First day I used 10kg plates, today I used 15kg plates. I noticed no difference, both worked beautifully. I went up to 50kg today as I wanted to use that weight for presses behind the neck.

I haven't noticed anything special with the stretch yet. It is a position where I can stay comfortably for ages. I think it's better than the prying goblet squat.

I use Adidas weightlifting shoes, like on the video, I believe. I haven't noticed any pain on the quads.

Friday 24th Nov

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 4 x 10 1HS . 19 Kg.
- 4x10 2 hs. 19 kg
- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 19 kg

Sunday 26th Nov

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 2 x 10 1HS . 19 Kg.
- 8x10 2 hs. 19 kg

Travelling to Paraguay mon-wed, so had to adapt the routine.

Monday 27th Nov

Practice:

- 6 x 8 deadlifts with 2 dumbbells, total 50 kg.
- 3x8 knee extensions 55 Kg.
- 3x5 back GHD with 25 Kg.

Tuesday 28th Nov

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 25 kg
2x7 bridges with 25 kg
1x5+5 halos 25 kg

Practice:

- 10 x 10 2HS . 25 Kg dumbbell
- 8 x1 TGU to squat. 17.5 kg dumbbell

The TGU were quite hard. I felt very stiff. Maybe I was stiff from the day before? The transition to squat with a dumbbell is always very difficult though.

Thursday 30th Nov

Good day for training. First, recovery has been pretty good from the previous days, even though Tuesday was a fairly heavy day for me. Second, I bought a 24 Kg kettlebell, after lots of searching, and found one that appears to be good. It felt really confortable since the first moment I clean and pressed it. Apparently I wasnt able to press my previous 25 kg because of its bad design that was hurting my wrist. I also did my first TGU per side with the 24 and felt fairly easy. Things seem to be going well.

I used the 24 kg for 2HS and the 19 kg for 1HS. The 19 kg feels too easy for 2HS, so this seems to be a good mix. I will slowly build up to 10 total sets this way (I have been doing 8 sets in average up to now). Then I will start adding some 1HS with the 24. I´ll come up with a cunning plan for this progression.

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 25 kg
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos 25 kg

Practice:

- 3 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 6 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg
-2 x 1 TGU to squat 24 kg.

Really happy with this practice :)

Saturday 2nd December

1.5 hours kiteboarding. Great day. My abs felt so sore the following days... this can be a good core workout. Too bad is not windy more often.

Sunday 3rd December

Zercher squat: 3x8 50 kg.

Back squat : 3x8 50kg

Knee extensions: 3x8 55 kg

Something interesting happened this morning. I spent a long time playing with my baby in the squat position, to the point that my ankles and feet felt a very good stretch. So in a lapse of genius I decided to see if I could do an ankle-together-knees-together a#@ to grass squat, and I could. This was amazing. I have tried this in the past and wasnt even reaching parallel. This is a great milestone for my long term goal of achieving a pistol. Im quite amazed by this.

Edit: Funny to see that I wrote "a#@" and the forum translated "a#@". I bet its happening again now.

Monday 4th December

Lunch time: 1.5 hours kiteboarding. A lot better than food. Ended up a bit hungry though.

Evening:

Warm up:
1x5 goblet squats 25 kg
1x7 bridges

Practice:

- 3 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 4 x 8 1HS. 24 Kg

I was too lazy to do TGU, so I did some C&P:

- 6x3 C&P 19 kg (3 sets each hand).

I decided to try 1HS with the 24 kg and they went surprisingly well, it wasnt light but it wasnt heavy either. I did sets of 8 instead of 10 just to do it in a progressive manner, and also because my grip was tired from kitesurfing. No soreness whatsoever the next day, so I can conclude the session wasnt very taxing.

Tuesday 5th December

Afternoon: 1.5 hours kiteboarding. Then beers with a friend.

I´m a bit surprised how well I´m recovering from exercise. In the last 4 days I did 3 kitesurfing sessions, 1 barbell and 1 kettlebell practice and I havent felt tired or sore (some soreness in the abs due to kiting, but I attribute it to not being used to kiting). I´m going to push it a bit more including more sets with the 24 to see if I find the point where I end up just a bit sore. Then, based on that, I´ll design my cunning plan.

Measured waist and hip: 84 cm and 93 cm respectively

Last edited:
Wednesday 6th December

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 25 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 3 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 6 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg

- 8 x 1 TGU-squat. 19 kg

Recovery was good. This amount of work is what I will take as a baseline to draft my cunning plan.

CUNNING PLAN

Ok, I have my cunning plan.

These days I´m working with a 19 kg KB and a 24 KG KB, mixing 1HS and 2HS with the both. My short term goal is to stop using the 19 kg, because it’s a plastic KB with two plates attached, the handle has reduced diameter, the plates can fly away, etc. So I want to stop using it as soon as I can. It has served its purpose.

My mid-term goal, after I work exclusively with the 24, is to achieve 100 1HS with the 24.

In order to achieve this goal I have entered in an Excel sheet all my latest practices. Then, I have calculated the “workload” for each practice in the following manner:

- I have considered that a 2HS has a workload that is 60% of the 1HS with the same weight. This figure of 60% is my estimation done by feel.

- The workload is proportional to the weight. So a swing with 20 kg is 2 times the workload than the same swing with 10 kg.

- I have considered my goal, 100 1HS with 24 kg, to represent a workload of 100.

Based on the above premises, this is what my latest practices looked like:

upload_2017-12-7_17-36-8.png

Without specific planning my workload has been increasing, just done by feel. Over a 45 day period, the workload has increased 19 points, more or less, which represents an increase of 40%. Quite significant. In average, it has been an increase of 3 points per week.

It turns out that I´m at the moment at a workload of 65, 35 points awaiy from the 100 I want to achieve. So if I keep a weekly increase of 3 points, I´ll get there in about 12 weeks. This sounds good and achievable. Maybe a bit ambitious, but my body has been responding well lately. So I´ll start by adding 3 workload points per week and see how I feel.

Then, I will also need light, medium and heavy days. Light days I will use if I´m tired, don’t have time or any other reason. Heavy days I will use if I have a forced rest day the day after (travelling for instance), or if I have a lot of time and can take long rest between sets, or if Im feeling very strong. Medium days will be every normal day. This is an idea for each:

- Medium day: calculated to have a workload 3 points above the week before.

- Light day: 15 points below medium.

- Heavy: 10 points above medium.

So, for next week, this will be it:

- Medium: 60 x 19 kg 1HS, 30 x 24 kg 2HS, 10x 19 2HS. Equal 70 points workload.

- Light: 40 x 19 kg 1HS, 40x 24 2HS. Equal 56 points workload.

- Heavy: 20 x 24 kg 1HS, 60 x 19 kg 1HS, 20 x 24 kg 2HS. Equal 80 points workload.

@Antti hope you like it, let me know your thoughts

I´m working on something similar for TGU. I´ll figure it out and post it later.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-7_17-35-15.png
    upload_2017-12-7_17-35-15.png
    35 KB · Views: 1
It looks good to me.

Your progress so far has been good, like you said. What do you think has been the main thing behind it? Have you considered how you can take the greatest advantage of this good thing? Have you considered the biggest problem and how to minimize it?

Just to be clear, you are now at an average of 65. You want to achieve 100. However, your heavy day is 10 above average. If I understand you right you would actually reach 100 on your heavy day the week your average is 90? But you won't accept it and you will wait until you average 100?

Just to be clear, you are now at an average of 65. You want to achieve 100. However, your heavy day is 10 above average. If I understand you right you would actually reach 100 on your heavy day the week your average is 90? But you won't accept it and you will wait until you average 100?

Yes, you understood perfectly. My heavy day when my average is 90 will be of 100. 100 only represents doing all 1HS with the 24, so this is just a milestone along the way. I'll keep going until reaching Simple. By the time my average is 90 or so I will probably start doing 2HS with the 32, so I'll have to buy one soon.

Your progress so far has been good, like you said. What do you think has been the main thing behind it? Have you considered how you can take the greatest advantage of this good thing? Have you considered the biggest problem and how to minimize it?

You bring up good questions that I haven't considered, thanks for that. My progress has been good, indeed. I'm happy with it. One of the tl main reasons, I think, is that I haven't pushed it. I have worked consistently, but always at comfortable levels. So, as you say, things are going well, I should not change them. This probably means being careful with workload and avoid doing more than I can to achieve arbitrary figures. I'll have to listen to my body.

I haven't identified a problem or a risk yet. At least not from the work I have done so far.

Actually, as I'm writing this, I see two flaws in the way I've been training:

- I haven't stretched as per the program.
- I haven't gotten much feedback on my technique.

This are major aspects I have to improve.

Thursday 7th December

I went for a walk with my baby in the kangaroo pack and bought some craft beer. Then I ended up doing some 1HS with the 24 kg while drinking the beer. I decided to stop when things got blurry. I dont know if swinging while drinking beer was a good idea, but this is supposed to be a log., so I log it.

Practice:

- 8 x 5 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 40

Friday 8th December

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 25 kg
2x7 bridges with the 24 kg bell on my hips.
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 3 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 6 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg
- 1x10 2HS. 19 kg.
Workload: 70.

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat. 19 kg
-2x1 TGU-squat 24 kg.
Workload: 5.76

Sunday 10th December

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 25 kg
2x7 bridges

Practice:

I followed @Steve Freides article on progression from 2HS to 1HS. It worked very well.

- 6x ( 6 2HS + 2 left + 2 right). 24 Kg
- 2 x (5 left + 5 right) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 66.

I went to practice to the building patio with my wife and baby, so I didnt want to bring both KB. so I only brought the 24 and decided to do the TGU without negatives. Worked out fine. No soreness the day after.

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat (only possitive). 24 kg
-2x1 TGU-squat 24 kg.
Workload: 5.00

I´ve been struggling to find the time to do the barbell tendinosis routine... but well, at least I have been pretty consistent with S&S. I´ve been feeling some pain in the tendon this last week, so I´ll try to get back to the routine this week.

Moday 11th December

Warm up:
1 hour kitesurfing. commuting by bike.

1x5 goblet squats 25 kg
1x7 bridges with the 24 kg bell on my hips

Practice:

- 10 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg
Workload: 79.

- 8 x 1 TGU-squat. 19 kg
-2x1 TGU-squat 24 kg.
Workload: 7.01

Kitesurfing left me wanting more... so I went for a heavy day. All good.

Last edited:
@Tarzan, my short term goal is to do 100 1 hand swings and 10 TGU, both with 24 Kg. Therefore, 100 1 HS at 24 represents a workload of 100, and 10 TGU at 24 a workload of 10.

In order to achieve this I am using the following variations, and to each I have assigned a workload:

For swings:

- 1HS at 24 represent a workload of 1 each.

- 2 HS represent a load of 60%, compared to 1HS. This was estimated by feel.

- the workload is reduced by the weight. So a 1HS at 12 kg would be reduced by 50%. Therefore a 2HS with 12 kg would be a workload of 0.3.

For TGU:

- doing only the possitive fraction represents 60%

- the workload is corrected by the square of the weight. For instance, a TGU with 12 kg is 25% of 24 Kg.

I have an Excel file that does the math for me, I can share it with you if you want.

I came up with this idea because I noticed that for the last 45 days I have been increasing the workload by about 3 points per week (for swings). As my body has been responding well, I figured I can keep this rate of increase until working exclusively with the 24 1HS.

The original plan is here Simple path

Friday 15th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 1 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 6 x (5+5) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 66.

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 kg
Workload: 6

Nice practicer very early in the morning. The 5+5 sets of swings with the 24 felt very good, I found that 5 reps per arm I can keep very crisp. Really liked this arrangement.

TGU were ok. Even though I'm left handed, they are a lot easier with my right arm. In particular the transition to squat, which is in general quite difficult. I think it might be related to the tendinosis on the right patellar tendon: When transitioning to the squat with the left hand, I have to lean over the right leg, putting a lot of weight for the squat. So maybe my body doesnt want to load the right knee, therefore the transition is more challenging. Ill try with the lighter bell to really load the right leg and see if that helps the transition.

Last edited:
Saturday 16th dec

Warm up:
Some bodyweight squats
2x7 bridges

Practice:

- 2 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
- 6 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 60.

- 4 x 3 MP 19 kg.

Decided to take a light day. Went fine. Didn't have time for TGU so I did some presses.

Monday 18th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 64.

- 4 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg.

Nice practice. Unfortunately my baby woke up so I couldnt do more TGU. Tomorrow Ill do a heavy day of TGU and a medium for swings.

Kitesurfing in the afternoon. Nice session, though my legs were a bit tired.

Last edited:
Tuesday 19th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg.
Workload: 6

Wednesday 20th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg

- 4 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg. Only possitive.
Workload: 2.4

Kiteboarding in the afternoon.

When doing the TGU, since I did only possitive, I lowered the bell to the rack as in a press. I felt some pain on my right elbow when doing this. The weight was a bit heavy I guess.

Also, in the afternoon doing kiteboarding, my arms felt pretty tired. That's a bit odd since neither s&s nor kiting are taxing on the arms. Also my legs were a bit tired.

Well, I guess tomorrow I'll do a light day with the 19 Kg. That should be good after 3 days straight with 24.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom