all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thursday 21st dec

Practice:

- 6x10 1HS. 19 Kg
Workload: 47.5.

Decided to take a light day, as I didnt sleep much the night before and was tired. Also, I needed a rest from 3 days in a row working with 24. I´m feeling awesome the day after.

Friday 22nd dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 4+4 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 64.

- 2 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg.
- 6x1 TGU-squat. 19 kg
Workload: 5.76

Afternoon:

- 3x5 zercher squats 50 kg.
-2x3 KB front squat 24 kg

I did these as some kind of tendinosis recovery routine, i think I'll add these after s&s 2 times a week. I've been feeling some pain on the tendon, but I dont want to go back to the full tendinosis routine. Im writing this the day after and my tendon is feeling great.

Last edited:
Saturday 23rd dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 4+4 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg.
Workload: 6

The TGU-squat were extremely easy. In particular the transition fron sitting to squatting, which is usually the hard part. A few possible causes come to mind:

- my hip flexors feel very loose today. I've been doing hip flexor chair stretches 2 times a day at the office, that might have helped.

- yesterday squats? In particular the KB front squats. Those require to pull yourself down.

Sunday 24th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 4+4 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg

Monday 25th dec

Warm up:
2x10 BW squats
2x7 bridges

Practice:

- 4 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
- 5x10 2HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 62.

- 4 x 1 TGU-squat. 24 Kg.
Workload: 4

- 3x6 KB front squat, slow. 24 kg.

My grip was a bit tired, so I did some 2HS and reduced 1HS.

I replaced some of the TGU for front squats. I´ll try to include some of these for the tendon. They usually reduce the pain. I dont mind much if progress of the TGU is slower, my priority is to stay injury free now.

Tuesday 26th dec

Warm up:
3x5 goblet squats 24 kg
3x5 bridges
2x 4+4 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 4 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
- 4x10 2HS. 24 kg.
Workload: 56.

- 8 x 1 TGU-squat. 19 Kg.
Workload: 5.01

Light day. I needed it, many days in a row. The day after I felt awesome.

Wednesday 27th dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19 kg
3x5 bridges
2x 4+4 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 2 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg
- 2x10 1HS. 24 kg.
- 4 x (4+4) 1HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 67.8.

All good. Everything felt fairly easy after the light day. Those light days really assist with recovery.

Today I filmed my swings and TGU. Also started a thread for feedback:

Swing form check

Hey, nice way to do get-ups. I want to try that squat style myself. Awesome.

Thanks Masa! I´m doing these in replacement of normal get ups due to the tendinosis. For some reason these dont bother my knee. Maybe by now the normal TGU dont bother my knees either... but things are going fine, I dont want to mess it up.

I think this is a very valuable variation. They have really improved my squatting, ankle dorsiflexion, hip and shoulder mobility. Its a lot more difficult than a normal TGU in my opinion, due to the a#@ to grass overhead squat. You cant go as heavy as a normal get up, but it improves mobility.

You should try them when you get better. There is some movement in the spine during the movement in all directions: It flexes, rotates and bends laterally. So something to consider in your case. But if you find out you can do it without pain, maybe it will do you good.

I think your current get-up style might be even better for my back and as a bonus it's easier for the knees. I've had issues with knees too and don't want that again.

I think your current get-up style might be even better for my back and as a bonus it's easier for the knees. I've had issues with knees too and don't want that again.
Maybe it would be good for you then. A few things for you to consider:

• The lower back is prone to rounding at the bottom of the squat.
  • In my case, at the bottom of the squat the spine is torsioned (towards the KB arm) and also inclined (possibly flexed) to the side.
  • Have you been doing TGU lately? In my case, the spine flexes a bit in the roll-to-elbow.
I´m just bringing these up due to your resent back problem. Maybe you can show my video to your phisio and see what he thinks before trying it, no?

If you try it, let me know how it goes

Maybe it would be good for you then. A few things for you to consider:

• The lower back is prone to rounding at the bottom of the squat.
  • In my case, at the bottom of the squat the spine is torsioned (towards the KB arm) and also inclined (possibly flexed) to the side.
  • Have you been doing TGU lately? In my case, the spine flexes a bit in the roll-to-elbow.
I´m just bringing these up due to your resent back problem. Maybe you can show my video to your phisio and see what he thinks before trying it, no?

If you try it, let me know how it goes
Thanks for your elaborated answer and help. I haven't done getups lately, so I'm afraid of that flexing effect. I will show your video to my PT. My next appointment is soon (3.1.2018).

Current concern is few drills in a Kiwi's program. Hamstring curls on a Swiss ball seems to irritate my sciatica and I'm worried about swings too. I do them lightly sport style, so no problems there yet; should I ditch them temporarily?

Thanks for your elaborated answer and help. I haven't done getups lately, so I'm afraid of that flexing effect. I will show your video to my PT. My next appointment is soon (3.1.2018).

Current concern is few drills in a Kiwi's program. Hamstring curls on a Swiss ball seems to irritate my sciatica and I'm worried about swings too. I do them lightly sport style, so no problems there yet; should I ditch them temporarily?

I think that if they bring pain to your back you should ditch them, yes. Or at least find a regression that doesnt hurt.

About the hamstring curls, maybe you can try a regression before ditching them, right? An idea is glute bridges (maybe with the heel further away from the butt in order to target the hamstring), or hip thrusts, or maybe the hamstring curl on something less unstable that the swiss ball. Have you tried these?

About the swings, maybe you can do the same. Have you tried KB deadlifts? The swing is very dynamic and difficult to control, whereas the deadlift is slow and controlled. So they might be better suited for the time being. Also, you are doing GS style, which has some rotation of the spine, is this fine for you? Maybe 2HS are better suited since the load is simmetrical. lets hope @elli doesnt see this post since she wants you to stay away from KB. Maybe you can regress to 2 hand KB deadlift, then 2 hand swings (light).

Thursday 28th Dec

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19 kg
2x7 bridges
1x 4+4 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 10 x 10 1HS. 19 Kg
Workload: 79.2.

- 10 x 1 TGU-squat. 19 Kg.
Workload: 6.27

Today I did the practice with reduced rest periods. I didnt go for the 5 minutes time standard for swings, but instead decided to do a fast pace. I ended up doing the swings in 5:50 and the TGU in 10 min. The TGU were quite easy. The swings were not hard, but not easy either. I think I can make the time standards with the 19, I might try it again in a few weeks.

Friday 29th Dec

Warm up:
2x6 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 6 x (4+4) 1HS. 24Kg
- 2 x (5+5) 1HS. 24Kg
Workload: 68

- 2 x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2 x 1 Get down-squat. 24Kg.
-4 x 1- TGU-squat. 19Kg.
Workload: 6.51

No soreness from yesterday, which was a heavy day at fast pace, good.

Today I tried a get down, meaning a TGU starting from the top. Discussed with coach Steve and noted that the squat is better on the way down , so I tried the get-down to see if this improves the squat in both directions. Didn't notice a big difference today, but I'll keep working with it.

Last edited:
Saturday 30th December

Warm up:
1x6 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 2x 10 2HS. 24 Kg.
- 4 x (4+4) 1HS. 24Kg
- 2 x (5+5) 1HS. 24Kg
Workload: 59.8

- 2 x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 4 x 1 Get down-squat. 24Kg.
-2 x 1- TGU. 24 Kg.
Workload: 8.40

I did more Get Downs today, a total of 4. Really liked them, and I think they helped me get a better squat. They are a bit more taxing than a get up though, since I have to clean and push press the bell. Basically the bell goes to overhead twice, instead of once, and the time under tension is more. I have democratically decided that they are a workload of 1.2 compared to a TGU-squat.

I also tried a normal TGU today. It felt a lot easier than the squat variation. During all movements the body is in a strong position to make force, whereas the transition to squat in the TGU-squat is a bit tricky. The knee didnt bother. The workload ot a TGU compared to a TGU-squat seems to be about 0.8.

During TGU the arm felt very stable and strong. Nice feeling.

Last edited:
Sunday 31st December

Warm up:
1x5 goblet squats 24kg
1x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8x10 1HS. 19 Kg
Workload: 63.3

Light day, and no time for TGU.

Tuesday 2nd Jan 2018

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 4 x (4+4) 1HS. 24Kg
- 4 x (5+5) 1HS. 24Kg
Workload: 72.0

- 6 x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2 x 1 Get down-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 8.40

1st Jan was a forced recovery day, which actually might have been good after 14 days non-stop.

TGU are feeling extremely easy. I think the Get Down is helping, and so is looking at the bell during the squat. I´m not so sure whats going on with my lower back during that transition, I wonder if I´m curving it. I´ll have to make a video.

How's your tendinosis? It looks like you haven't been doing the rehab routine in a long time.

How's your tendinosis? It looks like you haven't been doing the rehab routine in a long time.

My tendinosis is at the sweet spot many nagging injuries end: it has improved to the point it doesnt interfere with my life, but its not gone. Its still there being a bit annoying.

Indeed, I havent done the routine for a while. I got tired of it and decided I want to focus on S&S. not sure if it was a good idea though.

Your question is quite timely, since I have been thinking what to do about the Tendinosis routine. I had good results with it the pain did improve when I was doing it. It didnt go away, but it did improve. S&S was also improving those days, even though I ended up doing it about 3 times a week.

An alternative I have considered is adding some squats at the end of my S&S session, to see if they help.

My problem at the moment is that I have two goals: Getting rid of the tendinosis and reaching Simple. So I´m not sure in which direction to go.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom