all posts post new thread

Simple & Sinister - General discussion

In the S&S book the idea of the smaller 4kg step is mentioned and given tacit approval.

"As for the weight increases, some students may be uncomfortable with our preferred large jumps in the get-up—4kg for ladies and 8kg for gentlemen. Get extra bells and jump half as high, 2kg and 4kg, respectively. Accordingly, shorten the steps from four to two weeks." (from "Kettlebell Simple & Sinister: Revised and Updated Edition" by Pavel Tsatsouline)

On the other hand we have "Die but DO" and this article 6 Reasons for the Leaps Between Kettlebell Sizes | StrongFirst

Have done two days with 24kg getups and they are quite tough compared to 16kg. Took a rest day today will see how I feel tomorrow.

What did you do for your first step change - the full increment or a half increment ?
I progressed from 20 kg to 24 kg without programming. The 24 kg was the heaviest in my municipal gym.
I then did 24 kg to 32 kg "by the book".
Then again using two week progressions for 32 kg to 36 kg.

I’ve been doing 4kg jumps with both lifts and am on week 2 of the step to 32kg. Been incredibly consistent and reliable for me. Should hit timeless simple after 40 weeks of practice.
Is that based on progressing straight from one bell size to the next?
I personally found I needed to consolidate on one bell for some time before progressing onwards.

In the S&S book the idea of the smaller 4kg step is mentioned and given tacit approval.

"As for the weight increases, some students may be uncomfortable with our preferred large jumps in the get-up—4kg for ladies and 8kg for gentlemen. Get extra bells and jump half as high, 2kg and 4kg, respectively. Accordingly, shorten the steps from four to two weeks." (from "Kettlebell Simple & Sinister: Revised and Updated Edition" by Pavel Tsatsouline)

On the other hand we have "Die but DO" and this article 6 Reasons for the Leaps Between Kettlebell Sizes | StrongFirst

Have done two days with 24kg getups and they are quite tough compared to 16kg. Took a rest day today will see how I feel tomorrow.

What did you do for your first step change - the full increment or a half increment ?
16 to 24kg in terms of % is the biggest jump, I couldn’t even do a single TGU with 24kg, so went to 20kg, then 24kg, 28, 32,36.
If I read the above correctly, you have managed to perform a TGU with 24kg safely? Then I would continue slow and steady. Strength takes time.

Is that based on progressing straight from one bell size to the next?
I personally found I needed to consolidate on one bell for some time before progressing onwards.
10 weeks per bell. So by week 9 using the +4kg bell for everything. I’ve found by this point I’ve ‘owned’ that weight and am ready for the next.

10 weeks per bell. So by week 9 using the +4kg bell for everything. I’ve found by this point I’ve ‘owned’ that weight and am ready for the next.
OK, but the progress simplicity from 12 (?) to 20 kg may not translate directly to 20 to 32 kg.

I am in my first month of moving up from 24kg to 32kg and having an issue with TGUs. It seems like the first two sets are not always enough to wake up my central nervous system to the point it needs to be at for the third and fourth sets with the 32. About half of the time, I am able to complete the two 32kg sets with decent form - not perfect, but good enough to build on. But the other half, as soon as I start the roll to elbow, my shoulders unpack, the elbow of the loaded arm bends, and my core folds up. I am considering backing off for a few weeks, but this doesn't feel like a raw strength issue, nor does it seem like overtraining - this problem occurs after rest days as often as it does at the end of a week. It feels like I've got a mental block that stops my brain from getting the appropriate muscles as tight as they need to be to get the movement started under the heavier load.

I thought about doing a couple of light sets with a 16kg bell after I finish the swings, just to jump start my muscle memory before subjecting it to working loads. Does this seem like a good idea? Other than that, can anyone suggest any tips, cues to focus on, mental exercises? Thanks in advance.

@blad51 @Symanoy @PeteL @Essexman

Thanks very much for your responses and advice regarding the 4kg or 8kg step from 16kg. After reading your posts I figure that as the half step is completed in half the time its debatable whether or not not doing the full step is of much benefit, despite the reasons given here LINK .

I find the thinking behind the article fascinating.

Last edited:
I am in my first month of moving up from 24kg to 32kg and having an issue with TGUs. It seems like the first two sets are not always enough to wake up my central nervous system to the point it needs to be at for the third and fourth sets with the 32. About half of the time, I am able to complete the two 32kg sets with decent form - not perfect, but good enough to build on. But the other half, as soon as I start the roll to elbow, my shoulders unpack, the elbow of the loaded arm bends, and my core folds up. I am considering backing off for a few weeks, but this doesn't feel like a raw strength issue, nor does it seem like overtraining - this problem occurs after rest days as often as it does at the end of a week. It feels like I've got a mental block that stops my brain from getting the appropriate muscles as tight as they need to be to get the movement started under the heavier load.

I thought about doing a couple of light sets with a 16kg bell after I finish the swings, just to jump start my muscle memory before subjecting it to working loads. Does this seem like a good idea? Other than that, can anyone suggest any tips, cues to focus on, mental exercises? Thanks in advance.
I found that for some reason when moving from the 16kg up to the 24kg, I struggled with the 16kg sometimes, whereas the 24kg would go up fine. Almost like I'd lost the "groove" with the different weight.

Also, sometimes if I'm struggling with the higher weight, it's because I'm not bracing my core or grip enough, and the heavier bell shows me my errors. Have a play with it.

It's been a leap of faith introducing the heavier bell and not a strength issue. I've managed somehow to convince myself to trust the process. Go slow with the first and second set with 24 kg to practice the tension as @lais817 suggested, find the weak spots and apply that to fourth and fifth set with 32 kg. Then practice more with the rest of the sets with 24 kg based on what felt difficult with the 32 kg.

and the heavier bell shows me my errors
Thats what I am finding - from the videos of my lighter TGUs its easy to see I was able to unintentionally get away with upper arm mistakes ie not locked out properly & not quite vertical but the Kettlebell didn't run away because there was enough strength in the non vertical bent arm to complete the exercise with the dodgy technique.

OK, but the progress simplicity from 12 (?) to 20 kg may not translate directly to 20 to 32 kg.
I’ve used this to go from 16-20kg 20-24kg 24-28kg and am now using it go from 28-32kg it’s worked great.

@blad51 @Symanoy @PeteL @Essexman

Thanks very much for your responses and advice regarding the 4kg or 8kg step from 16kg. After reading your posts I figure that as the half step is completed in half the time its debatable whether or not not doing the full step is of much benefit, despite the reasons given here LINK .

I find the thinking behind the article fascinating.
I feel very much the same way. It’s less taxing psychologically as well with smaller steps. Only downside is need to buy and store more bells.

...About half of the time, I am able to complete the two 32kg sets with decent form - not perfect, but good enough to build on. But the other half, as soon as I start the roll to elbow, my shoulders unpack, the elbow of the loaded arm bends, and my core folds up....

I thought about doing a couple of light sets with a 16kg bell after I finish the swings, just to jump start my muscle memory before subjecting it to working loads. Does this seem like a good idea?

Yeah the 32 is a big change from 24kg.

On the days when you're not feeling the jump from 24 to 32 when you get to set #3 of TGU, maybe just do #3 and 4 with 24kg. Find the position you are least comfortable with and repeat it with the 24kg. So, roll to back, then roll to elbow, return to back, to elbow, to back, however many times it takes to train your brain to

Lots of reps with the 24 at your sticking point will get you thru it. Let your discomfort be your guide and attack the portions of the movement that are weakest.

Personally I'd say going back to the 16 after you can do 10 reps of 24kg is not worth your time.

<snip>
Personally I'd say going back to the 16 after you can do 10 reps of 24kg is not worth your time.

I'm not so sure about this. Even though I pretty much just use mostly my 32KG now, there are times when I drop back to the 16KG for a day or two. Even "going through the motions" is better than nothing at all.

For example, this summer has been super busy for me. I've just been happy to get in two sessions a week. Any more than that and it's left me drained. And some of those days I'm playing hurt due to other physical activities. I can increase the intensity with swings by substituting snatches or high pulls for a day, or upping the reps one day. Same w/ TGU's. Do them in reverse, or back to back reps, or pauses at stages...or a mix of all three. Weighted yoga, indeed. I'd use the 16KG for a day or two that week and then feel a lot better coming back to the 32KG.

So in Enter the Kettlebell, the updated program minimum is two days of swings and two days of Turkish get ups. Combined this makes pretty much two complete s&s sessions per week. Personally, I find because I have an active occupation and unpredictable schedule I end up doing S&S once to three times a week as time and energy allows. I've found taking more days off (mobility and stretching is still done on off days) has caused me to effortlessly drop bodyfat, my mood is more content and I'm itching to get that next session in.

Is this the sweet spot of productive and sustainable training rather than slogging your way to the gym even when you don't want to or have much energy?

So in Enter the Kettlebell, the updated program minimum is two days of swings and two days of Turkish get ups. Combined this makes pretty much two complete s&s sessions per week. Personally, I find because I have an active occupation and unpredictable schedule I end up doing S&S once to three times a week as time and energy allows. I've found taking more days off (mobility and stretching is still done on off days) has caused me to effortlessly drop bodyfat, my mood is more content and I'm itching to get that next session in.

Is this the sweet spot of productive and sustainable training rather than slogging your way to the gym even when you don't want to or have much energy?
I'd like to discuss this more. I struggle with the 5-6 days a week. I'd love to hear more about people's results who do it 2-3 days a week, especially when working with the lighter bells (16, 20, 24).

I'd like to discuss this more. I struggle with the 5-6 days a week. I'd love to hear more about people's results who do it 2-3 days a week, especially when working with the lighter bells (16, 20, 24).
In my experience I’ve found lower frequency works best as the weight increases. I did 6 days a week working in the 20kg, then 5-6 working the 24, 4 days working in the 28 and now 3 days working in the 32kg. I’m the early days the extra practice helps refine form. As the weight gets heavier it takes a bit more recovery. I’m also doing snatch test training 3 days a week however b

I think 2-3 times a week with lighter bells is just not enough to make much progress. But S&S is a very flexible program you can stay on for a looooong time. So try to do it 5-6 times a week, but if you have weeks where you only manage to do 2-3 sessions, it’s totally fine. Train 2-6 times a week but set a goal of doing at least 15 sessions a month for example.

Back
Top Bottom