all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tactical Fitness for civilian.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'll throw out that this is essentially what Tactical Barbell is all about, since it's meant for police, SWAT, etc. Depending on your unit, there's different goals and paths to take, but the series has a lot of good info in it and plans to get there.
Is this only barbell training og also bw training?

The plans are barbell training for pure strength, and mix of bodyweight, kettlebells, any other modality for conditioning. If you do the Black protocol, it's very similar to many StrongFirst type of plans with 2 lifts per day, only 20 minutes or so for pure strength work, and you add in conditioning in both easy LISS and high intensity work which could be as litle as 10 minutes, or if doing LISS could be 60 minutes +

It has programming for bodyweight, but it is barbell focused.
The last cycle I ran of it I used two bodyweight and two barbell lifts and it worked well. The one arm push-ups kind of stalled out though but it was 12 weeks in and that kind of thing is expected.

What would be good fitness goals for a civilian that wants to be in military /SF shape?
I want exactly what you would recc a sf operator going over seas.
thoughts?
Being fitter is better, but being balanced is best. I would look at a couple areas with a couple "levels" in several categories with your overall level being your worst level in any event. The goal is Level 3 in all categories. If you can meet and maintain level 3 in all categories, your tactical fitness is OK.

Aerobic Endurance
Level 1 - run 5 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 2 - run 6 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 3 - run 7 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 4 - run 8 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)

Ruck Capability
Level 1 - ruck 9 miles with 45lbs in 3 hours
Level 2 - ruck 9 miles with 65lbs in 3 hours
Level 3 - ruck 12 miles with 45lbs in 3 hours
Level 4 - ruck 12 miles with 65lbs in 3 hours

Farmer's Carry
Level 1 - 75lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 2 - 100lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 3 - 125lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 4 - 150lbs / hand x 30 yards

Anaerobic Run
Level 1 - run 400m in 100s
Level 2 - run 400m in 90s
Level 3 - run 400m in 80s
Level 4 - run 400m in 70s

Strength Endurance (one continuous set)
Level 1 - 40 pushups / 10 pull-ups
Level 2 - 60 pushups / 15 pull-ups
Level 3 - 80 pushups / 20 pull-ups
Level 4 - 80 pushups / 20 pull-ups with a 24lbs

Maximal Strength
Level 1 - Squat 275lbs / Press 185lbs / Deadlift 365lbs
Level 2 - Squat 315lbs / Press 205lbs / Deadlift 405lbs
Level 3 - Squat 365lbs / Press 225lbs / Deadlift 455lbs
Level 4 - Squat 405lbs / Press 245lbs / Deadlift 505lbs
- If you want to do this based on bodyweight, Level 4 would be 2x BW squat, 1.25 x BW press, and a 2.5 x BW deadlift, and Level 1 would be 1.25x BW squat, 0.9 x BW press, and 1.75x BW deadlift.

Hello,

Below is an article written by @Eric Frohardt , former StrongFirst CEO and fomer SEAL: Preparing for BUD/S | StrongFirst

In the article, he mentions another article, written by Stew Smith: All You Want to Know About BUD/S Training

However, mentioning "SF" can be tricky, because you will not prepare the same way if you want to do SEAL training or Green Beret, the former being more swimming dominant, the latter being more rucking dominant. The common trait would be running.

Reaching these kind of physical performances may require a lot of time and dedication. Maintaining them may also be quite hard...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Buy Tactical Barbell 1 and 2. Read them.

The author was (is?) a military and apperantly knows his s*** since TB has worked for so many - including me even though I only used the conditioning guidelines - both black and green).

Did I say buy Tactical Barbell 1 and 2?

If the training on this site to be in Military/SF shape isn't what you're looking for I would suggest Mountain Tactical. You pay a few for the membership, you'll find what you're looking for.

Being fitter is better, but being balanced is best. I would look at a couple areas with a couple "levels" in several categories with your overall level being your worst level in any event. The goal is Level 3 in all categories. If you can meet and maintain level 3 in all categories, your tactical fitness is OK.

Aerobic Endurance
Level 1 - run 5 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 2 - run 6 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 3 - run 7 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)
Level 4 - run 8 miles in 1 hr (easy, talk test/zone 2)

Ruck Capability
Level 1 - ruck 9 miles with 45lbs in 3 hours
Level 2 - ruck 9 miles with 65lbs in 3 hours
Level 3 - ruck 12 miles with 45lbs in 3 hours
Level 4 - ruck 12 miles with 65lbs in 3 hours

Farmer's Carry
Level 1 - 75lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 2 - 100lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 3 - 125lbs / hand x 30 yards
Level 4 - 150lbs / hand x 30 yards

Anaerobic Run
Level 1 - run 400m in 100s
Level 2 - run 400m in 90s
Level 3 - run 400m in 80s
Level 4 - run 400m in 70s

Strength Endurance (one continuous set)
Level 1 - 40 pushups / 10 pull-ups
Level 2 - 60 pushups / 15 pull-ups
Level 3 - 80 pushups / 20 pull-ups
Level 4 - 80 pushups / 20 pull-ups with a 24lbs

Maximal Strength
Level 1 - Squat 275lbs / Press 185lbs / Deadlift 365lbs
Level 2 - Squat 315lbs / Press 205lbs / Deadlift 405lbs
Level 3 - Squat 365lbs / Press 225lbs / Deadlift 455lbs
Level 4 - Squat 405lbs / Press 245lbs / Deadlift 505lbs
- If you want to do this based on bodyweight, Level 4 would be 2x BW squat, 1.25 x BW press, and a 2.5 x BW deadlift, and Level 1 would be 1.25x BW squat, 0.9 x BW press, and 1.75x BW deadlift.
Im curious: how did you come up with these standards?

Im curious: how did you come up with these standards?
To be clear I have never been SOF and selection is a very different set of criteria.

I came up with these standards based on what I feel would have benefitted me "back in the day," from talking with friends that were SOF, and from my understanding of the needs of similar occupations.

Hello,

If one is at level 4 in all of @John K 's standards, in addition to tactical abilities (shooting, etc...) then I guess you're a machine !

What I like about it is that one can build some sort of programme for each "abilities". For instance strength-endurance can be worked using GTG, etc...

There is also some cultural component here: in France, at least for Selection (no matter the unit), most of applicants use bodyweight. Weight training is reduced to the bare minimum and mostly used as an injury prevention tool and a "conveniency" tool (hinge work for example). They seem to stick to the basics: high reps push ups, pull ups, core, running.

Below is what I took from a former operator when I did a "bootcamp" just to see how it goes:
Monday: 20k cycling, 150 pull ups, 10 x 4m rope climb (arm only), 500 abs
Tuesday: 450 push ups, 150 dips, 150 squats with body armour, 500 abs
Wednesday: 150 box jumps, 150 squats with body armour, 150 pull ups, 500 abs
Thursday: 450 push ups, 150 push ups, 5 x1 minute wall sit with body armour, 500 abs
Friday: 10km cyling, 150 pull ups, 10 x 4m rope climb (arm only), 500 abs
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

He currently does cyling but you can replace with running / rucking. Volume is high, but manageable. It represents fairly well what guys use to do to get selected (in France), based on all the books I've read and podcasts I've listened.

On deployement, one may end up in a zone where "long runs" are close to impossible (risky, etc...) or weight training is impossible. One aspect to consider here is adaptation to the terrain. CrossFit can come handy to a certain extent.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I’m an Air Force flyer who God blessed with the opportunity to train informally with Combat Control Team (CCT) cadre for over 12 years. If you aren’t familiar, please look them up. The thing they stressed was mindset. Their goal was to get people to quit because you absolutely cannot have a quitter anywhere on a team. PERIOD. The dozens of instructors I knew/met were adamant. They said, and I saw, that if a candidate was determined to make it you couldn’t set the bar too high: they were going to clear it. Some, no matter how low you set the bar, wouldn’t bother to step over it.

Their gym ceiling was ~30’ high. One wall was black with an ENORMOUS yellow
NFQ
NO quitters, indeed…

Which is…?
I won’t speak for @Steve W. but…. My perspective is… that there are some things in this world that there is no ‘just like’; there either is the ‘Real Thing’ or there isn’t.
Yes, more or less.

The point of being fit for special operations is to carry out special operations, duty that strikes me as fundamentally different in nature (not just degree) from civilian experience.

Speaking as a civilian, I would be very reluctant and reticent about comparing my hobby to any sort of combat service.

I won’t speak for @Steve W. but…. My perspective is… that there are some things in this world that there is no ‘just like’; there either is the ‘Real Thing’ or there isn’t.

SOF, High End Alpinism, are a few that come to mind…

The absolute best way to experience these things is to sign up…
I respect both you and Steve a lot in terms of your contributions here, and I’ll wait for Steve W. to respond with his perspective, but I see nothing wrong with trying to have the physical and mental conditioning of SOF operator or high end alpinist without actually doing those things. A lot of people are precluded from those endeavors due to commitments, family, medical conditions, etc. I for one cannot do SOF or high end alpinism because of a seizure disorder. Why not try at least to be in as bad-a#@ of shape as possible within the constraints of one’s own life?

SOF, High End Alpinism, are a few that come to mind…

The absolute best way to experience these things is to sign up…
I think Pavel T at one time said that just because you can out-fitness a SOF guy don't think you can do his job.

I think what we can do though is to understand that an "operator" is the original "hybrid athlete" and we can strive to emulate that by developing those qualities - a large aerobic engine, anaerobic capacity, strength, and strength-endurance. It won't make us an operator, but it will develop a physically capable (and likely healthy) person. Some people emulate pro athletes or bodybuilders, emulating "operators" isn't that different.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom