all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The King-Sized Killer

Having said this, I'm gonna take a break from pressing as often as I do and start the KSK on Monday with the 32 as I wanna jump start some loss of chub! It worked well for me in that regard in 2019!
OK @John Grahill …see you Monday ! I’m going to do this with a 28kg bell. Also for the next 9 weeks i’m only doing “drinks” on Saturday night. Minimal Carbs at dinner. I for the most part do Geoff’s “ 24 hour diet” and it works.

I will attempt to walk as much possible after snatching. I am 43 yo. and have my body fat percentage on the ropes right now. I’m hoping the next 9 weeks will deliver a knock out punch to the body fat thats left.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I dont like to mess with Geoff’s programs so I’m either going to run KSK with a 32, or The Giant with 1.0-1.1-1.2 snatching a single 32- Although snatching instead of C& P may already count as messing with Geoff’s program.
To be fair, whenever I have exchanged messages with Geoff, he was always open to suggestions of trying something different with his programming. I asked if I could do Snatches with his Swing Hard program. He said yes. Similarly if you understand the essence of what the main program is then you tweak it to make it still work for you. If you look at Giant, I would expect it to be a more strength focused programming. Especially 1.0. So to make it work for Snatches, you might want a 'heavyish' bell. I would expect it to still work for you very well.

If you think about how KSK is set up, I really like that it takes you through what is a heavy bell and makes you (organically) own it. The first phase builds strength with plenty of volume using ladders. I'm sure many would agree here that its great to build volume using ladders. Then slowly the program adds more longer sets and before you know it you are doing sets of 15 and 12. If you can do sets of 15 with a 32, I would think that it is pretty awesome, considering you start off with a bell that you can snatch 7-8 times per hand.

PS - I haven't seen anywhere in the program that it requires no rest between switching of hands. Not sure if I am missing anything.

PS - I haven't seen anywhere in the program that it requires no rest between switching of hands. Not sure if I am missing anything.
In KSK 2.0 and LCOD 2.0 it says when picking a bell to pick one that you can do 25 reps per hand without setting it down between hands, and then again to do your best to not rest between hands during the program. KSK and LCOD 1.0 don't specify either of these requirements.

In KSK 2.0 and LCOD 2.0 it says when picking a bell to pick one that you can do 25 reps per hand without setting it down between hands, and then again to do your best to not rest between hands during the program. KSK and LCOD 1.0 don't specify either of these requirements.
Indeed KSK2.0 does that but I was wondering if that was the case with KSK1.0 too !!

Yeah I wonder about this too. Anyway I’m starting the program tomorrow and I intend on putting the Bell down between sides….at least for phase1 . Rep number 1 is a weakness for me and I would like to spend time dialing it in. Beside parking the bell that many times does n’t make anything easier for the rep scheme in phase 1.

I am unsure about how I will run the rest of the program. Whether I park after each side or switch hands on the fly will depend on things.

If you think about how KSK is set up, I really like that it takes you through what is a heavy bell and makes you (organically) own it. The first phase builds strength with plenty of volume using ladders. I'm sure many would agree here that its great to build volume using ladders. Then slowly the program adds more longer sets and before you know it you are doing sets of 15 and 12. If you can do sets of 15 with a 32, I would think that it is pretty awesome, considering you start off with a bell that you can snatch 7-8 times per hand.
This is the idea.

Rest, or not, between hands. Different loading.

You could run this program 3 times:
1. Rest between sides.
2. Ad lib - rest or not, based on feel.
3. No rest between sides.

Hope this helps.

OK @John Grahill …see you Monday ! I’m going to do this with a 28kg bell. Also for the next 9 weeks i’m only doing “drinks” on Saturday night. Minimal Carbs at dinner. I for the most part do Geoff’s “ 24 hour diet” and it works.

I will attempt to walk as much possible after snatching. I am 43 yo. and have my body fat percentage on the ropes right now. I’m hoping the next 9 weeks will deliver a knock out punch to the body fat thats left.

Cheers!

Adam,

Geoff put out one of his comprehensive freebies on dieting a couple weeks back: the permanent weight loss solution. Did you get it in his newsletter? In a nutshell, he puts together all the best ideas in a weekly program rather than only one approach: fasting, low carb, regular carb, high protein, cheat days to reset metabolism. Made a lot of sense to me.

Yes indeed. For people who live in places like the US South or me in Asia, this is not a trivial programming concern. Summer is bodyweight/walking/rucking for me.

The sticky humid summer here in Manila makes it challenging so have a face towel and some chalk on standby

Yes indeed. For people who live in places like the US South or me in Asia, this is not a trivial programming concern. Summer is bodyweight/walking/rucking for me.
There's a good 6-8 months of the year I don't need chalk because it is cold enough my hands just don't get that sweaty.
There's also a good 4-6 months of the year I have to bring kettlebells inside so that they aren't too cold to hold. (Unlike water, metal can get much colder than freezing...)
There's also a good 2-4 weeks of the year where it is so cold that my hands hurt and I have to manage how much work I do at a time so I can stick my hands back somewhere warm.
It is all about managing trade offs! :)

Just thought I chime in and mention that I ran week one putting the bell down between each hand. I set a modest goal of 120 reps per session. I did nt wear a heart rate monitor for this, in fact I did all 3 days without even changing into gym clothes LOL!

Day 1: 120 reps
Day 2 : 96 reps (see below)
Day 3 : 120 reps

Minute 20-30 is spent doing explosive push-ups in sets of 7. I’m good for 8-9 sets in 10 minutes.

I love the combo of snatch and pushups.

I have been nursing some lumbar region and hamstring discomfort since before starting the program. This effected my performance, despite feeling easy from a conditioning perspective, the lifts were n’t feeling great. I am comfortable enough with 28kg that I can vary the speed of the snatch . I am more than capable of ‘sprinting’ with this bell , but I opted for I slightly more
relaxed pace. On Day 2 , I called it at 16 minutes but was on pace to hit my 120 reps. Hamstring discomfort said ‘stop’.

I skipped Hockey on Saturday and took an extra day off today in hopes of KO’ing this back discomfort. I just did some deadbugs, glute bridges, and marches. Will see if I can go at it tomorrow. If my back feels off tomorrow, I will just push the sled, do some pushups and pullups for the rest of the week and restart the program next week.

Will post an update in a week or 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom