all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Quest for New Year’s Weight Loss with HIRT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Err, why the dishtowel?

If I want to curl KBs, I just hold the handle...
I don't really like curling holding the handles when using over 32k, the bell gets in the way, grip has to be readjusted and it feels like too much front delt and/or forearm involvement. Also the wrists are locked into an unnatural position.
I would use the dishtowel method but I have dumbbells, I much prefer them for hammer curls over the kettlebell.
In the end it comes down to personal preference, curls and ring pushups tend to tie my problem shoulder together and they're good for LGN as well.
For me using the kb for biceps is like using a pipe wrench to hammer nails... to each his own though. :)

I did not see this mentioned by might be good to get very clear plan for diet after you reach your goal. In general, "diets" don't work because people go back to doing what they were doing prior to, exactly what put the excess on in the first place. I've been reading research and self experimenting for years (pre-diabetes was the prime motivation) and what seems to me to be true, is that a pretty wide range of options will work and be very healthy AND every one of them involves near zero highly processed, manufactured, "food" and not drinking calories. In other words, whole foods, minimally processed, as close as possible to how they come in from nature. Some people need to get into a smaller box than that but for most that's enough to do the job.

Learning and applying the principles of calorie density while centering one’s diet on foods with intact fiber will go a long way.

For me using the kb for biceps is like using a pipe wrench to hammer nails... to each his own though. :)

I hear you there. I don't really train curls, so any time I do them with KBs, it's either during a goblet squat (holding 2 horns, so totally different), or I get some weird urge to do concentration curls while watching a movie or similar.

I've tried using resistance bands for curls, but it feels weird.

If I really wanted to do them, I'd use my barbell....but that's hard from the couch. :)

Why not just go into ketosis for a challenge like this? Why do any hypertrophy training to increase any type of mass for a challenge like this?

Why not just go into ketosis for a challenge like this? Why do any hypertrophy training to increase any type of mass for a challenge like this?
That's what I was thinking, I can see doing some strength preservation, low rep stuff.. But hypertrophy equates to weight/muscle gain, though while in a 1000 calorie/day deficit I doubt this will happen.
That begs the next question, why choose HIRT? I would do swings, and then more swings, all at a moderate weight, coupled with LED in large doses.

Getups will preserve strength pretty well, but I wouldn't go too heavy with any lift during the process..

+1
I saw some great fat loss during a period of A+A hill sprints of ~7sec w/2-3min recovery for 6-20 repeats. Are HIRT repeats getting into too long of a duration creating water and creatine storage and increased weight?
Yes! There are many ways to slice and dice fat, I was also thinking of GN's kb burn or burn 2, firing type 2 fibers enough to stoke fat burn along with mucho LED would shred fat from any carcass..

Hill sprints would be a fantastic tool to stoke the fire. Tempo runs with walks too.

There are many ways to slice and dice fat, I was also thinking of GN's kb burn or burn 2, firing type 2 fibers enough to stoke fat burn along with mucho LED would shred fat from any carcass.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but when someone says "I want to do this, what do you think?" I think it tends to be more productive to help refine the original idea than to start bringing up completely new ones (unless the original idea is total garbage ;)). If the OP had said "I want to lose weight fast, what's a good way to do that?" then my suggestions would be different than what they were.
The OP has a plan to lose weight using caloric restriction, walking, and HIRT/A+A training.
We know caloric restriction will produce weight loss, so long as the body doesn't down-regulate metabolism too much.
We know that most hypertrophy programs (like the suggested HIRT training) will produce fat loss if executed with insufficient calories, so long as the body does not get over-stressed.
We know that A+A and walking do a fairly good job of using fat stores, especially walking. However, the A+A training does run the risk of adding too much training volume.
It seems that the main potential stumbling block for the OP is the possibility of pushing too hard and causing his body to tighten it's grip on his fat stores. As long as he can avoid that by decreasing training volume and increasing calories when appropriate, there's no reason to think that his plan won't work.

every one of them involves near zero highly processed, manufactured, "food" and not drinking calories. In other words, whole foods, minimally processed, as close as possible to how they come in from nature. Some people need to get into a smaller box than that but for most that's enough to do the job.
And a hard +1 to to this.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but when someone says "I want to do this, what do you think?" I think it tends to be more productive to help refine the original idea than to start bringing up completely new ones (unless the original idea is total garbage ;)). If the OP had said "I want to lose weight fast, what's a good way to do that?" then my suggestions would be different than what they were.
The OP has a plan to lose weight using caloric restriction, walking, and HIRT/A+A training.
We know caloric restriction will produce weight loss, so long as the body doesn't down-regulate metabolism too much.
We know that most hypertrophy programs (like the suggested HIRT training) will produce fat loss if executed with insufficient calories, so long as the body does not get over-stressed.
We know that A+A and walking do a fairly good job of using fat stores, especially walking. However, the A+A training does run the risk of adding too much training volume.
It seems that the main potential stumbling block for the OP is the possibility of pushing too hard and causing his body to tighten it's grip on his fat stores. As long as he can avoid that by decreasing training volume and increasing calories when appropriate, there's no reason to think that his plan won't work.

I thought about this earlier in the thread, the OP has a plan and I wished him luck..

but here we are at #30 posts into the thread, I think Brandon has a plan that may work, depending, as you said, on many factors.

I think @Bro Mo and I were bouncing ideas back and forth, not to change the OP's mind but, for me, I was mostly thinking of what I would suggest to somebody in the same circumstance who didn't have a plan.

I've never worked with somebody trying to lose weight that fast and on a set schedule. That fact changes many things and puts up some serious red flags in my mind. I'm very curious to see how Brandon does with his plan, I'm rooting for him to be successful.

I did not see this mentioned by might be good to get very clear plan for diet after you reach your goal. In general, "diets" don't work because people go back to doing what they were doing prior to, exactly what put the excess on in the first place. I've been reading research and self experimenting for years (pre-diabetes was the prime motivation) and what seems to me to be true, is that a pretty wide range of options will work and be very healthy AND every one of them involves near zero highly processed, manufactured, "food" and not drinking calories. In other words, whole foods, minimally processed, as close as possible to how they come in from nature. Some people need to get into a smaller box than that but for most that's enough to do the job.

Definitely plan to keep the diet up! It's been a goal for a long time to cut out the processed and beer - I could call this my catalyst.

I prefer the way it mimics the feel of cable curls. Plus, I wanted to do a lot of curls to get in a good heart rate. I like to think I'm pretty strong, but I couldn't curl 24kg all day.

I don't do a lot of curls, but when I do that's my preferred method. Also how I do my overhead tricep extensions, with the bell suspended behind me.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the input, and I'm glad to see some discussion sparked!

I chose HIRT because, in his articles, Dr Marker mentioned that his trial subjects "complained" about the body composition changes. In his Hypertrophy article, Dr Marker wrote:

"We heard 'complaints' from male and female participants that their clothing did not fit as well. Shoulders grew bigger, arms were leaner, and waists grew smaller."

I chose to alternate with his Conditioning plan because he wrote that "the program may not feel challenging, but it is optimizing your energy systems for maximum fat loss and muscle gain. If you feel like you are bored or this program is too easy, then you are probably doing it correctly."

Both premises sound pretty enchanting to the would-be fat torcher. Throw in the fact that Dr Marker created the Conditioning program while working with Mr. Tsatsouline, coupled with my favorite exercises of all time (swings and presses), and I figured that I had a cocktail for an amazing program. As intense as the program sounds, Dr Marker's trials were only 6 weeks anyways. Sounded like a match.

I couldn't pick a program that relied on sprints or any other exercises because I know myself well enough to know that I simply wouldn't do them. I'd peter out after two weeks, competition or not.

Someone noted that the hypertrophy might cause excess creatine and water retention - I risk I considered, but was willing to take. If I go thru 6 more weeks and don't lose as much scale weight, but still have inches of my waist and enhanced body composition, I'm still a winner anyways, right?

This ^.

Watch out for the diet, but if you can stick to it and burn a good bit of glucose on an overall calorie deficit, the body is going to absolutely scorch fat during recovery.

Might have to tinker with the loading/rep/volume variation suggestions depending on how OP feels, some of the HIRT sessions could run nearly an hour - you'll be feelin it and well into the next day.

This ^.

Watch out for the diet, but if you can stick to it and burn a good bit of glucose on an overall calorie deficit, the body is going to absolutely scorch fat during recovery.

Might have to tinker with the loading/rep/volume variation suggestions depending on how OP feels, some of the HIRT sessions could run nearly an hour - you'll be feelin it and well into the next day.

Agree with adjusting the loads/reps with the hypertrophy. I've had to adjust those on the fly already.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the input, and I'm glad to see some discussion sparked!

I chose HIRT because, in his articles, Dr Marker mentioned that his trial subjects "complained" about the body composition changes. In his Hypertrophy article, Dr Marker wrote:

"We heard 'complaints' from male and female participants that their clothing did not fit as well. Shoulders grew bigger, arms were leaner, and waists grew smaller."

I chose to alternate with his Conditioning plan because he wrote that "the program may not feel challenging, but it is optimizing your energy systems for maximum fat loss and muscle gain. If you feel like you are bored or this program is too easy, then you are probably doing it correctly."

Both premises sound pretty enchanting to the would-be fat torcher. Throw in the fact that Dr Marker created the Conditioning program while working with Mr. Tsatsouline, coupled with my favorite exercises of all time (swings and presses), and I figured that I had a cocktail for an amazing program. As intense as the program sounds, Dr Marker's trials were only 6 weeks anyways. Sounded like a match.

I couldn't pick a program that relied on sprints or any other exercises because I know myself well enough to know that I simply wouldn't do them. I'd peter out after two weeks, competition or not.

Someone noted that the hypertrophy might cause excess creatine and water retention - I risk I considered, but was willing to take. If I go thru 6 more weeks and don't lose as much scale weight, but still have inches of my waist and enhanced body composition, I'm still a winner anyways, right?
Your logic is sound I believe, and your right, either way it goes it's a win for you!

Both premises sound pretty enchanting to the would-be fat torcher. Throw in the fact that Dr Marker created the Conditioning program while working with Mr. Tsatsouline

I have a stupid question.

Is this Conditioning work you refer to a book? Article?

I have a competition meet coming up later in the year and will have to weigh in and make weight. Anything that can help with the double whammy of peaking lifts and making weight at the same time in the final few weeks before the meet would be helpful.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom