all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Quest for New Year’s Weight Loss with HIRT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yeah, I'm not sure how well this would work with my barbell lifts. Heavy deadlifts already take me 2-3 days to recover from and I eat more than normal the day after deadlifting to help that.

For swings and TGUs, my guess would be one could maintain whatever current capabilities one has, but not progress them.

My swings actually feel as strong as ever. I used to get just shy of barfing after 25 power swings of a 40kg. Now... only on the third or fourth round.

Presses are definitely NOT progressing, but they've stayed about the same.

My swings actually feel as strong as ever. I used to get just shy of barfing after 25 power swings of a 40kg. Now... only on the third or fourth round.

Yikes....I've never felt like barfing from swings.

I lost 30kg in 3-4 months long ago by walking for hours a day and not over-eating. I didn't starve myself though. Starving is dumb and will make a man quite sick or worse. Cut out sugary drinks and sugar generally unless it's in some regular food you eat. In any case, walking is what I've found the best for weight loss and frankly for overall practical health, fitness and wellbeing.

In terms of losing weight with S&S, nope. I gained 2 kg.

Last edited:
I lost 30kg in 2 months long ago by walking for hours a day and not over-eating. I didn't starve myself though. Starving is dumb and will make a man quite sick or worse. Cut out sugary drinks and sugar generally unless it's in some regular food you eat. In any case, walking is what I've found the best for weight loss and frankly for overall practical health, fitness and wellbeing.

WHOA! 30 kg in 8 weeks...that's incredibly fast 3.75 kg / 7.7 lbs a week.

If my math is right, that's about a 27,000 calorie deficit per week, or 3850 calorie deficit per day...

WHOA! 30 kg in 8 weeks...that's incredibly fast 3.75 kg / 7.7 lbs a week.

If my math is right, that's about a 27,000 calorie deficit per week, or 3850 calorie deficit per day...
Or maybe it was 4 months. I had gotten in the habit of eating greasy hamburgers and not exercising at all in my first year as a full time worker. I was stressed out completely and terribly unhappy. I ended up actually luckily being laid off after 5 months and then only did part time work for a while and ended up going back to school actually. In any case, I ended up weighing 130kg! My normal weight back then was a mere 92kg. In any case, since I was underemployed for a bunch of months, I walked all over the city for maybe 4 hours a day or even longer. I remember actually carrying dumbbells around with me, which I'm not sure in retrospect really did anything. I also remember not at all trying to starve myself, but I didn't overeat. I started judo again too after having been off for 5 months. 130kg is not my natural weight, and I think that simply not overeating combined with lots of walking did the trick.

As far as simply losing weight, I remember also cutting weight for judo competitions, and it's amazing how much weight you can lose if you want to in a short amount of time, but this is essentially starvation, which will not work long term as you'll die from malnutrition, hahaha! The funny thing is I hated suffering like this so much for 2-3 days before competitions, that I changed my strategy to one of actually gaining weight so as to be at the higher end of my weight division. I was also better nourished and more energetic, and I did better after changing my strategy to this.

In any case, I think starvation is dangerous. It's one thing to cut back on overeating and to reduce things down to moderate amounts, keeping in mind all the food groups etc, and yet another to be impatient and to try to lose ridiculous amounts of weight quickly through malnourishing yourself. As I understand it, your fat reserves provide you primarily with mere energy, and not nutrition. You need actual food for real nutrition.

I recall twice in my life I didn't eat solid food for a week from gastroenteritis. I drank poweraid type stuff which has electrolytes and sugar. I remember gaining a pound actually, hahaha!

In any case, I think starvation diets are courting death. Not worth it. Better to just simply get more active, and to consciously not overdo the eating, reduce sugar a bit but still eat to satiety.

I just looked back at my original post. I actually meant to write in 3 months, not 2. That was a typo. I corrected it now. In any case, it might have been closer to 4 months in total.

I heard a few questions about the HIRT program.

Is the homophone of HIRT / hurt entirely accidental, or was there some chuckling over that? ;)

Personal learning for the thread:

Heavy deadlifts + HIRT = no bueno.

Even with a rest day between (at least for me).

Aside from the performance impact of both stomping on your posterior chain, there is the ravenous day after heavy deadlift hunger, which HIRT makes even worse.

This isn't an issue for me with the far more gentle S&S. The lesson seems to be either pick HIRT or heavy DLs, but not both.

Last edited:
Completely agree on deadlifts. I think this plan could maintain deadlift strength with very few lifts. Maybe a few singles after completing HIRT just to make sure you have the neural connections.

I heard a few questions about the HIRT program. Everyone here seems to understand, but I created a video to go along with it:

Great discussion!

Hey Craig. Thanks for the video. Why are the presses so fast? I can understand fast up, but not slower descent?

Finished up the program and the weight loss competition today.

I didn't win. Someone much heavier than me went in and lost about 10% body weight. The word on the street was he pulled the keto diet, and I think he went from about 285 to 256. I'm glad he won. He looks pretty happy and - him being the same height as me - he was probably pretty uncomfortable at that weight.

In ~7 weeks, I went (according to the scale the nurse was using, wearing shirt and jeans but no shoes) from 245 to 235. So 10 pounds lighter.

On my waist, I went from 41 inches to 38 inches, so about 3 inches lost on waist. I didn't measure my shoulders, but they feel a bit more toned.

With my workouts, I was about 65% compliant from my original plan. I noticed towards middle that switching back and forth between the conditioning and hypertrophy every day, both workouts were losing quality. With 3 weeks left I pretty much dropped the conditioning, focused on they hypertrophy, and made sure to get 10K steps everyday. I think - like many have said here - walking has a much bigger impact on weight loss than we realize.

As far as dieting goes, I think the potato hack definitely gave me a good jump start when I stalled. My microbiome feels a lot better and I've definitely cut way back on the animal based proteins. I wish I had come to this conclusion much earlier. I'm hardly a vegetarian, but I have seriously upped the beans and we use meat more for flavor and color than we were doing. My wife is pretty pleased.

Doing Dr. Marker's HIRT for Hypertrophy plan has definitely increased my work capacity. That's what I noticed the most. At first I hated cranking out those 25 swings with the bulldog kettlebell, and now it's a breeze. My legs and especially my core - tho still under a layer of chub - are rock solid. I didn't know my core could even get that muscular. When I play with my little boy, I have to be careful not to throw him too high.

Attached are some before and after pics.

I didn't win my competition, but I will claim the spiritual victory. I put on a pair of shorts this morning that I bought last summer thinking I would slim my way into. I never did and next thing I knew it was winter. Now that it's March, they're a little loose.

TLDR - Lesson's learned:

Craig's HIRT for Hypertrophy is an awesome program for body composition changes, tho I think it had minimal effect on my scale weight. I think we can all agree tho which is more important.

10,000 steps a day are the easiest way to increase activity level to have an impact on scale weight.

Chicken breast after chicken breast after chicken breast is not for everyone for building muscle and losing fat. Carbs and and plant based protein sources are more effective for some - at least they are for me. Thank you @vegpedlr . I feel a lot better all around switching out most of my meat for plants. Apparently 3 days of potatoes will teach you a thing or two.

I encourage anyone to try Craig's program if they are looking for body comp changes. Just like his article promised, my waist shrunk and my clothes fit differently. My favorite t-shirt now looks baggy.

Thanks for keeping up with me! Best!

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 46
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 47
Hey @brandonc501 congrats on your progress! On Feb 11th you said your presses stalled out. Do you think it had something to do with caloric deficit? Did you see them increase after you abandoned the alternate day conditioning? Did you execute them as fast as Craig does on the video he posted on your thread?

Nice work @brandonc501 !

What’s next?

I've always wanted to try Pavel's 5 Week Single Kettlebell routine. After slinging around the bulldog I think I could pull that off with the 24kg and tone up some more before beach weather. It's similar enough to what I've been doing that it's a great piggy back, but different enough that it won't overdue anything.

I'm ready to bow out of 25 reps of 88lb swings for a minute, that's for sure.

Hey @brandonc501 congrats on your progress! On Feb 11th you said your presses stalled out. Do you think it had something to do with caloric deficit? Did you see them increase after you abandoned the alternate day conditioning? Did you execute them as fast as Craig does on the video he posted on your thread?

My presses totally stalled out because of the caloric deficit. I'm ready to build my calorie intake back up to something still in a deficit, but not nearly as strict. I want to own the bulldog by summer. I'm thinking something in the realm of 2200kcal a day will get me where I want.

Pressing power (as well as will power) definitely increased after abandoning the extra swings every other day. Too much of a good thing, I suppose.

And presses with the 24kg were almost as fast as what Craig was doing, but heavier ones with the 32 were much more of a slow grind.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom