all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Quest for New Year’s Weight Loss with HIRT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sorry to tell you. But you can't ride 2 horses. To lose fat without muscle you can only lose a pound or two a week. If you have a good amount of BF already you might be experiencing recomping where you could be gaining lean mass. You can always sell out and just cut calories and and exercise to burn calories and you'll lose weight a lot faster but I doubt you'll be happy after losing lean mass and then putting your metabolism is hyperfat gaining mode as soon as you stop diet.

Time for a genuine inwinqu for advice from the Strongfirst community:

First, the good news: In the past 3-ish weeks, I have lost a few pounds, lowered my blood pressure by 4 points, and list an inch off my waist. I've also experienced don't nice body comp changes: the waist, definition around biceps and upper chest, and definitely thicker wrists.

The not great news: I'm not losing weight nearly at the rate I intended, which I could normally live with just fine (I AM pleased with my results), but I'm not set to win this weight loss competition.

The race isn't over yet, however. I have all of February left to come in for the kill and $400 cash and bragging rights.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should I keep doing what I'm doing and cross my fingers? Should I switch to just swings? Should I increase swing weight from 24kg to 32kg?

Should I change up diet? I don't want to lose muscle, so I'm iffy to try anything that compromises protein.

Or, realistically, am I on the right path for a victory that gets me everything I want in the end.... but just not winning this competition?

Personally I'd say you might be better off staying the course and put the contest out of your mind.

To hit the sort of weight loss that was planned in the space of time you need to do a lot more volume and include more glycolytic work.

The program you're following is designed to get you there with minimum stress, so spreads the adaptive response out across a longer timeframe.

For me, I'd increase protein, drop fat intake, keep low fat carbs moderate to high. Grind intervals of some sort at high intensity interspersed with LSD work should be the bulk of your training time.

You'll get there doing what you're doing but won't be happening at a blistering pace.

To win, I would:
  1. Get into ketosis
  2. Drink lots of water, especially first thing in the morning
  3. Walk 30min before work, at lunch, and in the evening
  4. Every other day, do 5x 2H swings @ 32kg every 30 sec for 5 sets followed by 5 minutes of jogging, walking, swimming, rowing, elliptical, etc.
  5. Few days out, start dehydrating if necessary

I reread the OP to refresh my memory. The problem is, you’re trying to play two different games simultaneously, each with different rules.

Game 1

Maximum weight loss as measured by the scale.

Game 2

Body recomposition, measured by percentage fat and muscle.

Very difficult to win both. Further confounded by the fact that Game 1 is played with others, and Game 2 is played only for yourself. You can win one game, while losing the other.

Which game is most important to YOU, right NOW?

If it’s Game 1, then throw everything you’ve got at the scale. Get as light as possible. Don’t worry about muscle mass, you can address that issue next month.

If it’s Game 2, then keep chasing the Holy Grail. If your name is Percival, you get a glimpse, and a big win. Don’t worry about the scale.

Good luck, and don’t let the Black Knight stand in your way.

Something that always stuck with me from Fat Loss happens on a Monday was scale weight is reflected in the amount of food you eat and body comp reflected by quality of food. I think this holds true for me.

I would agree with @vegpedlr and @Papa Georgio , you have a bit of a quasi-dichotomy on your hands. There seems to be some pretty cool things going on in your body. I would hate to see this ruined by a too-aggressive pursuit of scale numbers, but my feelings aren't particularly relevant to your decision. There is always the concern that pushing things too hard will drive your body into a hibernation mode of sorts. No good for either one of your partially-conflicting goals.

Have you had a re-feed day yet? I ask, because this can often kick things in the right direction. Altering a few days of calorie restriction with a day or two of higher caloric intake seems to work well for some, as long as their average weekly caloric intake remains where it needs to.

Of course, not all calories are created equal. If you're looking for "one more thing" to further promote weight loss, ketosis is your best bet, as mentioned by @Bro Mo. Many people find it reduces the stress of caloric restriction, allowing the body to adapt a little more favorably.

And yes, you can always lose a few extra scale pounds right at the end by cutting weight, as is done by many folks in weight class sports. A little water restriction and the like can net you a few extra pounds at the end. Another reason why ketosis pushes you in the right direction, all other things being equal, water will be easier to get rid of.

Edit: Based on how much fat you're burning, I would err on the higher protein side of keto, if you go that direction.

Last edited:
I would agree with @vegpedlr and @Papa Georgio , you have a bit of a quasi-dichotomy on your hands. There seems to be some pretty cool things going on in your body. I would hate to see this ruined by a too-aggressive pursuit of scale numbers, but my feelings aren't particularly relevant to your decision. There is always the concern that pushing things too hard will drive your body into a hibernation mode of sorts. No good for either one of your partially-conflicting goals.

Have you had a re-feed day yet? I ask, because this can often kick things in the right direction. Altering a few days of calorie restriction with a day or two of higher caloric intake seems to work well for some, as long as their average weekly caloric intake remains where it needs to.

Of course, not all calories are created equal. If you're looking for "one more thing" to further promote weight loss, ketosis is your best bet, as mentioned by @Bro Mo. Many people find it reduces the stress of caloric restriction, allowing the body to adapt a little more favorably.

And yes, you can always lose a few extra scale pounds right at the end by cutting weight, as is done by many folks in weight class sports. A little water restriction and the like can net you a few extra pounds at the end. Another reason why ketosis pushes you in the right direction, all other things being equal, water will be easier to get rid of.

Edit: Based on how much fat you're burning, I would err on the higher protein side of keto, if you go that direction.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have done the refeed days a few times. I do feel refreshed the next day and my presses and heavy swings are easier.

I think you are all right tho. I can't have both. I thought by combining two programs and getting diet in shape, I could cheat the system. I even started running for 40 minutes during my lunch breaks this week, which I've enjoyed and I think has helped with weight loss and body recomp. But even then, I can't have everything. I guess I can't beat science after all...

I think @vegpedlr might have the best read on me, though I hate to say it. I want to lose scale weight. I've already taken a hit to my presses thanks to the calorie restriction. My swings are stronger than ever tho, so I can call it a wash I guess.

I'm mainly won over to @vegpedlr 's side because, I'll admit, the high protein is KILLING my gut this week. I don't know why, but I've been miserable even though I'm getting lots of fiber too.

I need a reset. Yeah, I read the POTATO HACK book - you peer pressured me. Seems promising, especially if it helps reset my microbiome of my gut. Kept to short stints at a time I supposedly won't lose (too much) muscle, if any.

I will keep up with my swings and presses, which really haven't been that taking the further I get into this, and will give @vegpedlr a chance. I'm thinking that swings, presses, and potatoes might get me across the finish line - body recomp and improved health while leaning on the scale weight side.

I can focus on pressing the beast after I win my competition.

Thank you all so much! I will keep you posted!

If it were me, I’d blitz the scale and win the prize. Why not? It’s only a month more. Take a break for a week, assess, and move on from there. You’re not going to shrivel up in a month, work on hypertrophy later.

Don’t underestimate the power of walking, especially when underfed, regardless of what dietary approach you choose.

If it were me, I’d blitz the scale and win the prize. Why not? It’s only a month more. Take a break for a week, assess, and move on from there. You’re not going to shrivel up in a month, work on hypertrophy later.

Don’t underestimate the power of walking, especially when underfed, regardless of what dietary approach you choose.

I'm going out on a limb with your potatoes, sir, but I appreciate the idea and will let you know how it goes.

If the promises from the book live up, I tip my hat to you.

And I think you're right about the hypertrophy. I'll keep up my heavy swings and moderate presses to at least maintain as much muscle as I can, and I'll focus on the heavy work next month.

Thanks!

It’s good to kick your own arse once in awhile with some crazy challenge. Even if you come up short you’ll learn something to help in going forward.

If I wanted to win a weight-loss competition I would go for a protein sparing diet for a short while before the big day. Only eat protein; chicken breast, tuna, lean beef, whey protein, quark, etc. A few days before the weigh-in I would do all the dehydration shenanigans I could think of. I wouldn't really care about the exercise.

And have a spotter to catch you after you faint at the weigh in. You can push even harder if you know a cute nurse who can have an IV ready for you.

And have a spotter to catch you after you faint at the weigh in. You can push even harder if you know a cute nurse who can have an IV ready for you.

*tipping my hat to @vegpedlr *

Yep, the potato hack caught me up in the weigh ins a bunch. Monday thru Thursday til dinner - a healthy dinner in which a simple roast chicken never tasted so good - only baked, boiled, or roasted plain potatoes.

My runs improved and my kettlebell presses didn't suffer. My gut feels a lot better, too. I'm definitely reevaluating what I thought I knew about a healthy diet now. Especially how much protein or specifically animal protein I need.

I went to visit family last week, so I'm behind with my workout plan. But it's a new day and it's Monday so time to hit the workouts hard and enjoy some potatoes til Thursday.

Thanks for the advice.

*tipping my hat to @vegpedlr *

Yep, the potato hack caught me up in the weigh ins a bunch. Monday thru Thursday til dinner - a healthy dinner in which a simple roast chicken never tasted so good - only baked, boiled, or roasted plain potatoes.

My runs improved and my kettlebell presses didn't suffer. My gut feels a lot better, too. I'm definitely reevaluating what I thought I knew about a healthy diet now. Especially how much protein or specifically animal protein I need.

I went to visit family last week, so I'm behind with my workout plan. But it's a new day and it's Monday so time to hit the workouts hard and enjoy some potatoes til Thursday.

Thanks for the advice.

How many days did you eat potatoes only and how did you work that into the rest of your life (e.g. work)?

How many days did you eat potatoes only and how did you work that into the rest of your life (e.g. work)?

I ate only potatoes Monday thru Wednesday for every meal. On Thursday I ate them for breakfast and lunch and then switched back to eating normally. It's Monday now, so I will start over again.

I lost a net of 3 pounds last week.

It was actually easy to incorporate into my life. I boil like 3 pounds the night before and bring them in tupperware for work the next day. It's actually simplified my routine. And dinner on Thursday definitely tasted way better. I guess the exercise in willpower kind of puts things in perspective pallet-wise. Roast chicken should taste amazing every time because, historically, we wouldn't have had it that often.

It's definitely been the easiest/most effective step in my plan to burn fat. Craig Marker's swings and presses have helped body recomp - wider shoulders, smaller waist. I'm on the right track I think.

Most of the stories of potato hackers I've seen have kept exercise pretty mellow. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Most of the stories of potato hackers I've seen have kept exercise pretty mellow. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

To be honest, I've already found myself dialing back on some stuff. Jogs and walks seem easy still, if not easier. But I have decreased some volume. I wanted to work up to 30 minutes of EMOM swings 3 days a week, but I'm keeping them closer to 20 minutes. Spirit is willing, but body not so much.

I've decided not to go up to 5 rounds of Dr. Marker's hypertrophy plan. I'm switching back and forth between 3 and 4. 5 has felt too demanding, more harmful than helpful.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well this would work with my barbell lifts. Heavy deadlifts already take me 2-3 days to recover from and I eat more than normal the day after deadlifting to help that.

For swings and TGUs, my guess would be one could maintain whatever current capabilities one has, but not progress them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom