all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Peter Attia Changed His Mind on Fasting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
The thing is that we are still evolving and developing things like lactose tolerance. The thumbs of young people are getting bigger and more dextrous from texting. In Korea, the ministry of education increased the size of desks 1.5 cm as the level of development has been so quick and diets (protein in particular) changed so much that average heights went up in a single generation. Our bodies are adapting to whatever environment there is and it doesn't take millennia.

What will be really interesting is how we evolve in response to cybernetic implants, cloning, CRISPR gene alterations, and reduced need for sexual reproduction.

Last edited:
A new species....homo deus 2.0 will emerge, some say...(Noah Yuval Harari does anyway).

Whether or not plain old human sapiens become extinct or remain cannon fodder for our superiors is up for grabs.

Just a couple of years ago the existential threat of AI was considered decades away. The rate of change is astonishing, amplified by the pandemic that threat is here now. Harari wrote of the need to tackle quick social changes brought on by AI to address social and health inequalities and a need for governments to introduce basic universal incomes.....veering into politics so pulling back....the end result is a few percentage of our current population will have the possibility to adapt to these changes and even leave the planet to live elsewhere in the future.

The human genus has had extinct lineages before, looks like our turn is coming. Or there's push back? So far zero evidence of that. There has been a call for a moratorium on AI development by AI creators themselves but the pace continues....

Have a good weekend!

No one has mentioned the Warrior Diet approach, which is under-eat then over-eat as opposed to fasting then eating. It's what I've been doing for years. Typically I have a small protein bar (10-12 gr of protein, 200-ish calories) with vitamins and coffee in the morning, and usually something else small before my big teaching block which is about 3:30 to 8 PM. I'm happy with my body composition, have been in the same weight class for 20 years, and my deadlift numbers keep going up.

-S-
Kudos Steve. Many people think IF and WD are the same and they are not. Most haven't even read the book.

I've adhered to the WD to great effect in the past. Do you follow the recommendations on order of macronutrient and food consumption during the feasting period?

Kudos Steve. Many people think IF and WD are the same and they are not. Most haven't even read the book.
Thanks!

I've adhered to the WD to great effect in the past. Do you follow the recommendations on order of macronutrient and food consumption during the feasting period?
Kinda, sorta, maybe, maybe not. :) Ori likes juicing for undereating but it always felt too sweet to me. I don't eat dessert before my meal but that's about as close as I get to following his specific recommendations. For me, it's a combination of the spirit of what he suggested with me trusting my own instincts about what to eat and when.

-S-

Excellent. A mom and pop health food store near me sells camel milk for $30 a liter, been meaning to try.
Bought a liter today, not bad, but for me not 30 bones a liter good.

Please find a link to metastudy that contains relevant information regarding the effect of diet on health as it compares several dietary variants:

Dietary Patterns and Non-Communicable Disease Biomarkers: A Network Meta-Analysis and Nutritional Geometry Approach

The study was recently published in one of the major nutritional journals can do the talking for itself.

Wow, carbs, generally come out looking pretty terrible.

Although the DASH and Mediterranean diets both allow / prefer complex carbs (whole grains, legumes), right?

Wow, carbs, generally come out looking pretty terrible.

Although the DASH and Mediterranean diets both allow / prefer complex carbs (whole grains, legumes), right?
They do. Those diets don't consider toxicants like gluten and its cousins in grains and lectins present in legumes and so on which might be what you are hinting at. Those toxicants also contribute to "leaky gut" which is generally considered to contribute to systemic inflammation. That may be why the paleo like diets came up better in that article if you look closely at the data.

Mediterranean diets also vary in how much dairy is involved. Some areas eat viturally none. Some eat some hard cheese and not much else. Others eat more dairy and so that may be involved. Milk is designed to make young animals grow and so contains various growth stimulants, some hormonal and some building blocks. Overstimulating growth in adult humans as may contribute to disease risk.

Of course, diet involves a free choice and personal preference. Unlike the other species who simply learn to eat what they eat whether they be carnivore, herbivore or omnivore.

Bought a liter today, not bad, but for me not 30 bones a liter good.

For $30 a litre id want it to make my hump as big as a camels lol. Gotta try things I guess.

A little while back in this thread was mentioned Okinawa being a blue zone.
When I was in Okinawa, a few things that struck me were:
At the grocery stores, the meat isle was flipped compared to north America.
The largest section was sea food, followed by chicken, then pork and beef, and very little processed meat.
Eating out, all portion sizes are smaller than the west. Even went to a Mcdonalds and everything was smaller!
A favorite breakfast there is a bun with a sweet bean paste inside, with coffee or tea.
Lots of dishes have pickled or fermented vegetables in them.
They do eat lots of noodles and rice, but not so much bread compared to the west.
Lots of older people there continue to work at least part time after the age of retirement.
As I was there for martial arts, seeing many older people still training well into 70s and 80s.
I saw very few over weight people.
From what I saw, people there are much less aggressive or ill tempered then in the west.

Just some of what I observed.

Eating out, all portion sizes are smaller than the west. Even went to a Mcdonalds and everything was smaller!
This was startlingly true to me visiting family in Yokohama. They eat rice with every meal, but it's a small amount, and is better understood to be an anti-seasoning which helps balance strong flavors on the palate.

I will say, though. however - for whatever reason, on each visit, to each family member's home, I had incurred a meal as part of my visit.

So, across about a month, I probably ate 5-6 meals per day most days. One thing I remember was feeling like a stuffed turkey the whole time. And, I lost a lot of weight before returning home. This makes me wonder a lot of things about the quality of all the food stuffs I get here, stateside.

I was also walking many miles per day (5-10 I guess) from buses to trains to destinations.

Only one family member had a car, and I only rode in it once.

A little while back in this thread was mentioned Okinawa being a blue zone.
When I was in Okinawa, a few things that struck me were:
At the grocery stores, the meat isle was flipped compared to north America.
The largest section was sea food, followed by chicken, then pork and beef, and very little processed meat.
A favorite breakfast there is a bun with a sweet bean paste inside, with coffee or tea.
Lots of dishes have pickled or fermented vegetables in them.
They do eat lots of noodles and rice, but not so much bread compared to the west.
Lots of older people there continue to work at least part time after the age of retirement.
As I was there for martial arts, seeing many older people still training well into 70s and 80s.
I saw very few over weight people.
From what I saw, people there are much less aggressive or ill tempered then in the west.

Just some of what I observed.

The issue of portion size is probably a much bigger factor than generally acknowledged. I live in Asia and the difference is clear. When I go back, I usually order a child size ice cream cone, for example. There is just no need for such ridiculous portion sizes. My wife and I can share one dish at some restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom