all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Getting at the cause of injury "Rebuilding Milo" Book recommendation

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member

I would like to recommend a book since it complements and doesn't compete with the SF approach and people sometimes mention injuries on this forum.

Rebuilding Milo: A Lifter's Guide to Fixing Common Injuries and Building a Strong Foundation for Enhancing Performance​

by Aaron Horschig (Author), Kevin Sonthana (Author) Aaron is the guy behind the squat university site and a qualified physiotherapist who specializes in athletic performance.

The reason I like it is this is one of the few books I have seen that addresses what should be obvious. Performance is a continuum from injury, pain, and disfunction through to elite performance. All but the most elite can improve their movement patterns and function. The authors also make it clear that we shouldn't be waiting for injury to rebuild proper movement function and strength. Too many who lift are pretty banged up with cumulative injuries. Some professional sports teams are taking a more diagnostic approach, not just a skill, strength, and conditioning approach and have dramatically reduced injury rates.

There also seems to be room between OS resets and regular lifting, which this book addresses, especially for those in pain or discomfort. As Gray Cook says, we shouldn't load disfunction.

There are specific chapters on back pain, knee pain, elbow pain etc. But the book is full of assessments with specific exercises. The framework is as follows:
  • Knee Injury Anatomy 101
  • How to Screen Your Knee Pain
  • The Rebuilding Process
The hardcover is not cheap but very nicely produced with excellent images. The squat university website has a number of detailed articles and he has a podcast.

The book can be used to help improve barriers to strength development and reduce the chance of injury and is not just for those who are injured or in pain.

I would like to recommend a book since it complements and doesn't compete with the SF approach and people sometimes mention injuries on this forum.

Rebuilding Milo: A Lifter's Guide to Fixing Common Injuries and Building a Strong Foundation for Enhancing Performance​

by Aaron Horschig (Author), Kevin Sonthana (Author) Aaron is the guy behind the squat university site and a qualified physiotherapist who specializes in athletic performance.

The reason I like it is this is one of the few books I have seen that addresses what should be obvious. Performance is a continuum from injury, pain, and disfunction through to elite performance. All but the most elite can improve their movement patterns and function. The authors also make it clear that we shouldn't be waiting for injury to rebuild proper movement function and strength. Too many who lift are pretty banged up with cumulative injuries. Some professional sports teams are taking a more diagnostic approach, not just a skill, strength, and conditioning approach and have dramatically reduced injury rates.

There also seems to be room between OS resets and regular lifting, which this book addresses, especially for those in pain or discomfort. As Gray Cook says, we shouldn't load disfunction.

There are specific chapters on back pain, knee pain, elbow pain etc. But the book is full of assessments with specific exercises. The framework is as follows:
  • Knee Injury Anatomy 101
  • How to Screen Your Knee Pain
  • The Rebuilding Process
The hardcover is not cheap but very nicely produced with excellent images. The squat university website has a number of detailed articles and he has a podcast.

The book can be used to help improve barriers to strength development and reduce the chance of injury and is not just for those who are injured or in pain.
I agree with you. It has a good approach.

What in particular did you find useful? I haven't finished it yet.
Low back, shoulder, knee and elbow sections. I find it brings together a lot of stuff I had gleaned left and right over the years into a comprehensive book. I haven't applied everything in the book as some sections weren't yet useful for me but I'm glad I bought it.

Low back, shoulder, knee and elbow sections. I find it brings together a lot of stuff I had gleaned left and right over the years into a comprehensive book. I haven't applied everything in the book as some sections weren't yet useful for me but I'm glad I bought it.

Right, it is not so much that there is lots of new stuff, it is that it pulls together a lot of concepts and exercises into a more systematic approach in one reference book. I tend to forget about the digital materials I have bookmarked or saved.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom