all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Murph Challenge Training

renegadenate

Level 7 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Is anyone participating in The Murph Challenge on Memorial Day?

1-mile run
100 pull-ups
200 pushups
300 squats
1-mile run

....with body armor or 20lb weight vest

I've been doing it since 2016.

My current training schedule:

Mon: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Double Kettlebell Presses, M: Bulgarian Split Squats, L: 1-Arm Rows)

Tues: Murph training (easy 1/2 - 1-mile run and low-volume Murph: 2/4/6 EMOM for 12-20 minutes)

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: DKFS, M: Chin-ups, L: Dips)

Thurs: Off

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Weighted Pull-ups, M: DB Bench Presses, L: Goblet Squats)

Sat: High-volume Murph training (see below)

Sun: Off

The Murph Challenge is only 6 weeks away, and my training is now in high gear!

Today was a 3/4 Murph (75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, 225 squats) in just under 22 minutes without the run.

This is my best time in a few years but still not as good as 2017-2018 when I could complete the 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in 19:30 and the entire Murph with body armor in 38-44 minutes.

How do I do it?

With Russian LADDERS!

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3:
Pull-ups x 3
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

RUNG 4:
Pull-ups x 4
Pushups x 8
Squats x 12

That's ONE Ladder!

Complete 10 Ladders for a full Murph (without the one-mile run before and after).

I performed 7 Ladders plus an additional rung of 2/4/6 and 3/6/9 to hit 75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, and 225 squats.

I have found it to be the quickest and most efficient way to complete The Murph Challenge.

I've also performed 3/6/9 EMOM for 33 rounds plus one round of 1/2/3 to complete it in 33-34 minutes.

Here's a video I made a couple years ago showing proper form and other options:

Last edited:

I've used this one in the past. I weighted the pull ups, push ups and squats. Every three weeks I would adjust the reps or add weight. It worked well.

I've used this one in the past. I weighted the pull ups, push ups and squats. Every three weeks I would adjust the reps or add weight. It worked well.
I used elements of that plan the first time I performed The Murph Challenge in 2016.

It's pretty good, but I've found the various Ladders I use to work better.

If not trying to "peak", Wendlers WALRUS style training sessions would be amazing for this. They're basically untimed, auto regulated "murphs", using the same or similar exercises (you can have variety).

Use them to build a base, then push the pace occasionally when wanting to test.

very interesting! I'm onboard with this. may modify the tricks or definitely reduce the reps as I will surely need to build up to this. i'll aim to do it correctly in the future.

1-mile run
100 pull-ups (50 pushups)
200 pushups (100 snatches)
300 squats (150 swings)
1-mile run
NO additional weighted vest/boots/etc. I have a diabetes2 induced belly <- D2 induced by medical steroids <- alwasy been borderline D2 due to heavy meals (healthy foods, but unhealthy portions)

well. putting it down in 'ink' looks scary! but I will give it a go. Timeless:) even if it takes me the entire day.

very interesting! I'm onboard with this. may modify the tricks or definitely reduce the reps as I will surely need to build up to this. i'll aim to do it correctly in the future.

1-mile run
100 pull-ups (50 pushups)
200 pushups (100 snatches)
300 squats (150 swings)
1-mile run
NO additional weighted vest/boots/etc. I have a diabetes2 induced belly <- D2 induced by medical steroids <- alwasy been borderline D2 due to heavy meals (healthy foods, but unhealthy portions)

well. putting it down in 'ink' looks scary! but I will give it a go. Timeless:) even if it takes me the entire day.

You can do it!

With modifications (TRX Rows instead of pull-ups and modified pushups), I've had 50-60-something-year-old women complete the entire Murph in under 90 minutes (most in 75 minutes their first time).

If it's your first time performing The Murph Challenge, I do NOT recommend using a weight vest.

You can still perform S&S in addition to 2 days of Murph training and make stellae progress.

If you cannot already perform at least 6 perfect pull-ups, then substitute with TRX/Ring Rows.

If you can perform at least 6 perfect pull-ups, then only do ladders of 1 and 2 for pull-ups.

1/2/3
2/4/6

The key is to always be able to perform your pull-ups sub-maximally throughout the Murph.

If you try to do more (like an all-out set of max pull-ups), you will burn yourself out and struggle to complete.

Remember, you can always do these variations to complete the entire Murph (without the running):

Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

• EMOM (or every 30 seconds) for 100 rounds

Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

• EMOM for 50 rounds

Both of those work for someone that can only do 5-6 perfect pull-ups.

I'll be doing it for sure!

I have been doing a fair amount of endurance work as well as weight vest training as of late with pull ups, push ups (or dips), and walking lunges.

My endurance work has been a mix of rucking, lower intensity running, rowing, and even a few row/run "bricks" on the weekend when I have more time. Most sessions are around 60 mins in total with the row/run bricks being 75-90 mins.

A few examples of some weight vest sessions lately:

20 rounds (60 mins total) 5 pullups / 10 pushups / 10 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 25lb vest
25 rounds (65ish mins total) 3 pullups / 6 push ups / 6 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 45lb vest
20 rounds (60 mins total) 5 pullups / 5 dips / 10 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 25 lb vest
50 rounds (50 mins total) 1 pull up / 2 push ups w/ 45lb vest

I'm confident I'll get through Murph with the 20lb-25lb vest and not be wrecked but in all fairness, I have not been doing a lot of glycolytic work so there is a bit of an unknown when it comes to pushing the pace.

I'll be doing it for sure!

I have been doing a fair amount of endurance work as well as weight vest training as of late with pull ups, push ups (or dips), and walking lunges.

My endurance work has been a mix of rucking, lower intensity running, rowing, and even a few row/run "bricks" on the weekend when I have more time. Most sessions are around 60 mins in total with the row/run bricks being 75-90 mins.

A few examples of some weight vest sessions lately:

20 rounds (60 mins total) 5 pullups / 10 pushups / 10 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 25lb vest
25 rounds (65ish mins total) 3 pullups / 6 push ups / 6 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 45lb vest
20 rounds (60 mins total) 5 pullups / 5 dips / 10 walking lunges (per leg) w/ 25 lb vest
50 rounds (50 mins total) 1 pull up / 2 push ups w/ 45lb vest

I'm confident I'll get through Murph with the 20lb-25lb vest and not be wrecked but in all fairness, I have not been doing a lot of glycolytic work so there is a bit of an unknown when it comes to pushing the pace.
If you can already do that, the Murph won't be too bad at all.

The only thing that will make it harder for you is pushing the pace.

For example, at my best (with weight vest), I ran a sub 7-minute first mile, and I was able to complete the 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in 25 minutes using the 1/2/3/4 ladder for 10 rounds (like I showed in my first post for my Saturday workout) followed by a 7-8 minute final mile.

Pushing the pace on the Ladders will get you nauseous, but you have time to work on that!

If you can already do that, the Murph won't be too bad at all.

The only thing that will make it harder for you is pushing the pace.

For example, at my best (with weight vest), I ran a sub 7-minute first mile, and I was able to complete the 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in 25 minutes using the 1/2/3/4 ladder for 10 rounds (like I showed in my first post for my Saturday workout) followed by a 7-8 minute final mile.

Pushing the pace on the Ladders will get you nauseous, but you have time to work on that!
Completely agreed with the pace related portion.

A lot of my training is "Alactic & Aerobic" in that I am purposely doing resistance work that is far from failure with generous rests.

I do incorporate one higher intensity endurance session a week, mainly on the rower, using intervals of up to about 3:30 in length with equal or slightly more rest between.

I haven't decided if I am going to do the full Murph as a more Alactic & Aerobic session bookended by easy runs or if I am going to push the pace and complete for time; I'm leaning towards pushing for time but not 100% decided. If I do push for time, my plan is to incorporate one session per week for the month of May leading up to the actual event where I push the pace a bit, very much in line with Pavel's remarks on the Joe Rogan podcast where glycolytic adaptations should be able to take place in a couple of weeks leading up to the event.

Completely agreed with the pace related portion.

A lot of my training is "Alactic & Aerobic" in that I am purposely doing resistance work that is far from failure with generous rests.

I do incorporate one higher intensity endurance session a week, mainly on the rower, using intervals of up to about 3:30 in length with equal or slightly more rest between.

I haven't decided if I am going to do the full Murph as a more Alactic & Aerobic session bookended by easy runs or if I am going to push the pace and complete for time; I'm leaning towards pushing for time but not 100% decided. If I do push for time, my plan is to incorporate one session per week for the month of May leading up to the actual event where I push the pace a bit, very much in line with Pavel's remarks on the Joe Rogan podcast where glycolytic adaptations should be able to take place in a couple of weeks leading up to the event.

Yep! That will work great.

I disagree with Pavel (based on my own training and coaching clients professionally since 2009) that only 1-2 glycolytic workouts are needed in the month leading up to a competition.

I've found it to be far too little. I need at least one session per week for 4-6 weeks or 2 sessions per week for 3-4 weeks to be at my best.

That's more similar to how I trained when I competed in a variety of obstacle course races ranging from 4-12+ miles from 2011 - 2017. I needed and excelled when I performed far more frequent glycolytic sessions (a variety of timed training sessions using total-body circuits with 30/30, 40/20, 20/40, 15/45, and 45/15 intervals).

For the Murph, I've always done my best when hitting three total-body workouts each week and two Murph sessions varying the volume and pace (like I'm currently doing).

@renegadenate in your experience what does this style of training do for bodyweight rep maxes? By increasing volume/ density in this way, have you seen improvements in that department?

If its relevant my previous best BW chins was 23 reps. Since that time I've had a break from training, gained 5kg, and my reps dropped. Back to 17 reps since resuming training.

I'll do 1 perfect pull up one day :)

but TRX/Ring Rows looks like something fun which I can setup at home! I will investigate further. thanks
You can continue to train strength to eventually be able to perform pull-ups.

In the meantime, definitely TRX/Ring or other Suspension trainer rows.

When my coaching clients perform the Murph, I make them do the same amount of Rows as pushups (200).

Which means that during our training sessions, they are performing the following variations:

TRX Rows x 4
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

OR

TRX Rows x 6
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

@renegadenate in your experience what does this style of training do for bodyweight rep maxes? By increasing volume/ density in this way, have you seen improvements in that department?

If its relevant my previous best BW chins was 23 reps. Since that time I've had a break from training, gained 5kg, and my reps dropped. Back to 17 reps since resuming training.
Whenever I train for the Murph, my max reps on pull-ups and pushups always increases despite never training for high reps (no more than 4 pull-ups and 8 pushups).

The volume builds my max reps and strength endurance.

And I will typically only have one heavy pull-up day using additional weight for low volume and low reps (currently Friday as part of the BuiltStrong Minimalist program) to build strength.

I'm in a similar boat. I have been dealing with shoulder (and knee) issues for the last 2+ years that caused my strength and max reps to decrease quite a bit (along with weight gain).

I finally have the injury/pain under control, so I expect my strength and max reps to increase again despite being heavier than I normally am.

Today was my "Easy" low-volume session.

• 1/2 mile run

Then:

• Pull-ups x 2
• Pushups x 4
• Squats x 6

- EMOM for 19 minutes (half the volume as Saturday's session)

Then:
• 1/2 mile run

All pull-ups were performed chest-to-bar. Pushups were performed explosively (Q&D style). Squats to a 12" box.

My next high-volume, high-intensity Saturday session will be based on the "Delta 20" principle.

Since a 3/4 Murph is my "baseline," I will either go up to 9 Ladders (90% Murph) or down to 6 Ladders (60% Murph). These are the 4-rung Ladders in my first post.

I will decide this on Saturday morning based on how I feel and how the first few Ladders feel.

Each week will go up and down like this leading up to the Murph (90, 75, 60, 75, 60).

Ideally, I'll do the 9 Ladders this Saturday so my future Saturday sessions are 6 and 7.5 Ladders (60/75% Murph).

I don't like to perform a near Murph too close to the actual event (been there, done that). And I want to taper my volume down the week prior.

Back
Top Bottom