all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Murph Challenge Training

This all reminds me on Jim Wendler‘s WaLRUS training. He has phases where he (and other trainees) does a murph every day. He mostly divides the volume in two trainings. One in the morning and the other half in the evening. He doesn‘t run, but is using the Airdyne.
What I have read they have huge success with conditioning, body composition and more with the WaLRUS style training. Doing Murph after Murph and being able to recover from this is helping I guess.

Is anyone participating in The Murph Challenge on Memorial Day?

1-mile run
100 pull-ups
200 pushups
300 squats
1-mile run

....with body armor or 20lb weight vest

I've been doing it since 2016.

My current training schedule:

Mon: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Double Kettlebell Presses, M: Bulgarian Split Squats, L: 1-Arm Rows)

Tues: Murph training (easy 1/2 - 1-mile run and low-volume Murph: 2/4/6 EMOM for 12-20 minutes)

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: DKFS, M: Chin-ups, L: Dips)

Thurs: Off

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Weighted Pull-ups, M: DB Bench Presses, L: Goblet Squats)

Sat: High-volume Murph training (see below)

Sun: Off

The Murph Challenge is only 6 weeks away, and my training is now in high gear!

Today was a 3/4 Murph (75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, 225 squats) in just under 22 minutes without the run.

This is my best time in a few years but still not as good as 2017-2018 when I could complete the 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in 19:30 and the entire Murph with body armor in 38-44 minutes.

How do I do it?

With Russian LADDERS!

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3:
Pull-ups x 3
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

RUNG 4:
Pull-ups x 4
Pushups x 8
Squats x 12

That's ONE Ladder!

Complete 10 Ladders for a full Murph (without the one-mile run before and after).

I performed 7 Ladders plus an additional rung of 2/4/6 and 3/6/9 to hit 75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, and 225 squats.

I have found it to be the quickest and most efficient way to complete The Murph Challenge.

I've also performed 3/6/9 EMOM for 33 rounds plus one round of 1/2/3 to complete it in 33-34 minutes.

Here's a video I made a couple years ago showing proper form and other options:

How do your shoulders feel after training like this for a while?

I like the look of your training week but might switch the pull ups and push ups so I’m doing more pulling than pushing to keep my shoulder happy

How do your shoulders feel after training like this for a while?

I like the look of your training week but might switch the pull ups and push ups so I’m doing more pulling than pushing to keep my shoulder happy
I've had on and off shoulder issues since 2019. I have arthritis and bursitis. I've gone through PT, massage, ART, etc.

Currently, my shoulders are doing better than they have in the last two years so they feel pretty good.

Ever since training like this for the Murph, it's usually only my elbows that get aggravated (tendonitis). So I just have to listen to my body and know when to back off.

Having one high-volume day and one easy low-volume day seems to be just right for me and doesn't aggravate my shoulders or elbows.

When I was training for the May TSC (2017, 2018, 2019) followed by the Murph Challenge three weeks later, my elbows would get bad tendonitis and my shoulders would get cranky due to 8+ weeks of higher volume. That's why I no longer use the Fighter Pull-up program. It killed my elbows!

Also, I'm still doing 1-Arm Rows (Mon), Chin-ups (Wed), and weighted Pull-ups (Fri) in my BuiltStrong Minimalist workouts, but the volume is low.

This is my daily 5.5 minute warm-up before all of my training sessions (and for my coaching clients).
I use a 16-18kg kettlebell and 24kg for Get-ups.

I have my male coaching clients use 12-16kg and women use 4-12kg.

I've had on and off shoulder issues since 2019. I have arthritis and bursitis. I've gone through PT, massage, ART, etc.

Currently, my shoulders are doing better than they have in the last two years so they feel pretty good.

Ever since training like this for the Murph, it's usually only my elbows that get aggravated (tendonitis). So I just have to listen to my body and know when to back off.

Having one high-volume day and one easy low-volume day seems to be just right for me and doesn't aggravate my shoulders or elbows.

When I was training for the May TSC (2017, 2018, 2019) followed by the Murph Challenge three weeks later, my elbows would get bad tendonitis and my shoulders would get cranky due to 8+ weeks of higher volume. That's why I no longer use the Fighter Pull-up program. It killed my elbows!
That’s good to know. I’m working through a shoulder injury just now so might use the lower rungs of the ladder you have outlined to slowly build up the volume.

Thanks for sharing your training week, it’s definitely getting added to my to do list !!

That’s good to know. I’m working through a shoulder injury just now so might use the lower rungs of the ladder you have outlined to slowly build up the volume.

Thanks for sharing your training week, it’s definitely getting added to my to do list !!
Keep up with whatever PT or rehab work that you're doing for sure.

And, yes, use the lower rungs of the ladder. If it aggravates your shoulders, decrease volume and/or reps (1,2).

Hi Nate,

Just curious, what does your rest look like on your high volume day? Do you rest in between rungs, or just between ladders? I'm up to 1/2 Murph in terms of volume, but have been doing the 5/10/15 method OTM (1 movement per min). I think I'll try your approach, as I am certain that near the end trying to do the pullups or pushups without breaking them up won't be possible. Thanks!
Is anyone participating in The Murph Challenge on Memorial Day?

1-mile run
100 pull-ups
200 pushups
300 squats
1-mile run

....with body armor or 20lb weight vest

I've been doing it since 2016.

My current training schedule:

Mon: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Double Kettlebell Presses, M: Bulgarian Split Squats, L: 1-Arm Rows)

Tues: Murph training (easy 1/2 - 1-mile run and low-volume Murph: 2/4/6 EMOM for 12-20 minutes)

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: DKFS, M: Chin-ups, L: Dips)

Thurs: Off

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (H: Weighted Pull-ups, M: DB Bench Presses, L: Goblet Squats)

Sat: High-volume Murph training (see below)

Sun: Off

The Murph Challenge is only 6 weeks away, and my training is now in high gear!

Today was a 3/4 Murph (75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, 225 squats) in just under 22 minutes without the run.

This is my best time in a few years but still not as good as 2017-2018 when I could complete the 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in 19:30 and the entire Murph with body armor in 38-44 minutes.

How do I do it?

With Russian LADDERS!

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3:
Pull-ups x 3
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

RUNG 4:
Pull-ups x 4
Pushups x 8
Squats x 12

That's ONE Ladder!

Complete 10 Ladders for a full Murph (without the one-mile run before and after).

I performed 7 Ladders plus an additional rung of 2/4/6 and 3/6/9 to hit 75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, and 225 squats.

I have found it to be the quickest and most efficient way to complete The Murph Challenge.

I've also performed 3/6/9 EMOM for 33 rounds plus one round of 1/2/3 to complete it in 33-34 minutes.

Here's a video I made a couple years ago showing proper form and other options:

Hi Nate,

Just curious, what does your rest look like on your high volume day? Do you rest in between rungs, or just between ladders? I'm up to 1/2 Murph in terms of volume, but have been doing the 5/10/15 method OTM (1 movement per min). I think I'll try your approach, as I am certain that near the end trying to do the pullups or pushups without breaking them up won't be possible. Thanks!
It takes me 2 minutes to do one Ladder (1/2/3/4 pull-ups, 2/4/6/8 pushups, 3/6/9/12 squats) at a fast pace.

I used to be able to maintain that for all 10 Ladders (full Murph) and finish in just under 20 minutes.

Right now, I start out fast for the first two Ladders through, but then add 15 seconds rest before the 3/6/9 and 30 seconds rest before the 4/8/12 rungs on subsequent Ladders. I'll rest 15-30 seconds and start my next Ladder (1/2/3).

So my two-minute Ladder turns into 2.5 to 3 minutes as I go.

I purposely push the pace on this high-volume session as it will be what I do during the Murph.

For those already able to perform the Murph with bodyweight, your next challenge is to do it with a weighted vest.

In a conversation with another member, I suggested this.

At your current strength level, you should already be able to do the full Murph with bodyweight.

I would do it once to see how long it takes you.

Then, take 5-6 days of rest from Murph training (continue with your regular training after one day of rest after a full Murph - you will be sore!).

When you start back with Murph training, use the 20lb vest and have one "easy" day where you do 2 pull-ups, 4 pushups, and 6 squats (or 3/6/9) for 10-20 rounds (EMOM). This is also a good day to run 1/2 - 1-mile before and after your Murph session.

Then, have a "hard" day wearing the 20lb vest where you perform this Ladder:

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3:
Pull-ups x 3
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

RUNG 4:
Pull-ups x 4
Pushups x 8
Squats x 12

NOTE: Remember that if you perform the above 4 rungs (1 Ladder) 10 times, you've completed the Murph (without the running, of course).

- Perform all 4 rungs as fast as possible to complete one Ladder in 2.5 - 3.5 minutes.

- Rest when needed before and after each rung and each Ladder.

- Perform 3-5 Ladders (30-50% Murph)

If the 4th rung is too hard or you cannot maintain good form, then only perform the first 3 rungs.

The 20lb vest adds a lot more intensity and difficulty. So feel free to stick to lower rungs (1, 2) and not as many Ladders (20-30% Murph).

Damn that's a crazy pace!

Aside from training the murph, is there any particular training you recommend to support the murph? Any particular core work or anything?
I always perform three total-body workouts each week. That's my bread and butter.

Murph training or S&S or Q&D or other stuff is done in addition to those three total-body sessions.

My current total-body workouts are BuiltStrong Minimalist.

• 5.5 minute warm-up (I posted that video)
• 5-6 Rounds EMOM of a Power movement for 5-10 reps (Kettlebell Swings, Med Ball Slams, various Jumps, DB Push Presses, or Explosive pushups)
• 20-35 minute total-body workout

I rotate Cindy in with a weighted vest for a short effective workout on busy days, so next time I will just see how many 1/2/3/4 ladders I can squeeze in and then share it here.
Sounds good!

Cindy is essentially the Murph without the running using the 5/10/15 partition.

The 1/2/3/4 Ladder just allows you to ho faster with less fatigue.

NOTE-TO-SELF: BuiltStrong Minimalist with DB Bench Presses and A LOT of Squats the day before a Murph workout SUCKS!!!!

TODAY'S MURPH CHALLENGE TRAINING SESSION:

HALF MURPH!

1/2 mile run, then:

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3: