all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
2xBW deadlift
75% of BW overhead press
12 chin-ups (or was it pull-ups?)
400meter run in 75 seconds.
Of course you could come up with any kind of standards, but I actually really like those. Not just for military people, but for everyone.

One arm press: 20 reps each arm with 24kg
Double front squat: 20 reps with 2x24
Swings: 200 reps with 24 in 10min.
One arm clean and jerk 100 reps in 10min with 24kg, unlimited hand switches.
Snatch 30/30 with 24kg
Get up 32kg STRONGLY
Good, except for the TGU standard. IIRC you personally had some troubles with the TGU, but really if you can meet the one arm press, double frontsquat & snatch goal you should have absolutely no problem with a 32KG TGU.
40 would be more apropriate here IMO.

Is bottoms up tgu a normal option?
This one is a little to close to the "risk" side and not close enough to the "reward" side for me
I don't know man; I think if you swallow your pride and try it with a very light kettlebell, I reckon it would do wonders for keeping your whole body tight throughout the movement.
I absolutely agree with @wespom9 here. Probably, because he thinks that way because of something I said a couple of months ago :p
This is offtopic I know, but since it's already discussed here I might aswell just continue.
Bottoms-up TGUs can be really dangerous for your wrists, because of a certain flip-around move the KB can make.
Look at the little clip I made to know which one:

I wear my wrist protectors on purpose for this.
That's only a 12Kg KB.
Look at how much force it puts into my arm during the impact. Additionally please note that I did it in a rack position, so I was able to soften the blow a bit by raising my elbow and meet the KB half way (that was instinctively, I didn't meant to do that).
With an arm locked out overhead you can't soften up anything and take the full blow.
Imagine the force of a 16, 20, 24 or even more..."light" is relative. For me a 20 is very light, but in no way would I want the 20 to make that flip-around onto my wrist.

I like BU work for presses or rack walks, but in those exercises you can bail safely.
If you feel the flip-around starting you can soften it up significantly by using your other hand or pull your hand away from the KB/let go of it while stepping to the side so it just falls to the ground.
During a TGU you can do none of that. No way to bail out of the lift or softening the flip-around.
That's why the risks outweigh the rewards.
You can get the same tension benefits with the cup drill. Only risk there is getting a bit wet.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom