all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strongfirst WOD Minimums

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The Deadlift—the most “functional” strength exercise and the most hardcore lift of all time
The Deadlift

There are other lifts that also fall into the "Most Functional Strength Exercise" category.

The Bench Press—the undisputed champion for building upper body strength faster than any other exercise"

Undisputed?

I would not place the Bench Press in "The Champion of building upper body strength faster than any other exercise".

1) While it is effective at increasing Anterior Chain Strength and Size, it does virtually nothing for the Posterior Chain.

2) The largest and strongest muscles are the Posterior Chain.

The Lats dwarf the Pecs in Size and Strength.

While the Upper Body Posterior Chain is invoved to some degree in the Deadlift, it not enough to fully enage and develop them.

Two Most Effective Upper Body Movements

These two Upper Body Movements are noted as "Upper Body Squat"; the most effective at increasing strength and size.

1) Dips

Pat Casey was the first Powerlifter to Bench Press over 600 lbs in a T-Shirt.

Casey's credits Dips as the most effecitive exercise that produced his 600 lb plus Bench Press.

Marty Gallager

1627813641097.png

That leads us to...

The Bridge Floor Press—a favorite of old-time strongmen and wrestlers, it is a bench press with no bench

This is essentially a Dip from a modified angle.

Old Time Strongmen performed it along with...

The Belly Toss Bench Press

Post 5, from 2019 examines it in more detail.

The Belly Toss Bench Press falls into being a Power Movement, a form of Over Speed Training, dependent on the load. The training effect is smilar to Over Speed Sprint Training by running down hills.

Secondly, the Bench Press has an Ascending Strength Curve; the resistance is harder in the bottom, easiser at the top.

Research has demonstrated that means that only the first one third of the Bench Press, the first few inches off the chest Overloads the muscle in the movement.

In the remaining two third of the Bench Press, the muscle are Underloaded.

With heavier loads in the Belly Toss Bench Press Overloads the muscle at the top end of the movement

Now let's look at the...

Advantages of Dips

a) You can perform Dips to the limit with Repetitions. Unlike the Bench Press, you don't need to worry about getting the weight stuck on you chest or need a spotter.

b) Accentuated Eccentric Dip can easily be performed.

With a Bench Press, you need a spotter to assist. That is not the case with Dips.

Ironically, most spotter who assist with Eccentric Bench Presses, end up performing a Partial Deadlift in having to pull the weight up or a Heavy Assisted Partial Upright Row. Been there.

2) Pull Ups/Chins

This is the "Upper Body Squat" for the Posterior Chain.

As with Dips, Pull Up/Chins Accentuated Eccentric can be performed.

The Strongest Shall Survive
Bill Starr

This book, published in 1976, continues to be foundation of a Strength Program for athletes: Squat, Bench Press and Power Cleans.

Approximately, 96% of the muscles of the body are worked with these three exercises.

The Squat can be alternated with the Deadlift in this program.

Dips can be alternated with the Bench Press.

Kettlebells Swing and Power Cleans can be alternated, since both are Power Movcement that elicit essentially the same effet in the Posterior Chain.

Last edited:
The Deadlift

There are other lifts that also fall into the "Most Functional Strength Exercise" category.

Undisputed?

I would not place the Bench Press in "The Champion of building upper body strength faster than any other exercise".

1) While it is effective at increasing Anterior Chain Strength and Size, it does virtually nothing for the Posterior Chain.

2) The largest and strongest muscles are the Posterior Chain.

The Lats dwarf the Pecs in Size and Strength.

While the Upper Body Posterior Chain is invoved to some degree in the Deadlift, it not enough to fully enage and develop them.

Two Most Effective Upper Body Movements

These two Upper Body Movements are noted as "Upper Body Squat"; the most effective at increasing strength and size.

1) Dips

Pat Casey was the first Powerlifter to Bench Press over 600 lbs in a T-Shirt.

Casey's credits Dips as the most effecitive exercise that produced his 600 lb plus Bench Press.

Marty Gallager

View attachment 14382

That leads us to...

The Bridge Floor Press—a favorite of old-time strongmen and wrestlers, it is a bench press with no bench

This is essentially a Dip from a modified angle.

Old Time Strongmen performed it along with...

The Belly Toss Bench Press

Post 5, from 2019 examines it in more detail.

The Belly Toss Bench Press falls into being a Power Movement, a form of Over Speed Training, dependent on the load. The training effect is smilar to Over Speed Sprint Training by running down hills.

Secondly, the Bench Press has an Ascending Strength Curve; the resistance is harder in the bottom, easiser at the top.

Research has demonstrated that means that only the first one third of the Bench Press, the first few inches off the chest Overloads the muscle in the movement.

In the remaining two third of the Bench Press, the muscle are Underloaded.

With heavier loads in the Belly Toss Bench Press Overloads the muscle at the top end of the movement

Now let's look at the...

Advantages of Dips

a) You can perform Dips to the limit with Repetitions. Unlike the Bench Press, you don't need to worry about getting the weight stuck on you chest or need a spotter.

b) Accentuated Eccentric Dip can easily be performed.

With a Bench Press, you need a spotter to assist. That is not the case with Dips.

Ironically, most spotter who assist with Eccentric Bench Presses, end up performing a Partial Deadlift in having to pull the weight up or a Heavy Assisted Partial Upright Row. Been there.

2) Pull Ups/Chins

This is the "Upper Body Squat" for the Posterior Chain.

As with Dips, Pull Up/Chins Accentuated Eccentric can be performed.

The Strongest Shall Survive
Bill Starr

This book, published in 1976, continues to be foundation of a Strength Program for athletes: Squat, Bench Press and Power Cleans.

Approximately, 96% of the muscles of the body are worked with these three exercises.

The Squat can be alternated with the Deadlift in this program.

Dips can be alternated with the Bench Press.

Kettlebells Swing and Power Cleans can be alternated, since both are Power Movcement that elicit essentially the same effet in the Posterior Chain.

I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I was quoting the recent StrongFirst barbell course. Those aren't my words. I do like them, though.

The original question and the course speak for extreme minimalism. It's something that I do not fancy. But if I was forced to limit myself to two exercises, the deadlift and the bench press would be a pair I wouldn't be against.

I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I was quoting the recent StrongFirst barbell course. Those aren't my words. I do like them, though.
I realize those were from the Barbell Course, not you.

It look like and intersting course. However as I noted, I am not in agreement with them.

The original question and the course speak for extreme minimalism. It's something that I do not fancy. But if I was forced to limit myself to two exercises, the deadlift and the bench press would be a pair I wouldn't be against.

Starr's Program

Starr's recommendation falls into a minimal training program; Squat, Bench Press, and Power Clean.

As I metioned, the Deadlift could be substituted for the Squat.

As Charles Poliquin point out in one of his articles, year ago, switching from peforming Squat to Deadlift, increase your Squat when you go back to it.

That is true of switching from the Deadlift to the Squat for a while

Research previous posted, demonstrated that Changing Exserises that employ the same muscle groups is one of the keys to increasing strength as well as increaing muscle mass.

Changing from a Conventional Deadlift to a Sumo would work, as well.

I highly recommend this article series with respect to the discussion

Yes, sometimes you can catch an injury that prevents you from doing your chosen exercises and have something else to train it's good...
That's where I am right now. I can only do S&S once or twice a week so I fill in the other days with BW (OAPU, OLDL & Airborne Lunges).

For cardio I run 45 min 3 times a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom