all posts post new thread

Carter0105

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hey everyone, I'm a coach from Portsmouth, UK, who owns a studio called On Form Fitness Studio.

My goal with training is to learn through myself what it takes and requires to get stronger, be fitter, and move pain-free. I then pass this on to my members so they can live better lives.

I'm going to start to log my training on the forum as a way to share my lessons learned even more. Here goes.

Wednesday, 13th - Snatch Test - Currently training for my recent (First time with 24kg, and I have not snatched for 2 years due to injuries or other certs) so I wanted to check where we are at after around 45 days of, let's call it, inclusion practice, not huge amounts.

Reps plan: 15-15-10-10-10-10-5-5-5-5-5-5
What happened: 15-13-6-6-8-7-6-5-4-5-4-4-3

This was 86, not what I hoped for, but I watched back, and the form was great. My problem really lay in not knowing how many reps I was doing per arm as I can't count at the same time as snatching. I miscounted 13, then somehow forgot about committing to 10-10 to get me to 50, so I'm 10 reps short of the first time I put the bell down at 2 minutes. It was my first test, so I shall learn from it and will actually stick to 2-minute tests for the minute and nail that 50. I do have the test possibly in just over a week, but with the option of 4-10 weeks with two more strong first events approaching.

I will take a rest day today and then train again on Friday.

A few training sessions to log, as it's been my birthday this weekend, so I've been too busy to log. I would prefer to do this as and when I train, then catch up; it's easy to forget details.

So, currently, I'm putting all my focus into the snatch test coming up. On Friday, September 15th, I did a heavy snatch day.

I began with a 2-minute Snatch test after a decent warm-up. I got 44; once again, this came down to my counting. I really do realise how important it is to have targets to aim for.

So, I did 19-15-10 instead of 15-15-10-10. After the 15, I felt inclined to take a quick breather at the top of the 34th rep, just a moment. I think I underestimated just how much time I had. Anyway, I'm aiming for 48-50, so I can see the extra reps at 19 made me a little more tired, with 10 reps ahead of me, not 6. This encouraged me to take a moment to breathe, and then I blew the target.

I then went on to do snatches at 28kg for 10 minutes EMOM (I had a class).

Sunday, September 17th - Ran 5km.

Monday, September 18th - Swing day.

I started with a 2-minute snatch test; I had my other coach count my reps. I hit 47! Form was decent, and to be honest, I think I switched to double breathing too early, which would have allowed me at least another rep or two. So, I'm happy and learning. I was tired, but it wasn't the worst I've felt with snatches.

I then did single-arm swings for 20 minutes EMOM, for 5 reps.

That's me caught up. I must learn how to upload videos or pictures on here to start logging some of these.

Another Wednesday (20th Sept), another Snatch test.

I messed this one up in different ways, but still no pass to move back on with SFL prep. Yes, I am rushing this, but that's the problem with having to pass this alongside the SFL. I kinda want it done so I can concentrate on SFL.

I completed the skill tests first before snatch testing, absolutely fine.

So with All Terrain Conditioning this weekend, I thought now would be a good time to test the snatch test, and then I can submit it. I failed with 88 this time. I got to 50 in 2:15, so I'm pretty happy with that. I then went right into a breath break at the top of the press, then went 10 reps right and attempted 10 reps left. On rep 7, for no reason at all, I hesitated the rep and had to pull back halfway up the snatch, then park it. I knew at this point - FAIL. But I continued on the off chance, took a longer breather as I was blowing. Back in at 3 left, 6 right, and then another 10 seconds' rest. I kinda lost balance on rep 74 a little, and this just threw everything off, even though I recovered, my nervous system just didn't feel steady today. I finished knowing I messed up. I did 7 followed by 1 and got 88.

In summary, I really think my breathing and recovery are the limiting factors here. I'm going to change my plan, look into some heavier snatching/swinging, incorporate some breath work, and experiment with density training in two different ways. I'll snatch three times a week and see if that can help me move closer to the pass I need. My target is Mid October as a pass date. This leaves me with very little time, around six weeks until SFL, but last time I checked, I wasn't a million miles off.

It was a very frustrating day.

Back
Top Bottom