all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Red Zone

All of these are great options!

Here's yet another one:

Yeah! That's a good one. Done it couple times.
Hello @masa

You are welcome.

My mobility and flexibility routine is fairly simple:
- Head nods
- Shoulder dislocates
- Toe touches from standing position (leg straight) and from the ground
- Squat (a#@ to grass)
- Front and lateral split and 'pancake'
- Full back bridge
- Twist hold
- Lizzard and bear crawl

It works well on me, lasts about 5-6 minutes. I do it religiously on a daily basis. I do not have any issue regarding flexibility and mobility though (for instance, I can do splits, etc...). Therefore, it maintains my abilities
Looks good!
If the bare minimum is required, it may be:
- Splits & squats
- Toe touches
- Full back bridge
- Animal walk
I can't do any of those due to back and knee restrictions.
Kind regards,

Pet'

Turkish getups and 2-3x Jiujitsu lessons in a week are where the vast majority of my mobility work comes from.
Awesome! Nice amount of mobbing you have there. So mobility wise S&S is better than RZ, because there's TGU in S&S.

Awesome! Nice amount of mobbing you have there. So mobility wise S&S is better than RZ, because there's TGU in S&S.
Nah. S&S isn't better. Just different. Ideally, you would do both programs together or do something IN ADDITION to either one (RZ or S&S).

Thanks @pet' for the summary! Now I have all the threads in one post, what a treat. What kind of mobility routine you recommend? Would Aleks Salkin's 9-min KB/BW strength challenge be enough. I'm planning to do flying dog and hip bridges as a warm up from the Tim Ferriss' 4-hour body book.
Try these mobility warm-up routines that I've used with my Coaching clients.

My current 5.5 minute warm-up:

A 12-minute version:

Another variation used Mon, Wed, Fri:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Hello @masa

You can do on alternate days S&S and RZ.

If RZ is your 'main routine' and want to progress on it, then do not hesitate to reduce the weight of your S&S sessions (16 or 20kg TGU for instance)

An alternative could also be to dedicate 5-10 minutes to relatively light TGU as warm up before your RZ sessions

Kind regards,

Pet'

Nah. S&S isn't better. Just different. Ideally, you would do both programs together or do something IN ADDITION to either one (RZ or S&S).
I really like to start with the RZ. I've done a lot of S&S in the past and I was in a Timeless Simple level back in 2017.
Try these mobility warm-up routines that I've used with my Coaching clients.

My current 5.5 minute warm-up:

A 12-minute version:

Another variation used Mon, Wed, Fri:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Thanks for the warm up routines. Some of the movements are familiar already, which helps a ton.
Hello @masa

You can do on alternate days S&S and RZ.

If RZ is your 'main routine' and want to progress on it, then do not hesitate to reduce the weight of your S&S sessions (16 or 20kg TGU for instance)

An alternative could also be to dedicate 5-10 minutes to relatively light TGU as warm up before your RZ sessions

Kind regards,

Pet'
I guess I'm going to use RZ as my main routine. I'm seeking a program, which I can follow a long period of time. I'm not ready for the S&S yet, because of the issues. I think I can do some light get ups, but not heavy yet. It's a kind of sad though, because I've done get up with a 40 kg bell in the past. Oh well, fortunately I like to press, so I hope RZ will deliver.

Hello @masa

Hopefully, you'll heal soon !

I did RZ with 24kg for quite some time. For a while, I did in simultaneously with S&S (32kg, bdw is 62-64). I also did it as a "stand alone", doing other stuff on alternate days, for months. It maintained fairly easily my TGU at 32. Strength-wise, this program really delivers !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd also recommend block training 2-4 weeks of S&S and 2-4 weeks of RZ as another way to cook this particular roast.

Hello @masa

Hopefully, you'll heal soon !
Thanks! Nothing major, but chronicle.
I did RZ with 24kg for quite some time. For a while, I did in simultaneously with S&S (32kg, bdw is 62-64). I also did it as a "stand alone", doing other stuff on alternate days, for months. It maintained fairly easily my TGU at 32. Strength-wise, this program really delivers !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks for the input. I start with RZ and maybe do some light get ups during the warmup and then see if I can incorporate some blocks of S&S. But emphasis is on RZ.
I'd also recommend block training 2-4 weeks of S&S and 2-4 weeks of RZ as another way to cook this particular roast.
Thanks! I try to do blocks of both when it's possible.

I'm actually doing Red Zone these days to improve my fencing and judo. Red Zone is essentially the same as S&S except that you switch out the TGUs for 1h military presses.

I'm more worried about my fencing than my judo these days, and fencing is an extremely ASYMMETRICAL LOAD combat art and sport. Thus, all the 1 handed swings and especially presses replicate beautifully the kind of strength and power needed for fencing. However, that stuff is all still excellent for judo too.

The presses strengthen the shoulders and forearms, which are critical for manipulating the swords. However, it's actually the stabilizing muscles on the other side of the body that need the strengthening the most. The body has to get used to a constant, violent asymmetrical load where the critical point is the right hand being balanced out by the entire left side of the body. Asymmetrical exercises where you have the weight in your right hand and where your left side is doing hard work balancing the moving weight out, are ideal for fencing.

Doing equal amounts of asymmetrical exercises on both sides of the body cures the physical imbalances that happen to every fencer who does not do this. The old school advice was to train equally with the sword in your right hand as in your left hand. This can be circumvented with asymmetrical weight training. (However, you aren't giong to become an ambidextrous weapons master then though!!!)

While mere asymmetrical strength from my kettlebelling was not enough to jump into fencing and do well at first, now that I have two years of intensive fencing training behind me, I have reactivated my kettlebell asymmetrical strength training, and it is jumping me up several levels in fencing FAST!

1. Sport appropriate strength without skill is a good start only.
  2. Sport specific skill without sport appropriate strength means you need to develop the sport appropriate strength!

I'm actually doing Red Zone these days to improve my fencing and judo. Red Zone is essentially the same as S&S except that you switch out the TGUs for 1h military presses.

I'm more worried about my fencing than my judo these days, and fencing is an extremely ASYMMETRICAL LOAD combat art and sport. Thus, all the 1 handed swings and especially presses replicate beautifully the kind of strength and power needed for fencing. However, that stuff is all still excellent for judo too.

The presses strengthen the shoulders and forearms, which are critical for manipulating the swords. However, it's actually the stabilizing muscles on the other side of the body that need the strengthening the most. The body has to get used to a constant, violent asymmetrical load where the critical point is the right hand being balanced out by the entire left side of the body. Asymmetrical exercises where you have the weight in your right hand and where your left side is doing hard work balancing the moving weight out, are ideal for fencing.

Doing equal amounts of asymmetrical exercises on both sides of the body cures the physical imbalances that happen to every fencer who does not do this. The old school advice was to train equally with the sword in your right hand as in your left hand. This can be circumvented with asymmetrical weight training. (However, you aren't giong to become an ambidextrous weapons master then though!!!)

While mere asymmetrical strength from my kettlebelling was not enough to jump into fencing and do well at first, now that I have two years of intensive fencing training behind me, I have reactivated my kettlebell asymmetrical strength training, and it is jumping me up several levels in fencing FAST!

1. Sport appropriate strength without skill is a good start only.
  2. Sport specific skill without sport appropriate strength means you need to develop the sport appropriate strength!
This is EXACTLY how a minimalist program should be utilized!

Otherwise, if no sports training, people need total-body sessions.

I'm about to start S&S soon, but I'm more interested of doing Red Zone instead, maybe because I'm a better at presses than doing get ups. Is RZ enough as a stand alone program?

Hello @masa

Yes it is a wonderful stand alone program. On your rest day you can perform whatever activity you like. You can go for LISS (walking, cycling...), martial arts, even only sets of swings to perform them on a daily basis as you would do in S&S

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @masa

Yes it is a wonderful stand alone program. On your rest day you can perform whatever activity you like. You can go for LISS (walking, cycling...), martial arts, even only sets of swings to perform them on a daily basis as you would do in S&S

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you for your encouragement. Maybe I will start with RZ and see if I'm going to use blocks with the S&S later. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom