all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Red Zone

I'm about to start S&S soon, but I'm more interested of doing Red Zone instead, maybe because I'm a better at presses than doing get ups. Is RZ enough as a stand alone program?
Yes!

As always, the swings account for about 80-90% of the beneficial exercise. The TGUs or the presses, or even pushups or dips are just to smoothe over a few gaps left by the swings in terms of pushing strength. The reason they chose TGUs for S&S is because of their multi-directional aspect and overall athletic balance qualities, I think. The presses are way more practical than TGUs for fencing since ''bent arm strength'' is needed.

This is EXACTLY how a minimalist program should be utilized!

Otherwise, if no sports training, people need total-body sessions.
Yes, precisely! I did without much kettlebell training for the past two years and was staying fit and strong just with fencing, judo and hiking. Frankly speaking, anything I am doing with kettlebells now is just a bonus. I am getting a full workout already with my sports. Just presses would be enough to improve aspects of my sports. I am using kettlebells now more to enhance my sports than as my primary exercise.

Yes!

As always, the swings account for about 80-90% of the beneficial exercise. The TGUs or the presses, or even pushups or dips are just to smoothe over a few gaps left by the swings in terms of pushing strength. The reason they chose TGUs for S&S is because of their multi-directional aspect and overall athletic balance qualities, I think. The presses are way more practical than TGUs for fencing since ''bent arm strength'' is needed.
Yes, I'm going to keep the swings as is and toy with the presses, get ups and maybe even push presses. But the swing is the thing, so to speak.
Yes, precisely! I did without much kettlebell training for the past two years and was staying fit and strong just with fencing, judo and hiking. Frankly speaking, anything I am doing with kettlebells now is just a bonus. I am getting a full workout already with my sports. Just presses would be enough to improve aspects of my sports. I am using kettlebells now more to enhance my sports than as my primary exercise.
I'm glad you have found a balance between your SSP and GPP. I'm going to use kettlebell as a main tool and support it with walking and disc golfing.

There is a subtle difference between using the kettlebell as your primary exercise tool and using it to enhance your primary exercises or sports. I think the TGU is a better exercise than the press, for example, due to it being a more involved, complicated movement with more benefits, but the press is better for the ''bent arm strength'' stuff that is important for basically using your arms, hehe. Still, the key movement in the stuff we are talking about here is the swing, and this is a special exercise that does a huge amount of good for the entire body, all in just one simple movement. The 1h swing activates both pulling and twisting strength systems, so this covers pretty much everything. The pushing stuff fills in the little gaps.

In any case, I prefer kettlebells over dumbbells for presses since they don't threaten to hit me in the head when I lift them overhead. :)

Been doing other stuff lately. Mostly cleans and push presses. There's still some back ache, no matter what I do. So, planning to give RZ a go. Probably starting on Tuesday. I want to do some HardStyle training and see if that makes the difference low back wisely.

Hello @masa

You can pair RZ with McGill's Big 3, which is usually great for lower back

Kind regards,

Pet'

RZ didn't happen today, but I bought a new distance driver for a disc golf. My current fair way driver got a company, YEY!

I am glad this thread is revived, because I was thinking a lot about RZ and its variations. I am going to have 2-3 busy weeks ahead, but after them, I'd like to jump on structured program again, and this is a serious candidate.

My thoughts:
  • the program allows you to have 1-2 variety days weekly. TGU, goblet squats, reverse lunges, rows, single bell OH squat, ab work.
  • I believe RZ layout allows some customization - I will replace first or second portion of press by TGU or double ktb front squat, will see how it works. Those moves will be then excluded from variety days. Example workout: TGU (5 left, 5right) - swing - double ktb C&P - like S&S with topping. I just like presses more than TGU. If I replace one portion of press with squat, it's a classic push-pull-squat.
  • My wife is currently starting RZ, but with clean and push press instead of C&P. Almost perfect AGT from my point of view. After finishing it on the minute with 16kg, she can jump to 20kg bell.

I am glad this thread is revived, because I was thinking a lot about RZ and its variations. I am going to have 2-3 busy weeks ahead, but after them, I'd like to jump on structured program again, and this is a serious candidate.

My thoughts:
  • the program allows you to have 1-2 variety days weekly. TGU, goblet squats, reverse lunges, rows, single bell OH squat, ab work.
  • I believe RZ layout allows some customization - I will replace first or second portion of press by TGU or double ktb front squat, will see how it works. Those moves will be then excluded from variety days. Example workout: TGU (5 left, 5right) - swing - double ktb C&P - like S&S with topping. I just like presses more than TGU. If I replace one portion of press with squat, it's a classic push-pull-squat.
  • My wife is currently starting RZ, but with clean and push press instead of C&P. Almost perfect AGT from my point of view. After finishing it on the minute with 16kg, she can jump to 20kg bell.
Wow, you have thought this through. I just may consider doing blocks of S&S here and there. Swing pattern is the same, so it’s easy to switch between the presses and get ups.

I know Red Zone is a single bell program but could it work with dubbel bells?
I’m not sure, but you probably should try Get Strong with cleans and push presses, or similar designed specifically to double bells.

Back
Top Bottom