all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I was thinking about doing that. I may try it with my third phase through.
I follow Andy Bolton's progression to get heavy 2HS in.
Three times a week, as an example:
*always done EMOM
Tue - 36k x 5 reps x 5 sets
Thu - 36k x 5r x 7s
Sat - 36k x 5r x 9s
Tue - 36k x 5r x 6s
Thu - 36k x 5r x 8s
Sat - 36k x 5r x 10s
Tue - 36k x 6r x 5s
- i wave the sets up, then down and up again from session to session, then add a rep every two weeks, it's been a great way to hit the posterior at the end of a session, takes little time

I'm eager to try BuiltStrong Minimalist. I bought the book and I've run through setting up a theoretical program a few times, plugging in several different BW/BB/KB movements. The spreadsheet program builder is worth the price alone.

Reading through the thread, sounds like you really enjoy the program. I was only considering running it twice back to back with a week off in between, then going back to a strength focus program like Reload (I ran Reload 2 day a week back to back in late 2022 and had excellent strength gains).

I'm eager to try BuiltStrong Minimalist. I bought the book and I've run through setting up a theoretical program a few times, plugging in several different BW/BB/KB movements. The spreadsheet program builder is worth the price alone.
Absolutely is! And plenty of variations you can run with exercises and volume.

Reading through the thread, sounds like you really enjoy the program. I was only considering running it twice back to back with a week off in between, then going back to a strength focus program like Reload (I ran Reload 2 day a week back to back in late 2022 and had excellent strength gains).
I was only going to run it twice, but I really like it. Also, I'm taking the Programming Demystified seminar in October so I'll have other options then.

Is it possible to create a programme using the speed sheet and then just double up and pick another 3 lifts so you have a BTS6 programme or does it not work like that?

I quickly realized that the Get-ups were killing my left elbow (tendonitis issues).
I started feeling upcoming golfers elbow with 40 kg get-ups, but I got it to disappear by doing 3×15 reverse Tyler twists daily with the blue flexbar. I still keep using the flexbar just in case.

Is it possible to create a programme using the speed sheet and then just double up and pick another 3 lifts so you have a BTS6 programme or does it not work like that?
I haven't run the program yet, but from the weekly volume sheets, having 6 lifts would take a very long time. The book even mentions that on weeks with the highest volume (with 3 lifts) you'll need to ensure you have adequate time for the session. I like to wrap things up in less than 60 mins and I'm anticipating going over on week with the highest volume.

Ah ok. Will be interesting to see how the volume changes for when the BTS 6 product comes out
I agree, looking forward to the update.

While you wait, you could play with the sessions per week. If you read Fabio's article he rotates the schedule depending on availability to train, etc., based on three different workouts. Four or five days is given as the example;

You could probably do that with the minimalist version and adding three assistance exercises that are less taxing (say, curls). Otherwise, I would wait for BTS6.

Just bought BTS3, excited to start with it! I have a question about deadlifts. @renegadenate talked about replacing squats with deadlifts. What do you think about still doing squats and replacing one of the pulls with deadlift as a heavy pull (with using the listed exercises in the manual as medium and light pulls)?

Just bought BTS3, excited to start with it! I have a question about deadlifts. @renegadenate talked about replacing squats with deadlifts. What do you think about still doing squats and replacing one of the pulls with deadlift as a heavy pull (with using the listed exercises in the manual as medium and light pulls)?
I would rather stick with weighted pull-ups, but you could probably could get away with that for your heavy pull exercise.

Only way to know for sure is to try it for at least four weeks on the Regular schedule.

The only issue that may arise is having both a heavy Squat and Heavy Deadlift session each week in addition to your other medium and light leg exercises.

You'll have one session where you Deadlift heavy, push medium, and perform your light leg exercise on the same day.

I found that Double Kettlebell Front Squats are BRUTAL as my Medium exercise because of the volume. I'm going to use a lighter weight in my third phase.

However, Deadlifts absolutely work for your heavy leg exercise for two reasons:

1.) The reps are low (1-5)
2.) The volume is very low

In fact, I would say that the volume for all the heavy lifts is too low to provide hypertrophy and are merely there for strength purposes.

According to PlanStrong guidelines, a volume of 10-20 lifts (total reps) is considered low volume.

With BuiltStrong Minimalist, you'll only reach 15 number of lifts (total reps) if you use the Tough schedule (and only one time in 8 weeks).

The total number of lifts for the heavy exercises ranges from 5-15. This makes for very low volume.

I've found the Deadlift to be perfect for my heavy leg exercise and will be using it again in my third phase of BuiltStrong Minimalist.

I think this could work. Maybe seperate the deadlifts from the squats of the same session.

You could give it a try. Other than that @renegadenate give some solid considerations.

Thank you for your responses gentlemen, they are very helpful.

I would rather stick with weighted pull-ups, but you could probably could get away with that for your heavy pull exercise.
I actually have band-assisted chin-ups as my medium exercise. Prior to now that was a weakness I never addressed, so I prefer deadlifts as something I already know.

I am coming from a 9 month Faleev 5x5 which had up to 25 reps of heavy squats and deadlifts in their respective sessions (not together). Plus as you said, the total volume for a heavy lift is somewhat low, so I feel pretty confident about them.

We shall see in 8 weeks, I will report back with results :)

BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST PHASE TWO TEST RESULTS:

I originally lost two more pounds during the first four weeks but gained back one pound with a few too many sweets and treats.

That's still a total of 8lbs lost (6lbs during both BuiltStrong Minimalist phases) since just before I started.

My arms and shoulders have continued to improve/grow. In fact, my left arm has finally caught up to my right arm and looks the best it ever has!

RM TESTING:

1.) 1-Arm Kettlebell Press (24kg)
Previous RM: 5
New RM: 5

This was disappointing. I was really hoping I would increase my reps by at least one.

Unfortunately, 24kg 1-Arm Presses always felt hard and heavy for me during the entire 8-week program. I will need to do a lot more volume to improve them.

However, my reps AND weight increased on my 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses for the Medium (20kg --> 22kg 8RM) and Light (16kg --> 18kg 12RM) days.

Weighted Pull-ups (BW + 12kg)
Previous RM: 4
New RM: 7

I'm happy with that! I'll be using the same weight for my third phase but go from 1-2-3 Ladders to 2-3-5 Ladders.

My Chin-up RM also improved (12 --> 15) Renegade Rows stayed challenging the entire time with a pair of 24kg kettlebells for Ladders of 2-4-6.

Barbell Deadlift
I did not retest! My groin has been bothering me for most of the program and kept getting aggravated with DKFS and Deadlifts.

I'll be switching to a low-bar Trap Bar next phase.

I'm currently retesting exercises, weights, and RM's for my third BuiltStrong Minimalist phase that will begin next week.

I've figured out which exercises work best for me for the different intensity levels (Heavy, Medium, Light) and provide me with the best results!

I'll update with my next BuiltStrong Minimalist phase in a couple days once I finish testing.

BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST PHASE TWO TEST RESULTS:

I originally lost two more pounds during the first four weeks but gained back one pound with a few too many sweets and treats.

That's still a total of 8lbs lost (6lbs during both BuiltStrong Minimalist phases) since just before I started.

My arms and shoulders have continued to improve/grow. In fact, my left arm has finally caught up to my right arm and looks the best it ever has!

RM TESTING:

1.) 1-Arm Kettlebell Press (24kg)
Previous RM: 5
New RM: 5

This was disappointing. I was really hoping I would increase my reps by at least one.

Unfortunately, 24kg 1-Arm Presses always felt hard and heavy for me during the entire 8-week program. I will need to do a lot more volume to improve them.

However, my reps AND weight increased on my 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses for the Medium (20kg --> 22kg 8RM) and Light (16kg --> 18kg 12RM) days.

Weighted Pull-ups (BW + 12kg)
Previous RM: 4
New RM: 7

I'm happy with that! I'll be using the same weight for my third phase but go from 1-2-3 Ladders to 2-3-5 Ladders.

My Chin-up RM also improved (12 --> 15) Renegade Rows stayed challenging the entire time with a pair of 24kg kettlebells for Ladders of 2-4-6.

Barbell Deadlift
I did not retest! My groin has been bothering me for most of the program and kept getting aggravated with DKFS and Deadlifts.

I'll be switching to a low-bar Trap Bar next phase.

I'm currently retesting exercises, weights, and RM's for my third BuiltStrong Minimalist phase that will begin next week.

I've figured out which exercises work best for me for the different intensity levels (Heavy, Medium, Light) and provide me with the best results!

I'll update with my next BuiltStrong Minimalist phase in a couple days once I finish testing.
Great results!

Keep in mind, that your relative strength has improved if you lost weight but kept your 1RM the same.

Just in case: Pavel and Favio recommend to test heavier weights before lighter weights.

Great results!
Thank you! I'm very pleased with this program. It's my favorite StrongFirst one for sure (we'll see what Programming Demystified has to offer soon!).

Keep in mind, that your relative strength has improved if you lost weight but kept your 1RM the same.
True. And all my other exercises improved by weight and/or reps.

I just really want to hit that half body-weight 1-Arm Kettlebell Press. I've been so close (1-2kg) in the past!!

Just in case: Pavel and Favio recommend to test heavier weights before lighter weights.
For sure! I test the heavy stuff by itself and test the others after some rest.

MY NEW (3rd) BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST 8-WEEK CYCLE!

I spent this week testing my RM's and going through the same workouts I'll be performing for my new 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle.

Workouts were performed at a medium volume to get a good feel of everything and make sure I chose the right exercises, weights, and RM's.

Just like the last two phases of my BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle, I will be performing the "Tough" schedule for all of my Heavy exercises as I can handle a higher volume of heavy lifts.

However, I will also be using the "Tough" schedule for all of my PRESSING exercises (Heavy, Medium, Light).

I'm going to use the "Regular" schedule for my Medium and Light PULLING exercises (Renegade Rows & Chin-ups), and I'm going to use the "Minimal" schedule for my Medium and Light SQUATTING/LEG exercises (DKBFS & Split Squats).

I'm purposely doing this based on my priorities (improve my pressing), my strengths (pulling exercises), and the issues with my knees (arthritis) and groin (I need less volume on the leg work).

Once again, I have changed some of my exercises around including the Low-Bar Trap Bar Deadlift in place of Barbell Deadlifts for the Heavy squat day. Other exercise choices come from what I did in my first two phases. I've found these to be the best ones (for me) based on the weights, reps, and volume performed for my goals.

My new weekly schedule and exercise choices look like this:

Mon:
BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Double Kettlebell Presses / Medium: DKBFS / Light: BW Chin-ups)

Tues: Rest or something easy

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Low-Bar Trap Bar Deadlifts / Medium: Renegade Rows / Light: BW Dips)

Thurs: Rest or something easy

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Weighted Pull-ups / Medium: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Light: Split Squats)

Sat: Rest or something easy (hiking/rucking)

Sun: Off

I'm performing my 5.5 minute warm-up prior to all sessions (including S&S) just like the last two phases.

Just like the last two phases, I'll be performing all BuiltStrong Minimalist sessions as a Circuit following the EMOM approach and taking an extra 30-60 seconds of rest when needed. I also add warm-up sets as needed on Heavy and Medium exercises as part of the Circuit (this also helps even out some of the rounds/sets).

My goals are to continue losing fat (but not the priority) while increasing strength and gaining some more muscle.

As far as diet goes, I pretty much stick to three protein/carb meals each day and some days have a low-carb meal that has more fat. I'm eating a lot more carbs than I have in more than 13 years (this is also what led to my weight loss during my last two BuiltStrong Minimalist cycles).

I'll make some progress posts during the next 8 weeks and any tweaks I need to make along the way.

MY NEW (3rd) BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST 8-WEEK CYCLE!

I spent this week testing my RM's and going through the same workouts I'll be performing for my new 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle.

Workouts were performed at a medium volume to get a good feel of everything and make sure I chose the right exercises, weights, and RM's.

Just like the last two phases of my BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle, I will be performing the "Tough" schedule for all of my Heavy exercises as I can handle a higher volume of heavy lifts.

However, I will also be using the "Tough" schedule for all of my PRESSING exercises (Heavy, Medium, Light).

I'm going to use the "Regular" schedule for my Medium and Light PULLING exercises (Renegade Rows & Chin-ups), and I'm going to use the "Minimal" schedule for my Medium and Light SQUATTING/LEG exercises (DKBFS & Split Squats).

I'm purposely doing this based on my priorities (improve my pressing), my strengths (pulling exercises), and the issues with my knees (arthritis) and groin (I need less volume on the leg work).

Once again, I have changed some of my exercises around including the Low-Bar Trap Bar Deadlift in place of Barbell Deadlifts for the Heavy squat day. Other exercise choices come from what I did in my first two phases. I've found these to be the best ones (for me) based on the weights, reps, and volume performed for my goals.

My new weekly schedule and exercise choices look like this:

Mon:
BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Double Kettlebell Presses / Medium: DKBFS / Light: BW Chin-ups)

Tues: Rest or something easy

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Low-Bar Trap Bar Deadlifts / Medium: Renegade Rows / Light: BW Dips)

Thurs: Rest or something easy

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Weighted Pull-ups / Medium: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Light: Split Squats)

Sat: Rest or something easy (hiking/rucking)

Sun: Off

I'm performing my 5.5 minute warm-up prior to all sessions (including S&S) just like the last two phases.

Just like the last two phases, I'll be performing all BuiltStrong Minimalist sessions as a Circuit following the EMOM approach and taking an extra 30-60 seconds of rest when needed. I also add warm-up sets as needed on Heavy and Medium exercises as part of the Circuit (this also helps even out some of the rounds/sets).

My goals are to continue losing fat (but not the priority) while increasing strength and gaining some more muscle.

As far as diet goes, I pretty much stick to three protein/carb meals each day and some days have a low-carb meal that has more fat.
I'm eating a lot more carbs than I have in more than 13 years (this is also what led to my weight loss during my last two BuiltStrong Minimalist cycles).

I'll make some progress posts during the next 8 weeks and any tweaks I need to make along the way.
Sounds like a reasonable approach. I like it! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom